Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Abe Lincoln PTA is out of line.

  1. #1

    Abe Lincoln PTA is out of line.

    (Edited to say: title is supposed to say “Abe Lincoln PTA out of LINE” not time.)

    Today the Abe Lincoln PTA sent an email that is so freaking out of line I will never join the PTA again (which sucks because the basis of the PTA is amazing!) It is NOT the PTA’s job to get into politics and this is completely out of line. Unfortunately those leading the Abe Lincoln PTA have clear political agendas and as a parent I take great offense to how they are using their role and place within the school. Clearly, too many people in this town are too damn stupid to actually do the research and understand the issues. Shame on the PTA leaders!! I am disgusted (and I don’t even have a political agenda or position except to knock this bullying BS off. We teach our children better than they act...or at least I do).

    “Board of Education to Vote on Levy Recommendation
    Monday, 12/18 7 PM at CSO

    On Monday, 12/18, the Board of Education for District 41 will take action on the levy recommendation provided by D41 administrators, which is the same as the Financial Advisory Committee recommendation. Some board members are currently undecided and considering many alternate scenarios. Their vote on 12/18 could have a long-term impact on District finances.

    Meeting minutes, summaries, and videos are available on the district website. Board Member, Bob Bruno, supports the levy recommendation and will be available to answer questions at the St. Mark's library from 7-9pm Wednesday, 12/13 and 9-11am on Saturday, 12/16.

    Given the busy time, Abe Lincoln PTA has not had a meeting to vote on whether or not to support the levy recommendation and has no endorsement at this time. Abe Lincoln PTA is not affiliated with any of the linked sources, nor does it endorse any information source. Illinois PTA advocates for adequate, equitable, and sustainable sources of revenue for schools. National PTA advocates that Congress #STOPCutsToClassrooms and invest more in public education.

    Please take the time to review the projections, discuss with friends, and email your questions to the board. We hope to see you at the board meeting on Monday, 12/18, 7 PM at the Central Services Office (across from Forest Glen).”




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Forum All Star GE Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by NadaGEM View Post
    (Edited to say: title is supposed to say “Abe Lincoln PTA out of LINE” not time.)

    Today the Abe Lincoln PTA sent an email that is so freaking out of line I will never join the PTA again (which sucks because the basis of the PTA is amazing!) It is NOT the PTA’s job to get into politics and this is completely out of line. Unfortunately those leading the Abe Lincoln PTA have clear political agendas and as a parent I take great offense to how they are using their role and place within the school. Clearly, too many people in this town are too damn stupid to actually do the research and understand the issues. Shame on the PTA leaders!! I am disgusted (and I don’t even have a political agenda or position except to knock this bullying BS off. We teach our children better than they act...or at least I do).

    “Board of Education to Vote on Levy Recommendation
    Monday, 12/18 7 PM at CSO

    On Monday, 12/18, the Board of Education for District 41 will take action on the levy recommendation provided by D41 administrators, which is the same as the Financial Advisory Committee recommendation. Some board members are currently undecided and considering many alternate scenarios. Their vote on 12/18 could have a long-term impact on District finances.

    Meeting minutes, summaries, and videos are available on the district website. Board Member, Bob Bruno, supports the levy recommendation and will be available to answer questions at the St. Mark's library from 7-9pm Wednesday, 12/13 and 9-11am on Saturday, 12/16.

    Given the busy time, Abe Lincoln PTA has not had a meeting to vote on whether or not to support the levy recommendation and has no endorsement at this time. Abe Lincoln PTA is not affiliated with any of the linked sources, nor does it endorse any information source. Illinois PTA advocates for adequate, equitable, and sustainable sources of revenue for schools. National PTA advocates that Congress #STOPCutsToClassrooms and invest more in public education.

    Please take the time to review the projections, discuss with friends, and email your questions to the board. We hope to see you at the board meeting on Monday, 12/18, 7 PM at the Central Services Office (across from Forest Glen).”




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess I don't get the outrage here. Yeah, it's maybe a bit slanted but not so much as to tell people what to think. It just links to the info. Moreover, if Bob Bruno was the only one who chose to attend the Q & A, and the others declined, what's the problem here?

    The hashtags stink - but that seems to be more a PTA issue rather than a Lincoln school issue. I love being outraged - but this one doesn't register for me.

  3. #3
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,818
    You were outraged this weekend when I told you that I don't use Venmo.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    I guess I don't get the outrage here. Yeah, it's maybe a bit slanted but not so much as to tell people what to think. It just links to the info. Moreover, if Bob Bruno was the only one who chose to attend the Q & A, and the others declined, what's the problem here?

    The hashtags stink - but that seems to be more a PTA issue rather than a Lincoln school issue. I love being outraged - but this one doesn't register for me.
    The problem with it is that it is not the PTA’s job to get involved with board politics. If Bob Bruno wants to advertise that he will be at a Q&A then that is HIS responsibility, not the PTA’s.

    I don’t want emails from the PTA about board issues with obvious slants, agendas, and perspectives. I want emails about what is going at school and that’s it.

    The Lincoln PTA is frequently bringing up their political opinions at PTA functions and that is just not the time nor place. They are a support for teachers and parents. Know your role.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    You were outraged this weekend when I told you that I don't use Venmo.
    Are you 80?

  6. #6
    Forum All Star GE Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    You were outraged this weekend when I told you that I don't use Venmo.
    I still am. HOW THE HELL DO I PAY FOR THESE ORANGES????

