Thread: Katelyn Hart...again

Katelyn Hart...again

Glenbard West's Hart leaves mark in U.S. prep history (link) Daily Herald

...Katelynne Hart is perhaps the most extraordinary sophomore female athlete in the United States.

Hart, who catapulted Glenbard West to the Class 3A girls track and field team championship last spring by completing the distance Triple Crown (state cross country, 1,600 and 3,200 titles), etched a new standard in Illinois history in the 3,200 run.

The IHSA considers only all-time records set at the state meet, but Hart ran what is believed to be the second-fastest time in U.S. history Saturday morning with her time of 9 minutes, 52.02 seconds.

California native Kim Mortensen set the American high school record in 1996 with her 9:48.59.

"I was going to go into (the race) and see how I was feeling," said Hart, who also won the 1,600 in 4:51.03 before concluding her day by anchoring the Hilltoppers' 1,600 relay to another win. "My mile (split) was like 4:54, 4:55. I was like, 'I have to go for this hard.' Today I really surprised myself."

Hart has already won an indoor Nike Balance national championship in the mile this season.

"She executed the race plan nearly to perfection," Glenbard West distance coach Paul Hass said. "With about two laps to go, I said, 'Today is the day.' She went out a little faster than I would have liked. It was a special moment."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Hart ran what is believed to be the second-fastest time in U.S. history
    This is so amazing, and her smile at the finish was priceless.

I heard from someone that was there that the entire crowd, opposing fans and all were cheering her on too. Amazing performance...

New article from today...excerpted...

Girls track and field: Glenbard West's Hart closing in on state, national records (link) Daily Herald

"Records are made to be broken. Glenbard West sophomore Katelynne Hart is on pace to break one.

A quick Internet search produced a 2011 Maxpreps.com article, "Ten most untouchable track and field prep records." Listed at No. 8 was Kim Mortensen's 3,200-meter time of 9 minutes, 48.59 seconds, which the California runner accomplished in 1996.

Two weeks after setting the nation's top girls outdoor 3,200 time this season of 10:02.56 at Arcadia, California, on Saturday in Glen Ellyn Hart put herself in position by running 9:52.02 at the Sue Pariseau Invitational.

As Daily Herald correspondent Kevin McGavin reported, that broke Woodstock graduate Kayla Beattie's prior Illinois-best 9:56.96 from the 2011 state finals, which still stands as the Illinois High School Association record because state records are taken only from state meets.

According to Mike Newman of ILXCTF.com, Hart ran the fastest time ever for an American girl as a sophomore, the fifth fastest American girls time ever combining 3,200-meter and 2-mile runners."
    Last edited by Cliché; 04-24-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    I heard from someone that was there that the entire crowd, opposing fans and all were cheering her on too.
    Along this line, the comments from the runner-up were pure class.

Nice video clip of Ms. Hart speaking on ABC 7

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/glenba...-star/3391545/

What more can be said about this young lady. Gifted and talented, and a hard worker, congratulations AGAIN (x5)!!

"Katelynne Hart has ascended to new heights. The Glenbard West junior continued her streak of never losing a cross country or track state series event Saturday at Detweiller Park. "(Hart) may be the greatest athlete in the history of Illinois," Wheaton Warrenville South girls cross country coach Rob Harvey said after the Glenbard West junior won her seventh consecutive state championship in cross country and track with her third straight title in Class 3A. She completed the course in 15 minutes, 59.82 seconds.

"I told her it would be great if she graduated early. It's the only way anyone can beat her."

More here...
    https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/2...aight-at-state

Foot Locker Cross Country National Championships on Saturday.

Katelynne Hart (Glen Ellyn, Ill.) is the highest returning finisher from last year, as she was runner-up in 2017. She was third at the Midwest region meet and 16th at Nike last weekend.

The meet will be live streamed beginning at 10 a.m. CST with the girls race beginning at 11:15 p.m. and the boys will take the course at noon.

The live stream can be found at www.footlockercc.com.

Good luck Katelynne!