Thread: Unlimited Refuse collection

Unlimited Refuse collection

Unlimited Refuse collection is back this year! Week of April 16.

https://twitter.com/VillageofGE/stat...987776/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Unlimited Refuse collection is back this year! Week of April 16.

https://twitter.com/VillageofGE/stat...987776/photo/1
    I don't understand why this is such an attraction/benefit for Glen Ellyn. I hear this can cost us taxpayers up to 250K? There are so many 'free' ways to get rid of stuff

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southge View Post
    I don't understand why this is such an attraction/benefit for Glen Ellyn. I hear this can cost us taxpayers up to 250K? There are so many 'free' ways to get rid of stuff
    There are, actually...

Am I to understand that you liked that article so much that you framed it?

I can think of better things to frame:

clown.jpg
    unicorn.jpg
    poker dogs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by southge View Post
    Technically, I don't think it costs the village a dime as, whether you use it or not, the cost of the event is built into your refuse bill every month. Personally . . . I like it. Most of our furniture has come from these events.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Favorite items I've seen include a piano and a snowmobile. Hence the fine print with size/volume limitations we endure today.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Technically, I don't think it costs the village a dime as, whether you use it or not, the cost of the event is built into your refuse bill every month. Personally . . . I like it. Most of our furniture has come from these events.
    Correct, it doesn't cost the village a dime because the residents pay for it!

I like it and have missed it. I know I pay for it, but I hate buying those stupid stickers. Which is now why I am also a curbside composter participant. I didn't have to run out and buy a single paper bag or leaf sticker last summer/fall (I know I pay for this too).

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Correct, it doesn't cost the village a dime because the residents pay for it!
    Correct. Kind of exactly what I said down there. The village spends next to nothing . . . which a lot less than $250,000.

Most of our furniture has come from these events.

Correct. Kind of exactly what I said down there. The village spends next to nothing . . . which a lot less than $250,000.
    okay I used the word Village loosely. I had found the last few events to be disappointing. The scavengers got all of the good stuff. So WE are paying a lot of money for scavengers to pick up stuff for free. Stuff that scavengers would pick up anyway if you put it to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Klok View Post
    Am I to understand that you liked that article so much that you framed it?
    I did like the article very much. It is from 1965. It isn't mine, though. It was framed by, and is owned by Arlo Guthrie. THAT Arlo Guthrie. It is displayed on the wall of the very church building that he hauled the garbage out of in 1965, and is a subject of his song Alice's Restaurant. The song, BTW, is based on that Berkshire Eagle piece. Arlo bought the church building a while back. It is now a folk music center with live musical acts every Saturday, and which hosts artists, teachers and students of music the rest of the week. Still very much hippie-ish on the inside.

Banned
    Looking forward to all the wet, frozen crap in the parkway by Monday morning.

A real shame that GE can't coordinate this (very early this year) "event" with better and warmer weather. May something would be much better. Pretty difficult to be cleaning out an unattached garage or shed when it is in the 30's and 40's. Many less days to do that now. Admittedly, you can't always count rain out of the equation. If this was a month later, and we had more days of warmth to prepare, our pile on the curb would be ten times the size it will be this weekend.

What's everybody looking for, BTW? We're wanting to find some spare 30-gallon plastic containers in somewhat OK condition, even cracked at the top is good. Want to store 100 feet of hose coiled in the bottom of one, with the top 2/3rds cut off. Hate those tall plastic wind-up hose reels things with crank handles. Simpler is always better.