Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Hilltopper History

  1. #1
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,171

    Hilltopper History

    Maybe a Christmas gift idea for a Hilltopper Alum...

    Glenbard West English teacher compiles book about school's history — Suburban Life

    Purchase here:
    https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?...GLENBARD&type=

    The book is in three formats – $20 for a softcover book with black and white interior pages, $30 for a softcover book with color interior pages and $50 for a hardcover book with color interior pages.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Maybe a Christmas gift idea for a Hilltopper Alum...

    Glenbard West English teacher compiles book about school's history — Suburban Life

    Purchase here:
    https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?...GLENBARD&type=

    The book is in three formats – $20 for a softcover book with black and white interior pages, $30 for a softcover book with color interior pages and $50 for a hardcover book with color interior pages.
    Has anyone heard how the bell restoration fund raiser is going?

    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    Has anyone heard how the bell restoration fund raiser is going?
    This bell? What's wrong with it?


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    This bell? What's wrong with it?

    I missed this.. The casting is damaged and cracking from the last decade of victories. The boys have switched to a wooden mallet, but an alumnus is working to get the bell back into shape.

    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,171
    Glenbard West victory bell in need of repair (link) — Suburban Life

    " To this day, Glenbard West High School football players continue a long-standing tradition to ring the school's victory bell following a win. Now the 50-year-old bell is in need of some tender loving care, including a new stand. A shared gift from the classes of 1960 and 1966, the bell was presented to the school in April 1967.

    "The bell means a lot to us," said 1966 Glenbard West graduate and class vice president Pete Konkle, who is involved in a campaign to raise $12,000 to restore the bell to its former glory. "That's why we're going to this effort. And it means a lot to the town."

    The fundraising campaign began in the middle of December. The project is estimated to cost $12,500, which includes the cost of shipping the bell to Cincinnati and refinishing and repairing the bell. That cost also includes a new stand, as well as a new foundation for the stand.

    However, a Glen Ellyn resident who works for an international construction company is working on getting the stand made at cost, which would "save us about $3,000," Konkle said.

    "And he's going to arrange the pickup and delivery of the bell, which is going to require some heavy equipment [to move]," he said. "So people are stepping up and helping take care of some of the logistics, which is great because I had no idea how we were going to get that done."

    The fundraising campaign will end Jan. 31. Those who want to contribute should email Konkle at pkonk@aol.com for his mailing address and more information. Checks should be made out to "Glenbard West Boosters." Konkle is collecting the checks. No checks will be cashed unless the fundraising goal is reached, he said."

  6. #6
    Forum All Star DTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    2,815
    how much could you get selling it back to a foundry?

  7. #7
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    how much could you get selling it back to a foundry?
    It's a good thing you moved away from Glen Ellyn...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    It's a good thing you moved away from Glen Ellyn...
    It is grey iron.. You would have to pay them to take it.. One of the scrap trucks that drive around the neighborhood might be interested.

    Steve


    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    It is grey iron.. You would have to pay them to take it.. One of the scrap trucks that drive around the neighborhood might be interested.

    Steve


    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    I'd like to point out that you quoted the wrong person. I am all for the repair of the bell, it was DTM that thought it should be scrapped.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I'd like to point out that you quoted the wrong person. I am all for the repair of the bell, it was DTM that thought it should be scrapped.
    Sorry.. I took the comment in jest if it helps..

    Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Forum All Star DTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I'd like to point out that you quoted the wrong person. I am all for the repair of the bell, it was DTM that thought it should be scrapped.
    I just asked for it's recycle value

  12. #12
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,171
    Glenbard West alumni secure funding for victory bell restoration — Daily Herald

    Weirdly excerpted...

    "Peter Konkle usually makes sure to visit a campus landmark when he returns to Glenbard West High School and relives fond memories from the Class of 1966.

    Konkle and his classmates say they are working to preserve their legacy at Glenbard West and a campus tradition embraced by the Hitters. Football players still celebrate a victory by running up the hill to ring the bell.

    By mid-January, the campaign had raised $10,801 from 93 individual donors, most of whom are 1966 graduates. The class of 1989 also made a gift of $1,600."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •