Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: Nobel House

  1. #46
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Saw what appeared to be a "soft" open last night or a dry run...seems like an opening is very, very close....their Facebook page says "mid-January"

  2. #47
    Forum All Star Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,253
    Took a peek in there today, it does look just about ready.

  3. #48
    Forum All Star Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,253
    Checked their website this evening, hours and menu are now posted, so I assume they are open.

  4. #49
    i have heard there is a soft opening this weekend.

  5. #50
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishGE View Post
    i have heard there is a soft opening this weekend.
    I've learned that their food and drink supplies are fully stocked...the wait will be over soon.

  6. #51
    Forum All Star Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,253
    Opening is January 15

  7. #52
    Attended one of the soft openings over the weekend. The place is very nice. It has a good layout (bar location, mix of high top/communal seats and low tables). The bar has many beers on tap including their own house Ale created by Two Brothers that they've named Soukups Ale. Thought that was well done. The food was very good. An extensive menu with smoked meats, salads, burgers, sandwiches and other items. Will be a good place for families in GE

  8. #53
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,097
    The Mrs. and I just returned from the official Jan. 15th opening.

    Music level at Nobel - Soft (at least at 5pm). Not the head banging volumes that Main Street managers seem to love. Ever been to Main Street after 10pm? GADS!

    Food portions - Medium to small. If you want a burger, please do yourself a favor and head over to Main Street (before 10pm). Main offers huge portions of sides next to a fairly large burger, and I think they have ~18 burgers types to choose from. If you want something other than a burger and also want to have a conversation during your meal, then Nobel can be the place you might prefer. Wife had the turkey sandwich with M+C, and liked it. She finished it - something she almost never does because it was small. I had the marinated chicken sandwich with M+C side (included). There are some meals that come with two sides. Tasted good - just small.

    Seating - OK. The chairs, both low and high, are hard plastic with no cushioning. You can sit in a booth, but only 1/2 the booth is padded bench seating. Your guests are going to sit in a plastic chair. If a bar fight erupts, or the Jerry Springer Show guests swoop on in, those plastic chairs are going to save the owners a boatload of money as they'll either bounce off other stationary objects or be cheap to replace if they survive unbroken. Probably also easy to clean them of BBQ spills at the end of the night.

    Parking - Don't know. We walked there.

    Lighting - Dim. Turn up the house lights please. Could be my older eyes, but it was difficult to read the menu where we were sitting (the middle at the wall). Maybe read the menu online first before your visit.

    Menu - Somewhat confusing with 5 main dinner sections. Easy after that is understood. Some meals come with two sides and aren't priced any higher than the selections with one side. Considering the portion sizes, I'd go with whatever has two sides included. Sides, on the side, are $4.

    Service. Very good. Maybe due to opening night. Time will tell if they reduce the staff size in a few weeks, but they were super helpful.

    Price - In the ballpark. $11 to about $18 per plate, not including drinks. Pretty reasonable for downtown GE.

  9. #54
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    The Mrs. and I just returned from the official Jan. 15th opening.

    Music level at Nobel - Soft (at least at 5pm). Not the head banging volumes that Main Street managers seem to love. Ever been to Main Street after 10pm? GADS!

    Food portions - Medium to small. If you want a burger, please do yourself a favor and head over to Main Street (before 10pm). Main offers huge portions of sides next to a fairly large burger, and I think they have ~18 burgers types to choose from. If you want something other than a burger and also want to have a conversation during your meal, then Nobel can be the place you might prefer. Wife had the turkey sandwich with M+C, and liked it. She finished it - something she almost never does because it was small. I had the marinated chicken sandwich with M+C side (included). There are some meals that come with two sides. Tasted good - just small.

    Seating - OK. The chairs, both low and high, are hard plastic with no cushioning. You can sit in a booth, but only 1/2 the booth is padded bench seating. Your guests are going to sit in a plastic chair. If a bar fight erupts, or the Jerry Springer Show guests swoop on in, those plastic chairs are going to save the owners a boatload of money as they'll either bounce off other stationary objects or be cheap to replace if they survive unbroken. Probably also easy to clean them of BBQ spills at the end of the night.

    Parking - Don't know. We walked there.

    Lighting - Dim. Turn up the house lights please. Could be my older eyes, but it was difficult to read the menu where we were sitting (the middle at the wall). Maybe read the menu online first before your visit.

    Menu - Somewhat confusing with 5 main dinner sections. Easy after that is understood. Some meals come with two sides and aren't priced any higher than the selections with one side. Considering the portion sizes, I'd go with whatever has two sides included. Sides, on the side, are $4.

    Service. Very good. Maybe due to opening night. Time will tell if they reduce the staff size in a few weeks, but they were super helpful.

    Price - In the ballpark. $11 to about $18 per plate, not including drinks. Pretty reasonable for downtown GE.
    Wow...disappointing review...I read it on my phone scrolling down and was SO looking forward to the "Bread" and "Circuses" ratings...and there were none.

    On your review, I give it a 5 on Bread and 3 on circuses...Ciao, ciao for now.

  10. #55
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    If you want a burger, please do yourself a favor and head over to Main Street...
    ...for a beer, and then go get a REAL burger somewhere else!

  11. #56
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,097
    I will say that they did a wonderful job on the build-out. Is there some law that states one needs at least ten 55" flat screens per restaurant these days? I am beginning to wonder about that. We'll go back and try something else on the menu. I like big portions that require a carry-out box for a quick meal the next day. Just don't think that will happen at Nobel.

    The first restaurant around here that offers The Impossible Burger 2.0 will have me as a customer. Really want to try one of those.

  12. #57
    Forum All Star GESince1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    ...for a beer, and then go get a REAL burger somewhere else!
    I don't drink much beer away from the house (the cost), but I agree that Main does have quite a selection and decent prices. Where else has good burgers? Want to know.

  13. #58
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    The first restaurant around here that offers The Impossible Burger 2.0 will have me as a customer. Really want to try one of those.
    So...you buried the lead. No more trips to White Castle for me!!!!!!

    * Worth noting, Ellyn’s has Impossible Burgers too, never had one there
    Last edited by Cliché; 01-16-2019 at 12:26 AM.

  14. #59
    Forum Demi-god
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Where else has good burgers? Want to know.
    Debatable and personal preference...but I think Main Street burgers are mediocre at best. Not great burgers in GE, that said, Mash + Maize has a FAR better burger, don't laugh but Two Toots has a good burger, and Shannon's (I'm gonna get **** for this), has a better burger.

    That said, if I'm going to get my burger on, I'm going to "splurge," travel outside the zone and hit Steamboat for a large Burnt Ends Brisket sandwich!

    (Side note, had an amazing brisket at Black Iron Grill in Miles City Montana two nights ago...so, if you are in the mood for brisket and don't mind a 1,085 drive, good spot. Also, drove by Glen Ullin...but again, dark and in fog last night).

  15. #60
    Forum All Star Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,253
    I actually prefer smaller portions, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice. Brandts of Palatine has been one of my favorites, definitely worth checking out if your around that area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •