Thread: Eclipse of April 8, 2024

Eclipse of April 8, 2024

If you get the chance, see a total eclipse. The partial eclipse doesn't even come close, the full is a completely different event and absolutely lived up to all the hype. The full eclipse was undersold.

Traffic on I57 from the full eclipse zone in southern Illinois took as much as 16 hours to return to Chicago (we took 10 by leaving the I57 corridor and diverting to 51 and then North until I55). Everyone I know that got caught in the traffic after having seen the full eclipse said they'd do it again.

Nothing I've seen on video, image or written even comes close to capturing the enormity of the experience. Don't miss the second chance.
    Last edited by jombl; 08-23-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    I saw it in 70's. Pretty neat when you're a kid. Be neat to see in it Mexico, land of their 'sungods'.

If you get the chance, see a total eclipse. The partial eclipse doesn't even come close, the full is a completely different event and absolutely lived up to all the hype. The full eclipse was undersold.

+1

I went to Columbia, MO (niece is attending Mizzou) and it was pretty awesome. Got some OK video, but the phone cameras didn't really capture it. Even the camcorder didn't capture the color right.

Anyway, definitely go see the next totality if you didn't see this one.

Traffic back from Columbus, by the way, was clear pretty much the whole way back (gapers for an accident slowed us down). We took a back road around the west side of Springfield because it was dinner time so we had to exit the Interstate anyway and there was a backup on I55 on the east side of town. But other than that it was fine until the rain slowed us down as we neared Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    +1

I went to Columbia, MO (niece is attending Mizzou) and it was pretty awesome. Got some OK video, but the phone cameras didn't really capture it. Even the camcorder didn't capture the color right.

Traffic back from Columbus, by the way, was clear pretty much the whole way back (gapers for an accident slowed us down). We took a back road around the west side of Springfield because it was dinner time so we had to exit the Interstate anyway and there was a backup on I55 on the east side of town. But other than that it was fine until the rain slowed us down as we neared Chicago.
    My friends at Logboat had Moon Speck on tap for the eclipse...a family member partook, did you visit? If not, next visit you should.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...0dfdeebbc.html

Late add: Logboat had the artist who does their cans/labels create a collector poster for the day too...

IMG_6336.jpg
    Last edited by Cliché; 08-23-2017 at 11:07 AM.

I didn't have a ton of time to imbibe. Arrived late Sunday night, slept in, watched the eclipse, ate a sit down lunch and pretty much hit the road.

Going to try and get back down there for an SEC football game this year, so I'll have to try and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    +1

We took the same way back from Festus MO. April 8, 2024 be there.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    I am just back from traveling 2,000 miles to and from my Epic Solo Solar Sojourn. Videos and photos to follow. Lots of editing to do. Oh, I guess you might want to know where I was? You can look up Alliance, and Hemmingford, NE. Middle of just about nowhere. I felt like I was in to outback of Australia. 6 days in Nebraska, and rustic camping, is more than enough. Glad to be back.

OK, so I've got a raw unedited HD video. 8.5 minutes and 2.5GB. Hosted on my site. Click the photo below and it should load a tab with the video in it. You can choose the full screen video icon from there. I think I said "WOW!" about 15 times. And it was. Trying to thread a 77mm filter back on in total darkness is a *****. It actually seemed darker than nighttime at total because the eyes can't adjust that fast to the changing light. The site was chosen due to the statistically very low chance of daytime clouds. All in all, it was well worth the drive and extreme effort to get there under the line.

Last edited by GESince1958; 08-24-2017 at 01:48 PM.

How wonderful so many people took the time to take in this great experience! Takes your mind off the day doesn't it!

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupechennel View Post
    How wonderful so many people took the time to take in this great experience! Takes your mind off the day doesn't it!
    And I went a full week without news about what daily idiocy Trump was doing or of North Korea. In fact, connection to anything was next to impossible up there, including cell phone coverage. Just me, the Nebraska rustic landscape, lots of varied photography and the great American open road ahead. Also, thank goodness for 3 free months of SiriusXM in my car!

Gallery of the trip, in progress:

http://www.davidwattsphotography.com...Totally-Solar/

The actual eclipse photos will be added as I get to them. Yes, they do exist. There are many hundreds to sort through and match up. I bracketed more than I ever had before. Too important not to.

Solar Prominences visible - big one at the 1:30 position.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 08-24-2017 at 11:57 PM.

❤️📷

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk