Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Young's Appliances

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Damn it....just bought one. Oh well, guess we'll see.
    It has always been my feeling that you are blessed. Yours will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich93 View Post
    Well, I don't like to be a hater either but Young's took my money for a dishwasher knowing that they were soon to go out of business and couldn't deliver. After being told some BS about a delay caused by the Bosch factory having trouble with their black dishwashers, I got the infamous letter from Rally Capital. Fortunately I got the money back because I disputed the charge with my credit card bank. I guess that means that the bank got stiffed.

Since that experience I discovered Abt and had a great shopping experience.
    There is no winning when it comes to appliances. I know Abt Haters too who were once long time customers. Between deliver/install horror stories and appliances that are only designed to last 10 years, its' the luck of the draw. Everyone has or knows someone with an appliance horror story from some seller/manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by southge View Post
    There is no winning when it comes to appliances. I know Abt Haters too who were once long time customers. Between deliver/install horror stories and appliances that are only designed to last 10 years, its' the luck of the draw. Everyone has or knows someone with an appliance horror story from some seller/manufacturer.
    12 year Grand Appliance loyal customer. Wouldn’t go anywhere else.

I lived in my house for 12 years. We have purchases 3 washing machines, 2 dryers, 1 fridge, 2 dishwashers, 2 overhead microwaves. I have used Best Buy, Youngs, Grant, Sears. My sisters dishwasher just tried to catch on fire. Sorry for the negative stuff. Given that you ultimately end up dealing with the manufacturer, it'd hard to get to attached to the retailer.

Young's Appliances

Young’s is all but dead. I went to get some filter parts for my reverse osmosis system I bought from Young’s in the 1990s. They used to have them, but no more. They sent me to someone in Downers Grove even though a business formerly used by Youngs (supplier I think) is significantly closer. The current referral was as helpful as a 3 dollar bill. My several thousand dollar appliance purchases will now go to Abt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WheatonRon; 08-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Is it also possible that some items made over the near 30 year span of your osmosis purchase are now legitimately not supported any longer?

Young's Appliances

Parts are readily available at Amazon and Springsoft at 122 E Lake Street, Bloomingdale, IL. Yes, the parts sell for just a few dollars. Young’s apparently has decided such effort is no longer worth their while even though offering such convenience to customers may entice them to buy a $2,000 appliance in the future. They used to carry such R. O. parts (before the business failed) but no longer. I doubt this leaner and less customer friendly approach will help the business succeed this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WheatonRon; 08-05-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I notice that you left your new appliance vendor off that list. I can tell you right now that they will also send you elsewhere for small parts whether a year, or as in your case up to thirty years later.

At least Young's supported your product for over a quarter century...

I have to side with WheatonRon. Last year I went to Young's to test the tubes on my 1974 Zenith Model L1310C, only to learn they not only do not have the TV tube test unit, they no longer carry replacement tubes AND but no longer carried Zeniths TVs. Some excuse about how they don't make them anymore, blah blah blah. Done with Young's.

And no, Best Buy is no better. I spent $368 on a Canon Hi-Fi Stereo VHS VCR model VR-HF600A in 1986, went to Best Buy a couple years ago to purchase a VHS copy of "A Good Man" starring the Academy-Award winning actor Steven Seagal, only to learn Best Buy no longer carries VHS tapes.

#BoycottYoungs&BestBuy

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    I have to side with WheatonRon. Last year I went to Young's to test the tubes on my 1974 Zenith Model L1310C, only to learn they not only do not have the TV tube test unit, they no longer carry replacement tubes AND but no longer carried Zeniths TVs. Some excuse about how they don't make them anymore, blah blah blah. Done with Young's.
    Cliche, can I instead direct you to Radio Shack for your vacuum tubes? Near the door, they should have a Tandy Corp. tube tester for customers that you can plug 90% or more of your questionable tubes in the appropriate test socket of similar type (some are dual type sockets). There is a big red ringed notebook hanging on the left or right of that tester that you can look up the Mfgr. (usually RCA) and original tube number, with their Tandy alt-brand aliases. Also in that chart are the values that tell you if the meter strength matches good, bad, or acceptable levels. The three black select knobs at the top are pretty easy to orient for your tube (use the notebook chart for knob position). Underneath that tester kiosk, behind the front cabinet door are shelves with the top 25% most requested new tubes, in little protective boxes. Don't dismay if yours isn't in there, because the helpful guy at the counter wearing the red vest can order them for you. It only takes a day or two to get the special orders in, because the Tandy/RS warehouse is local, I believe in Melrose Park?

The bigger Radio Shack is in the Hillside Mall, and they have everything! (in case the Glen Ellyn store is out and you can't wait).

Oh, and when grabbing the new tube box, open it up before you leave the store, because sometimes idiots put old tubes in those and steal the new ones.

I wouldn't bother with Amazon, because their stock is pretty low by now. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 08-05-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    (in case the Glen Ellyn store is out and you can't wait).
    Glen Ellyn store ain’t no mo

#wouldboycottradioshackiftheywerelavantbuttheyaint

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Hey, I was having a real good way-back-machine moment there from 1969. It was fun recalling the smell of those tubes as they got warm. There was even a meter for that on the tester while you waited for them to warm up to their optimal temps before one could properly assess their wellness. I'd bet Swampdog could also remember those bygone days too as he evolved from his boyhood crystal radios to those tube-filled console radios that even included a frequency dial.

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Hey, I was having a real good way-back-machine moment there from 1969. It was fun recalling the smell of those tubes as they got warm. There was even a meter for that on the tester while you waited for them to warm up to their optimal temps before one could properly assess their wellness. I'd bet Swampdog could also remember those bygone days too as he evolved from his boyhood crystal radios to those tube-filled console radios that even included a frequency dial.
    I recall those hardware stores visits all too well, great memory helping Dad test the tubes.