Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glen Oak Cafe - Never Again

Forum Regular

Glen Oak Cafe - Never Again

This past Sunday I visited our local breakfast place (I go their a couple times per month) and had a terrible experience. While sitting at the counter, I ordered a $10 power omelette and asked to please substitute hash browns rather than pancakes or toast. The veteran server gave me a stern "NO" we don't allow that. I was shocked and said, "really, are you serious"? She was dead serious, so I said I'll just have a glass of OJ. I drank it and went to pay for my $3.50 OJ at the register. When I told the woman at the register that the server shut down my minimal request she suggested I tell the owner, Dean.
    He also serves as the host and between seating people I took him aside and told him that his server wouldn't make that simple substitution and how surprised/disappointed I was. I don't eat wheat/flour so I don't eat pancakes or toast.

I expected him to apologize to me and ask that I stay and he would make sure I was taken care of.
    Much to my surprise his smile left his face and he told me "she was right, we don't make those substitutions, that's why we are so successful."

I said, "really, that's how you treat your customers?" "That's right" he said. I said that I couldn't believe that that is his stance and that he just lost a customer. His proud response, "that's ok, we lose customers, but we are getting even more, look at my place it has grown a lot the past three years".

As I was walking out shaking my head his last words were, " I guess we are different kinds of business people......... and I'm successful"

I am not making this up. I am telling everyone I know about this guy and how he treated me. If I get enough locals not to go, maybe I will hit him where it hurts in the wallet. Please share this story with friends and consider taking your business elsewhere.

i checked out a little diner call Lilly's just east of Otto's on Crescent and it was terrific.

Don't eat there, but if you want to "get the word out" I'd Yelp it, let it be known here...
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/glen-oak-cafe-glen-ellyn-2

And just last week, Governor Rauner protects your free speech..."Consumers who post negative reviews on sites like Yelp have new protections under Illinois law. A bill signed into law last week by Gov. Bruce Rauner prohibits businesses from including or enforcing nondisparagement clauses in contracts for the sale or lease of consumer goods or services. Such so-called "gag" clauses are meant to dissuade customers from posting critical reviews by threatening them with fees if they do."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...823-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful View Post

As I was walking out shaking my head his last words were, " I guess we are different kinds of business people......... and I'm successful"

Some day, Grateful, when you have your own business, you'll get to treat clients shoddily and reap the rewards.

Back to the heart of the matter.........why couldn't they just substitute it with an upcharge of, say, 75 cents? I understand that potatoes might cost more in material and labor than a couple pieces of white toast........but why not give the customer what he wants? To just refuse - and then be a **** about it - makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
    This past Sunday I visited our local breakfast place (I go their a couple times per month) and had a terrible experience. While sitting at the counter, I ordered a $10 power omelette and asked to please substitute hash browns rather than pancakes or toast. The veteran server gave me a stern "NO" we don't allow that. I was shocked and said, "really, are you serious"?
    I had the same thing happen at Greek Islands in Lombard last night with the opposite results. I asked for vegetables instead of potatoes, the server said he couldn't substitute... I questioned why I couldn't substitute (never even got to I'll pay the difference) and he was standing by that. Anther person in the party spoke up and asked why, we didn't get a clear answer. I didn't want to make a scene so I let it go... I guess he mentioned it to the owner who knows that 1/3 of us are regulars. My meal came out with veggies and veggies for the other person who spoke up for me. They still gave me the potato that I passed on to someone else. Everyone left happy and we will be back again soon.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Dude, just Yelp the thing. That's all it takes to eventually take a bad restaurant down these days.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I had the same thing happen at Greek Islands in Lombard last night with the opposite results. I asked for vegetables instead of potatoes, the server said he couldn't substitute... I questioned why I couldn't substitute (never even got to I'll pay the difference) and he was standing by that. Anther person in the party spoke up and asked why, we didn't get a clear answer. I didn't want to make a scene so I let it go... I guess he mentioned it to the owner who knows that 1/3 of us are regulars. My meal came out with veggies and veggies for the other person who spoke up for me. They still gave me the potato that I passed on to someone else. Everyone left happy and we will be back again soon.
    That's how you make and keep long time customers. I think most owners would do the same.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    Years back I recommended them to a friend who had an appointment at DuPage medical for her mom. They wanted breakfast. Went in and all these high schoolers were there. Couldn't give them a table. Then they finally got one but could not get service. The staff said 'the kids come first', they have to get to class'. Even though these were adult cash paying full meal, nice tipping people. They ended up having like a hour long breakfast time.

We are also talking about a place that chains off their parking lot in the afternoon as a "good neighbor" to the rest of the local businesses...I know it's their property and all, but still.

This place has bad karma over multiple owners, that's why we have Volunteer Park.... the former Glen Oak owner wasn't really community friendly either...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...soline-dumping

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Dude, just Yelp the thing. That's all it takes to eventually take a bad restaurant down these days.
    Agree, put your review in Yelp!. We stopped going there years ago, preferring Egg Harbor in Wheaton for breakfast.

Who the f even eats breakfast?

Under that same ownership a few years back had a similar experience when preteen kid wanted a side Caesar to replace the side house salad that came with the meal. Snotty server said no, my husband asked why? They arbitrarily said it's a four dollar charge. We said fine, finished our meal and never went back. Salad was barely a cup oF greens served on a small plate.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I haven't been to G.O. in years, but many other family members are regulars and have had a positive experience.

G.O is O.G.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Some day, Grateful, when you have your own business, you'll get to treat clients shoddily and reap the rewards.

Back to the heart of the matter.........why couldn't they just substitute it with an upcharge of, say, 75 cents? I understand that potatoes might cost more in material and labor than a couple pieces of white toast........but why not give the customer what he wants? To just refuse - and then be a **** about it - makes no sense.
    you can have any color model T as long as it is black....

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Don't eat there, but if you want to "get the word out" I'd Yelp it, let it be known here...
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/glen-oak-cafe-glen-ellyn-2

And just last week, Governor Rauner protects your free speech..."Consumers who post negative reviews on sites like Yelp have new protections under Illinois law. A bill signed into law last week by Gov. Bruce Rauner prohibits businesses from including or enforcing nondisparagement clauses in contracts for the sale or lease of consumer goods or services. Such so-called "gag" clauses are meant to dissuade customers from posting critical reviews by threatening them with fees if they do."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...823-story.html
    This line from the article is why people hate lawyers:

By contrast, the Illinois law, which amends the state's Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act, allows consumers to sue companies for damages and attorneys' fees, DiTommaso said.

"That opens up a whole other area of benefit to consumers," he said. And, he said, "it creates new litigation for me, which is wonderful."