Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young's Appliances

Quote Originally Posted by WheatonRon View Post
    I learned today (Thursday, January 4) that The Daily Herald plans to do a story on Young’s transition around the time of Its planned grand reopening due in the next several weeks. Maybe we will learn the straight scoop at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Unlikely. Will be a puff-piece about a small business surviving with a new lease on life against bigger competitors and the Internet. The article will at some point call it a “Glen Ellyn Institution” despite the fact that 98% of current Glen Ellyn residents have never set foot in the place.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Unlikely. Will be a puff-piece about a small business surviving with a new lease on life against bigger competitors and the Internet. The article will at some point call it a “Glen Ellyn Institution” despite the fact that 98% of current Glen Ellyn residents have never set foot in the place.
    Don't become a hater Fan....Young's is an institution in this town. For every person complaining about service or something else, I can get 2 people to sing praises about the place. We need to cut these people some slack until they have had a chance to work out all the bugs.

Forum Regular
    By the way, Young's has been a big supporter, over the years, of many events that 98% of current Glen Ellyn residents have all set foot in.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Love View Post
    Don't become a hater Fan....Young's is an institution in this town. For every person complaining about service or something else, I can get 2 people to sing praises about the place. We need to cut these people some slack until they have had a chance to work out all the bugs.
    I was going to write the same thing Fan did, and I won't speak for him. I think his comment is more about the expectation of "what" the Herald article will be about and less about Young's. My comment which I did not post yesterday, but will now, is..."The Herald won't deliver a scoop, it will be no scoop in waffle cone with whipped cream with sprinkles on top." It's a feel-good story, or as Fan put it, a puff-piece.

As for "Young's is an institution in this town," you used the wrong tense, it's "was"

By the way, Young's has been a big supporter, over the years, of many events that 98% of current Glen Ellyn residents have all set foot in.
    Not really, and they haven't even been able to support the products we once bought there. TG for GE Appliance repair, same day service, have parts, etc.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    But not the GEBYBBQ.

The BBQ that was intended to bring visibility to the GE CBD.

The one that supports their neighbor, Bridge Communities.

A BBQ that they put over 1000 dedicated BBQ fans right at their doorstep on a Saturday.

Did they take advantage and perform grilling classes or invite people in to see their line of appliances? No, Young's owner actively went to other GE business owners, one I know personally, to rally them against the event. Young's staff then harassed BBQ volunteers on the day of the event.

I know Bridge and the Planning committee approached them multiple times to address Young's concerns only to be met with hostility.

Seems like their might be some Karma happening to Young's

Business wise, I have never had a problem with their sales or service. Laziness keeps me from traveling to Abt, or even Pirch which in OB, and most stuff can be had at Youngs (sic) at the same price. That said, IMO, it is readily apparent that Larry is no longer around. But, yeah . . . will likely keep going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    But not the GEBYBBQ.

The BBQ that was intended to bring visibility to the GE CBD.

The one that supports their neighbor, Bridge Communities.

A BBQ that they put over 1000 dedicated BBQ fans right at their doorstep on a Saturday.

Did they take advantage and perform grilling classes or invite people in to see their line of appliances? No, Young's owner actively went to other GE business owners, one I know personally, to rally them against the event. Young's staff then harassed BBQ volunteers on the day of the event.

I know Bridge and the Planning committee approached them multiple times to address Young's concerns only to be met with hostility.

Seems like their might be some Karma happening to Young's
    Now THAT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . was unfortunate. Probably the most surreal event I've experienced in my 23+ years in Glen Ellyn.

Forum Regular
    But not the GEBYBBQ.
    That is odd, I grant you.
    Hey, what is the date of the BBQ this year?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    That is odd, I grant you.
    Hey, what is the date of the BBQ this year?
    Second Saturday in September I believe. Perplexed would know.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    ...or even Pirch which in OB...
    RIP. Pirch is gone (at least around here).

Second Saturday in September I believe. Perplexed would know.

The Saturday after Labor Day. So, September 8, 2018.

Well, I don't like to be a hater either but Young's took my money for a dishwasher knowing that they were soon to go out of business and couldn't deliver. After being told some BS about a delay caused by the Bosch factory having trouble with their black dishwashers, I got the infamous letter from Rally Capital. Fortunately I got the money back because I disputed the charge with my credit card bank. I guess that means that the bank got stiffed.

Since that experience I discovered Abt and had a great shopping experience.

I have a Bosch dishwasher! It is my third . . . . . . . . . and last.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    I have a Bosch dishwasher! It is my third . . . . . . . . . and last.
    Damn it....just bought one. Oh well, guess we'll see.