Thread: Glen Ellyn OK

Forum Hall of Famer

Glen Ellyn OK

History and GE buffs...anyone ever heard of, or know anything about, Glen Ellyn Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma?

Ran across this yesterday, there is a Glen Ellyn Park and street, spelled the same as our GE in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Park was established in 1919, this link has a photo from 1935.
    http://newsok.com/article/5588887/ok...he-early-1940s

Map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gl...!4d-97.4910567

Wonder how and why they stumbled on the same spelling...

Ellyn is the welsh spelling of Ellen....maybe for the same reason?

anyone read this book when they were young? do the stores the kids loot match any stores from that time period?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    do the stores the kids loot match any stores from that time period?
    Not sure about the stores, but they go on some missions down North Ave to a grocery warehouse. In my mind that was the Jewel facilities in Melrose Park.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Somewhat related, but might be a stretch

I saw the sign for this small hamlet while driving through North Dakota some years back, and detoured the 4 miles to see what was up. Well, there wasn't much going on in Glen Ullin. You can take a current tour, courtesy of the Google car, but really, it isn't worth your time. Compared to Glen Ullin, ND, our own Glen Ellyn would be a much better option, even if the alternate reality of some disastrous plague had actually happened. I can also say that Glen Ullin did appear as if the fictional(?) story in the book had happened there instead.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 04-03-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Ellyn is the welsh spelling of Ellen....maybe for the same reason?

anyone read this book when they were young? do the stores the kids loot match any stores from that time period?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City
    I can't remember any of the stores, but many of the families are real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I can't remember any of the stores, but many of the families are real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The author lived on Grand near Riford. All the characters were from that neighborhood and went to Forest Glen.

Acolyte Jester Country Watchhog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Henninger View Post
    The author lived on Grand near Riford. All the characters were from that neighborhood and went to Forest Glen.
    For the love of God, can the Admin/Moderator 1 take Carl off the 30 day posting quarantine?

Forum Hall of Famer
    Veered off 94W and stopped in Glen Ullin yesterday, not sure why, smelled like cows

Picked up some huckleberry toe jam, not sure what it is, will open and try with the flathead cherries I bought

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Veered off 94W and stopped in Glen Ullin yesterday, not sure why, smelled like cows
    Picked up some huckleberry toe jam, not sure what it is, will open and try with the flathead cherries I bought
    Welcome to the exclusive Glen Ullin Club! I couldn't find a restaurant there that remained open past 1995. They did have some real nice grain silos though.

Forum Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Welcome to the exclusive Glen Ullin Club! I couldn't find a restaurant there that remained open past 1995. They did have some real nice grain silos though.
    Gonna stop back tomorrow and get some pics, try to replicate your shot.

Forum Hall of Famer
    OK, shot this "interpretation" at 8:30pm last night, I had to drive more than the 80 mph speed limit to make it before the sun set, did not have a camera with me, just the iPhone...

Forum Hall of Famer
    Best I could do to mimic yours 58

Hey, not bad! Not bad at all. Looks like nothing has changed in that part of town. Glad it is still there. Cost of living seems pretty cheap in Glen Ullin. The downside is actually making a living in Glen Ullin. There was a large & tall rusty red wood grain elevator in the town on the south side of the main street (South Ave.), behind the big one in the pics. I had a good photo of that once, but haven't been able to locate it. It had "Glen Ullin," and very much faded, on the east side of it. I wish I still had that.