Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-K location part II

Forum Regular

Pre-K location part II

Maybe this thread can last more than three days...

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017...c-center-space

The 1998 bonds are paid off next year and I think the 20 yr agreement with the PD expires...anyone seen a copy? Perhaps there is an opportunity there rather than just paying for the PD renovation and moving to the civic center?

Here is the proposal.

https://www.d41.org/cms/lib/IL019046...nt_11-8-17.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically, the school district will spend $1.5-$2 Million, while the village and PD are cost neutral....seems a bit out of balance....

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Basically, the school district will spend $1.5-$2 Million, while the village and PD are cost neutral....seems a bit out of balance....
    If the Park District is more or less doing D41 a favor by relocating, which . . . IMO . . . that is the scenario, why would they need to be on the hook for anything associated with a lateral move? The PD should expect similar space at whatever it would cost them to stay at Spring Avenue, or no?

Either way, to the taxpayer, doesn't really matter which bucket it comes out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    If the Park District is more or less doing D41 a favor by relocating, which . . . IMO . . . that is the scenario, why would they need to be on the hook for anything associated with a lateral move? The PD should expect similar space at whatever it would cost them to stay at Spring Avenue, or no?

Either way, to the taxpayer, doesn't really matter which bucket it comes out of.
    In that vein, two thoughts come to mind. If the PD is giving up space use at no cost to them, then the alternative would be to lease that space out for a cost, which would lower the income needs of the PD. Those taxpayer's in both D89 and GEPD (basically south of Roos. are funding D41, no? The next argument would be what would the Village gain instead by making the agreement with COD? If those dollar opportunities are lost, then again, the same group south of Roos. are funding D41.

As for D41, those are the renovation costs....what are the additional yearly personnel/support costs? There is a principal at FG right now. Will a new principal/secretary/assistant principal be needed at Spring Ave location? What other shared services/personnel at FG will now need to be replaced at Spring Ave?

What is the total package costs for all parties? right now there is just a window into renovation being presented....

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    In that vein, two thoughts come to mind. If the PD is giving up space use at no cost to them, then the alternative would be to lease that space out for a cost, which would lower the income needs of the PD. Those taxpayer's in both D89 and GEPD (basically south of Roos. are funding D41, no? The next argument would be what would the Village gain instead by making the agreement with COD? If those dollar opportunities are lost, then again, the same group south of Roos. are funding D41.

As for D41, those are the renovation costs....what are the additional yearly personnel/support costs? There is a principal at FG right now. Will a new principal/secretary/assistant principal be needed at Spring Ave location? What other shared services/personnel at FG will now need to be replaced at Spring Ave?

What is the total package costs for all parties? right now there is just a window into renovation being presented....
    Yeah . . . I don't know. Haven't given it a bunch of thought. Just wondering why the PD would move in order for D41 to move into their space when they are already in space that they seem to enjoy/covet and expect them to foot part of the bill. Not certain what the benefit to the PD would be moving into the CC other than it would be closer to an ever-growing number of lunch options.

Updated.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lists/...dex.xml?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to Mr. Enright in recusing himself even though he didn't have to...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Me - I'm SORO (where we have FDK) and I personally think choosing COD was a much better idea, in considering the Village as a whole. May actually bring new visitors into the Village Center.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Me - I'm SORO ... and I personally think choosing COD was a much better idea, in considering the Village as a whole.
    If the COD project fails, they leave, obviously. What I think we might have missed though is that if the COD project succeeds, they also leave.

The only long term occupation would probably derive from a sideways drift of a moribund government funded program in bureaucratic limbo or changing use/conversion to COD satellite campus class space. If it does change use, I'm not sure the village hall site is compatible with the substantial increase in use/density of a high-turnover transient student population while still attempting to maintain itself as a center of local government.

On the other hand, the park district is a very compatible user with a very similar boundary, population, mission and work force that will always be here.

I think it's quite possible that the proverbial shiny new object may have distracted the adults in the front seats and caused a wrong turn. It would have been nice to have seen a more substantive business plan from the Village and tight defined contractual protections as to use at a minimum.

Only time will tell where this road leads. I will guess that momentum, loose government money and preparation time alone will leave at least a few years of feel-good proclamations and headlines before we even have a clue. But in the end, it's more than possible that the simple binary of either the program's success or failure force it out sometime around the beginning of the next term of Village President. If so, I'll doubt anyone would then feel that a short term tenancy will have been worth the considerable cost and deep long term disruption that may now possibly rumble through the VOGE, the GE Park District and D41...
    Last edited by jombl; 11-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Jombl - happy to be on the same side again. Agree - this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Strike that - it makes political sense to me as it's quite clear what's going on - but...it makes no practical business sense to me.

But hey, that $2,500 a month will be nice.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I thought the COD project was a business incubator and moving the already existing Center for Entrepreneurship? Maybe I'm looking at the group it will serve and ideally attract a bit differently than you guys are? In any event, COD being there does not bother me whatsoever, and the Park District doesn't seem distraught either. We'll see down the road, though, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    I thought the COD project was a business incubator and moving the already existing Center for Entrepreneurship? Maybe I'm looking at the group it will serve and ideally attract a bit differently than you guys are? In any event, COD being there does not bother me whatsoever, and the Park District doesn't seem distraught either. We'll see down the road, though, as you say.
    Just follow the political dots. District 41/GEPD never stood a chance.