Thread: Rue on Crescent

Forum Regular

Rue on Crescent

Who is excited? This guy is.

Anyone go yet? Saw 2 reviews, very positive. Love Cajun food. Hope they change up the menu often.

All we need is an Ethiopian restaurant and a place that serves Poke, and I won't have to leave GE/Wheaton for food.

Clamato?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    or some good German/Chech food!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Who is excited? This guy is.

Anyone go yet? Saw 2 reviews, very positive. Love Cajun food. Hope they change up the menu often.

All we need is an Ethiopian restaurant and a place that serves Poke, and I won't have to leave GE/Wheaton for food.

Clamato?
    I was there last weekend (soft opening)...my shrimp creole was really delicious; my husband loved the turtle soup...and imagine! i could get a Hurricane in downtown Glen Ellyn.

Forum Regular
    Got to-go last night but spent some time at the bar. Ended up being there an hour. Was in no hurry on our first visit.

One word review: Fantastic.

Longer review: Gumbo was superb. Crab cake was excellent and the red pepper cream sauce was spot on to Enola Prudhomme's Cajun Cafe in Lafayette, LA. The crawfish etouffee is wonderful and is not overly spiced, so it allows you to kick it up a notch with your favorite hot sauce if you need more heat. The Okra was super tasty with the sauce. All sauces were perfect and you can see the inspiration from Chef Michel Saragueta. His legend lives on which is nice. Neighbors at the bar were all pleased. One said the chicken pasta was excellent and nice and spicy, the other raved about the veggie gumbo. Everyone at the bar was pleased. I have eaten at many Cajun restaurants down in Louisiana and the food here is authentic which is very exciting.

Crawfish people, we have a restaurant in our area that has crawfish and will be serving it on a regular basis. for those that have never had it: it is an earthier and smaller than shrimp, but if prepared right, melts in your mouth. That with it being spiced up nice, it ends up being a wonderfully tasty treat. It was perfectly prepared and spiced. Haven't had it in years and was super excited to feast on some crawfish. Rue did not let me down.

The gentleman manning the bar was very friendly and helpful to all when questions arose. Made my wife a killer cocktail. Forgot the name, but it was a new version of the old fashion. Tasty.

Beer selection was meh. Hamms and Miller lite? All beers were on the very light side. Had Abita or course. I know most want a lighter beer with spicy food, but I am from the school of a few great wine makers that like making kicked up wine and serve it with spicy food, so bigger IPA's or DIPA's would be nice. Solemn Oath would be perfect at this place. Bartender said they are getting their beer at the beer cellar, so that is very cool.

Red wine selection was very interesting and I think fit the menu nicely. Of the ones I have had before, the reds are on the bigger side, which contradicts from the beer selection. White wine selection was very good as well. The cocktails looked interesting, and yes, a Hurricane in Glen Ellyn. Fantastic.

Looks like the kids menu was a hit, 3 tables with kids there and they were eating and having a good time.

The space got very cold when the door opened, but was cozy normally. Need one of those outside doors maybe.

Artwork is coming. I was going to offer up some of my work from New Orleans, but that ended up not working too well at Tap House, so I thought better of it.

Overall, the most exciting restaurant in Glen Ellyn since we moved here. Great food. Love me some cajun, especially done right, and so far, Rue is doing it right. Glad they are here.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Last edited by Bry; 10-26-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Hamms and Miller lite?
    Tribune panel ranked those the best two "macro beers" available, FWIW. Chicago Tribune

Thanks for the review, looking forward to a visit!

Glad to hear you liked it. I grabbed a menu but haven't been there yet. I found it curious that the menu seemed to be both Cajun and Creole - seems like it should be one or the other since they are pretty different (except for coexisitng in the same city). Very happy to hear they can do both well!

Forum Regular
    Had the Fried Alligator and chicken pasta tonight. Liked both.

Forum Regular
    Went there last night & sat at the bar. Had the veggie gumbo, corn muffin and a crab cake-all were wonderful. There were four of us and everyone like what they had. The only complaint is the beer selection (as Bry stated above)-not too many options. We will be back!
    Inside decor needs a little work-looked sparse but I'm assuming artwork, etc will be added.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermsdaughter View Post
    Went there last night & sat at the bar. Had the veggie gumbo, corn muffin and a crab cake-all were wonderful. There were four of us and everyone like what they had. The only complaint is the beer selection (as Bry stated above)-not too many options. We will be back!
    Inside decor needs a little work-looked sparse but I'm assuming artwork, etc will be added.
    I am making a love connection with a local brewery and them. Stay tuned.

The Gator, Okra, and Crabcake has the same red pepper sauce. I guess that is okay since it is delicious.

One to one and a half HOUR wait of Saturday.

That is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    One to one and a half wait of Saturday.

That is encouraging.
    If those are hours, I'll wait until spring break.

We went tonight and thought it was just OK. I'm pretty bummed. I wanted to love it.