Thread: Get Filthy at Crab and Spice

Get Filthy at Crab and Spice

The teenager and I have had a hankering for crawfish lately so I finally got to try out Crab & Spice which is on Rte. 53 in Woodridge down by the Seven Bridges IMAX area. This is a little strip mall eatery, in a spot that used to be occupied, if I recall correctly, by Clara's Diner which relocated to a larger location just north on 53.

We went in at about 7PM on a Saturday and the small room was packed. A table for two was a 30 minute wait. There's an 8 seat bar along the wall so it was just enough time to sip a Duvel and watch some of the Hawks game.

This place specializes (and by that I mean ONLY makes) boiled/steamed shellfish. We were out for crawfish, but they also serve mussels, lobster, king crab, snow crab, dungeness crab, and shrimp. Minimum order is a pound and everything is market price. When I was there, crawfish was $14, mussels $11, snow crab legs $19, King crab legs $32, Lobster was $39 for a 1.5 pounder, they were out of Dungeness, and shrimp was $13, $16, and $19 for whole, headless, and peeled/deveined, respectively. You order your shellfish type, and select from three different sauces (or the Ultimate - a mix of all three), and your sides. The cajun and Ultimate have three heat levels. I opted for hot, and it was just the right amount, your lips will be tingling and you'll have slight sniffle when you're done. My son had the cajun. My recommendation - go for the Ultimate. My son agreed after trying some of mine. We got corn on the cob as our side.

The decoration and vibe is completely casual. The furniture is presumably meant to recall a "lobster shack" type of thing. The tables and benches are constructed of 2x4 lumber painted black and they use composite decking material for the tops. But they'll cover the table tops with a heavily wax impregnated white butcher paper. With all the shell cracking and peeling going on, things get messy, and the first thing you'll receive when you sit down is your plastic bib. There are a couple hand washing stations in the corner for when you've gotten sloppy enough.

We ordered some soup of the day New England clam chowder before our meals. It was very good and I'm almost positive it was homemade. Your food arrives, in all its glory, in a clear, thick, plastic bag, with the shellfish and your sides (depending on what they are) swimming around in your sauce selection. Holy crap, it was good. The crawfish are of average size, with I would say about a third of them big enough to actually get claw meat out of. The sauce (ultimate, hot) was simply awesome. It is a mix of their lemon pepper, garlic butter, and cajun sauces. The corn on the cob was really good, but I'm telling you, when it was dredged into the sauce at the bottom of the bag it took it to a heavenly level. I know what you're thinking - it's just corn on the cob. But I'm here to tell you, it was amazing. I'd go back just for the corn.

We worked through our pounds of crawfish and I had to order another pound for us to split and three more corns. We ordered the Medium Ultimate since the son doesn't like to go as hot as the old man. Looking around at the other tables, it seems like most were here for crab and shrimp, so I may try that the next time I go. And that will not be long. This place rocks!

Knowing the answer ahead of asking . . . but was the Duvel on tap or in a bottle?

How big is this place?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    It would be nice if some local eateries would have Duvel, Delerium Tremens or Tripel Karmeliet in bottle or tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Knowing the answer ahead of asking . . . but was the Duvel on tap or in a bottle?

How big is this place?
    Bottle. In fact, I don't think they have anything on draft. You wouldn't want to come here for the booze or beer selection. The only decent beer they had was Duvel and Revolution's IPA in a can (I'm not a huge fan of Revolution).

The place is small. Maybe 15-20 four tops and a few two tops. all moveable to create big group seating as needed. It is one big room, sort of like Main St. Pub. Do a google search and look at the "see photos" link on the right. That tells the whole story, including the tiny bar.

I should note that, looking at the menu on line, they DO serve fried chick tenders, fish and chips, and wings. I must have had my crawfish blinders on and didn't even notice that on the menu. So, if you've got folks who aren't into cracking shells to get their meal - I guess they have some options. I will say that I didn't actually see anyone eating the fried offerings. If you're coming here, you're not coming for chicken tenders.......
    Last edited by middlein87; 04-09-2018 at 11:49 AM.

They gots booze?

They gots booze?
    It's a full bar. Probably not "full" to Clamato's standards (i.e. they've got vodka but I'm not sure if they've got Grey Goose), but they'll get you drunk on whatever liquor pleases you.

Banned
    . . . but was the Duvel on tap or in a bottle?
    Why would you want a bottle conditioned ale ... on tap?

Quote Originally Posted by GEman View Post
    Why would you want a bottle conditioned ale ... on tap?
    I believe the stuff on tap is a single fermentation. But don't hold me to that. Only had it a handful of times.

My neighbor is actually heading to the Duvelorium this summer.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    Lucky neighbor