Thread: Freight Trains

Freight Trains

Do freight trains sometimes "sit" overnight near Glen Ellyn? I heard an off-and-on "rat-a-tat-tat" last night that was driving me crazy (around 2 AM). It wasn't very loud, and it wouldn't have bothered me had it been constant. It almost sounded like a muted machine gun, lasting about 5 seconds and then stopping. And then starting back up again 20 seconds later. Full disclosure: I am a very light sleeper.

Forum Regular
    We back up to the tracks, and yes, there have been trains staged for a good part of the night. That sound is usually the engine, or the from what I can tell, the refrigerator cars. Since living here, it's been my 'white noise'

Grew up with the same line in my back yard. Hermsdaughter is right. You eventually do not hear the trains . . . running by or sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Grew up with the same line in my back yard. Hermsdaughter is right. You eventually do not hear the trains . . . running by or sitting.
    But I've lived here for 7 years! The low rumble doesn't bother me. It's the off and on quick tommy gun bursts that kept me awake.

It is a train yard out there. Frequent overnight and all day train parking; engines always running and ticking loudly. What's worse is all the diesel fumes. Most of the time the wind blows that northeast, but occasionally, right towards our house.