Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: DDD Hijinx

  1. #1
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,812

    DDD Hijinx

    Anyone know these kids? I know he is a freshman at West . . . and he has a brother who just graduated. Neat that we live in a community that the words "redacted" are bandied about like it is completely normal and one had no problem calling my neighbor a "redacted"

    Gotta be some proud parents out there.

    If this were my kid, the Xbox would be broken over his head. And summer would be over.

    May have to be a member of the FB group to view.

  2. #2
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    [URL=[/URL]

    Anyone know these kids? I know he is a freshman at West . . . and he has a brother who just graduated. Neat that we live in a community that the words "redacted" are bandied about like it is completely normal and one had no problem calling my neighbor a "redacted"

    Gotta be some proud parents out there.

    If this were my kid, the Xbox would be broken over his head. And summer would be over.

    May have to be a member of the FB group to view.
    Bad link...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,812
    Yeah, you have to be a member of Glen Ellyn Eparents on Facebook to see it.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular mamattorney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    447
    Exactly how many social media outlets is this story going to be shared with? This is no longer - do you know this person - as you seem to know exactly who he is and you and/or the person affected can address his actions legally or with his parents.

    Mob shaming (and trying hard not to be a part of it) is something I’ve talked to my young teens about relative to their own social media behavior. Does anyone really need 100+ parents across at least three social media platforms individually shaming a local kid?

  5. #5
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,812
    Wait . . . it has been elsewhere? Other than EParents? I do not know the kid. I know his details. Do not know the name, location, etc. And, yes, this is happening across the street from me.

    Living where I live is both a blessing and a curse. 98% blessing, 2% curse. It is unique to Glen Ellyn. We chose this location intentionally and it has paid off in spades. That said, as I get older, I become more vigilant to protect that 98/2 ratio (49/1, if you will). Much the same way I am guessing that you would defend and stand up for your own.

    It would be one thing if this were the occasional DDD prank. We have all done it. It's quite another issue when it becomes the new thing to do and devolves into such utter disrespect (repeated"redacted"), misogyny ("redacted") , and racism ("redacted"). At an age when a kid should know better. And if he doesn't know better at this, like everyone else who exhibits these traits at an age where they should, I suppose that yes, they need to be called out. Let me know how you'd handle this in your neighborhood.

    If you know this young man, feel free to send me a PM and I will kill the thread. Don't think of this as mob shaming, think of it as information mining that can handed over to the proper authorities in order to put an end to the situation.

    And if you have a better solution or a better way to glean this information, I am all ears. And belly. OK . . . I am mostly all belly.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular mamattorney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    447
    I have no idea who this kid is, but clearly someone does {deleted identifying information}

    And this was first shared with Nextdoor - where it received 19 replies; then on Glen Ellyn Eparents, where it garnered 80 comments. He (whoever he is) has been called out. Perhaps we should remove the horse trough and put in some stocks where he can be placed for 24 hours so we can all spit on him as we drive down Main and Crescent.

    Glass houses and all that . . . I count my blessings every day that when I was 14, cameras had film and social media didn't exist.
    Last edited by mamattorney; 05-30-2018 at 12:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum All Star middlein87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Posh YMCA District
    Posts
    2,099
    Some of my high school buddies took things to a different level. They created what they called the Tapper (TM). It was a little hinged knocker that you would duct tape near the top of the door. A fishing line could be used to activate the Tapper (TM) from a safe distance. They would hide in some bushes a few houses away, and hilarity ensued.

    No racial epithets, though, as far as I knew.

  8. #8
    Forum All Star jombl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,735
    Mamattorney's sentiment is widely shared by many. It's terrible enough to have returned so forcefully to our old ways pillorying in the central square. But to go nuclear and turn what was once a hickey of a bad rumour into a now permanent tattoo across the forehead for life on social media is not in anyone's best interest.