    Bitcoin?

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by NadaGEM View Post
    The problem with it is that it is not the PTA’s job to get involved with board politics. If Bob Bruno wants to advertise that he will be at a Q&A then that is HIS responsibility, not the PTA’s.

    I don’t want emails from the PTA about board issues with obvious slants, agendas, and perspectives. I want emails about what is going at school and that’s it.

    The Lincoln PTA is frequently bringing up their political opinions at PTA functions and that is just not the time nor place. They are a support for teachers and parents. Know your role.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1...

  8. #8
    Forum Regular isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    I guess I don't get the outrage here. Yeah, it's maybe a bit slanted but not so much as to tell people what to think. It just links to the info. Moreover, if Bob Bruno was the only one who chose to attend the Q & A, and the others declined, what's the problem here?

    The hashtags stink - but that seems to be more a PTA issue rather than a Lincoln school issue. I love being outraged - but this one doesn't register for me.
    Agreed. While reading the quote, I was waiting for the big payoff to be outraged but it never came.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    I guess I don't get the outrage here. Yeah, it's maybe a bit slanted but not so much as to tell people what to think. It just links to the info. Moreover, if Bob Bruno was the only one who chose to attend the Q & A, and the others declined, what's the problem here?

    The hashtags stink - but that seems to be more a PTA issue rather than a Lincoln school issue. I love being outraged - but this one doesn't register for me.
    Agreed. The PTA has always been at the forefront of disseminating information about District policies. Don't see the outrage here.

  10. #10
    I believe in political activism, I believe in standing for your beliefs and being an active and engaged citizen, but in all my years as a parent I have never seen a PTA be so blatantly into pitchfork politics. I believe the PTA should be a parent/teacher group thats focus is made up of Involvement, community, and supporting the kids and the school.
    I believe the politics should be left to us as individuals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Forum Regular mamattorney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    452
    You've probably just been spending too much time on Facebook; then this email just put you over the edge.

    If I didn't know any better I would think that the levy was something we (not the school board) could vote on. It's strange - the lobbying, the scare tactics, the slanted presentation of data...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
    You've probably just been spending too much time on Facebook; then this email just put you over the edge.

    If I didn't know any better I would think that the levy was something we (not the school board) could vote on. It's strange - the lobbying, the scare tactics, the slanted presentation of data...
    Exactly. Everything is being plastered everywhere on every single board with only one opinion and attacks on any other opinion. It’s frustrating.

    Look, I get it. Right now our political climate makes us want to feel we’re making a difference when we are paralyzed by what’s going on outside of our bubble, I feel paralyzed myself. But let’s not become like those we claim to so passionately detest. Let’s not share propaganda, feed on fear, and bully others. Simple words, comments, and discussions have all become read into and matters of hatred. Just chill out for a moment.

    Recognize your role in this community and what your role requires. Share your opinions in your personal ways, but do NOT infiltrate my email with your political rhetoric under the guise of the PTA. That role should be for the Parent and Teacher benefit only.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NadaGEM View Post
    That role should be for the Parent and Teacher benefit only.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With all due respect Nadagem, have you visited the National PTA website? The PTA is not here as a parent and teacher benefit to merely provide information on school events, programs, and parties etc. The PTA is the largest volunteer Child Advocacy organization in the nation. The mission statement is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. PTA's should be assuming an active role in promoting discussion, communication and understanding within the education community in order to gain a greater understanding of each other’s' goals and positions. Per Illinois PTA Advocacy “Where to Start”, the PTA is advised to “Be a Part of the Solution. Encourage your members to become representatives on school committees and attend school board meetings. Work cooperatively with the school administration to educate the community and address the needs of the children within its confines”. The PTA encourages members to be engaged in local, state and national issues and legislation as it relates to children and contact their local school board members, government officials, legislators to discuss.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Moreover, if Bob Bruno was the only one who chose to attend the Q & A, and the others declined, what's the problem here?
    Q&A not a district thing. Bruno is hosting his own coffee and the PTA is pimping it out for him.

    What's up with the Lincoln parents? Is this the Lincoln cabal 2.0? Those people are never happy.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by KKramer View Post
    With all due respect Nadagem, have you visited the National PTA website? The PTA is not here as a parent and teacher benefit to merely provide information on school events, programs, and parties etc. The PTA is the largest volunteer Child Advocacy organization in the nation. The mission statement is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. PTA's should be assuming an active role in promoting discussion, communication and understanding within the education community in order to gain a greater understanding of each other’s' goals and positions. Per Illinois PTA Advocacy “Where to Start”, the PTA is advised to “Be a Part of the Solution. Encourage your members to become representatives on school committees and attend school board meetings. Work cooperatively with the school administration to educate the community and address the needs of the children within its confines”. The PTA encourages members to be engaged in local, state and national issues and legislation as it relates to children and contact their local school board members, government officials, legislators to discuss.
    I have and I understand. But please let’s not be one sided in our sharing of information then.

    From all that I have seen of PTA members there has been very little engagement of conversations, but one sided arguments and censorship of those who don’t agree. Regardless, they can be individuals, just not in my inbox.

    I, and quite a few others I know, will not be PTA members any longer because enough is enough. I just want to enjoy what little time I have with my children and provide support to their teachers and their school. I will find other ways to do so. I don’t need to fight all the time as others seem to be hell bent on doing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •