Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Levy

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    ... for mailings.
    By the way, that is the most cost effective way to reach the 80% that don't have children in the system. Unless you are volunteering to go door to door and give District info.

Quote Originally Posted by innovator View Post

UPGRADED MOODY’S RATING TO AA1
    Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded District 41’s general obligation unlimited tax rating to Aa1 from Aa2. According to Moody’s, the upgrade to Aa1 reflects the district’s strong and growing reserves, an affluent tax base in the Chicago suburbs, and a low debt burden. These attributes are balanced against risks associated with state support for the district's contributions to the underfunded Illinois (Baa3 stable) Teachers Retirement System (TRS) and the potential for a shift in pension costs to the district from the state.
    So much for doom and gloom. Excellent news. Great job School Board. Appreciate the conservative approach while keeping programming intact.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    By the way, that is the most cost effective way to reach the 80% that don't have children in the system. Unless you are volunteering to go door to door and give District info.
    What I didn't appreciate was the misuse of the district's(read taxpayers) funds in relation to the political mailings by the district(just under the amount that would have caused it to have to file as a lobbying agency) and the ill gotten list of addresses misused by the printer's wife.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Utilizing the correct word "Appears". Let's revisit this in a few years. Oh yeah, it will be too late by then.
    If the district is continuing to have a surplus ($5 million last year, $4 million this year) how does zeroing the levy hurt in a few years? They are bringing in more revenue than needed. All that needs done for the future is to adjust budget to actuals. Before you argue this point with me, I know that some of the surplus is extra revenue, not savings. However, wasn't there at least $3 million (of the $5 million surplus) that was from money budgeted and not spent? Zeroing the levy was not taking an extra $900k or so (much less than that $3 million). Seems there's a lot of room to adjust the budget, zero the levy and be just fine in the future. What am I missing?

Speaking of the levy.....
    Here's the video where Mrs. Buttimer comments on the levy at at BOE meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Gj5bFItXRTw

Her comments at 41:00. She talks about cuts that will occur if the levy is zeroed. (Note: Did not happen. Chicken Little?) Her solution for long-time residents to be able to afford to stay in Glen Ellyn is to move. That's what I was referring to on another thread that was closed.

This was is interesting too. Her theory is we should be thinking about how much more we can get for our schools at about 47:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZaxW6JmBmOk