    I totally agree with Mama A (and how could anyone not agree) on the need for society to protect all the naive, undeveloped and error prone 14 year olds. I cringe at all of these instances. I can't even imagine the destructive power that naming the youth here (as we did) while spelling out the vile words of a child will have on the adult in a decade or so as graduate schools, employers or potential mates consider that brief reckless moment of childhood....

  9. #9
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,812
    I took down the link because apparently A) it cannot be seen B) it is already all around the internet.

    Now that these young "boys" are safe from identification and punishment here, how would everyone, all twelve of us on this site, handle this situation if it was occurring in your backyard or front porch?

    And, stunningly, I agree about the language that I forwarded. I will delete that also. The language, if you're late to the game, is shocking, racist, misogynistic . . . and if you are using it at the age of 14-15, the odds are against you doing a 180 as you get older.

    So, who is in. Let's assume this happened at your house . . . and to your wife.

  10. #10
    Forum All Star jombl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    how would everyone handle this situation if it was occurring in your backyard or front porch?
    ...

    So, who is in? Let's assume this happened at your house . . . and to your wife.
    Tell friends, neighbors. Yell at the parents. Even post the images with the identifying headshot and jersey number omitted. All fair. A police report is easy, as would be the police identifying the child in about 2 minutes. It's the social media attachment for life to an identified child that is the issue.

    As for me, I would write the head of the organization whose uniform and number he sports and demand an explanation for the two players and the team's culture that may have led to the incident - as well as an apology from the players and their parents. I would put them through the wringer, for the moment and in passing, and then not think twice about it.

    It was once said that railroad workers carried a shotgun - but loaded it with salt. Salt no doubt was far less effective than lead at keeping the riff-raff away. In the end, nothing really prevented them from using a full 3 1/2" tube of #00 buckshot for keeping their yards clean, – except, of course, their own self restraint and moral sense for the level of appropriate violence.
    Last edited by jombl; 05-30-2018 at 11:16 AM.

  11. #11
    Forum All Star DTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    I took down the link because apparently A) it cannot be seen B) it is already all around the internet.

    Now that these young "boys" are safe from identification and punishment here, how would everyone, all twelve of us on this site, handle this situation if it was occurring in your backyard or front porch?

    And, stunningly, I agree about the language that I forwarded. I will delete that also. The language, if you're late to the game, is shocking, racist, misogynistic . . . and if you are using it at the age of 14-15, the odds are against you doing a 180 as you get older.

    So, who is in. Let's assume this happened at your house . . . and to your wife.
    1. Get a Ring doorbell with camera system.
    2. Post video on the internet.

  12. #12
    Forum All Star middlein87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Posh YMCA District
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    It was once said that railroad workers carried a shotgun - but loaded it with salt. Salt no doubt was far less effective than lead at keeping the riff-raff away.
    My father and his young friends used to hop garage roof to garage roof in the "old neighborhood" of the 1950's (Wicker Park/Noble Square was the Polish hood back in the day). Anywhoo, some of the neighbors didn't appreciate their idea of fun and indeed did shoot at them with salt shot. He never got hit but some of buddies did. Hurt like hell if it broke skin. They learned what houses to avoid (unless somebody dared you, of course).

    Supposedly somebody pounded nails the wrong way through the roof to really really discourage the roof hoppers, but I always doubted his story about that. Who would ruin their roof like that?

  13. #13
    Forum All Star jombl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,735
    Are you sure that some of the Wicker Park roofs in the '50s weren't just put on upside down?

  14. #14
    Forum All Star middlein87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Posh YMCA District
    Posts
    2,099
    You wouldn't believe how many of them it took to screw in a light bulb

  15. #15
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Some of my high school buddies took things to a different level. They created what they called the Tapper (TM). It was a little hinged knocker that you would duct tape near the top of the door. A fishing line could be used to activate the Tapper (TM) from a safe distance. They would hide in some bushes a few houses away, and hilarity ensued.

    No racial epithets, though, as far as I knew.
    We did this all the time... Thank God there was no ring doorbell or this and all our other pranks would of been discovered.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •