Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Metra Station

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Yeah, they are all sad, this one had an impact on me years ago, it was so tragic...
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...-freight-train

A couple years prior to that above accident, it was our first weekend in our new house and as a proud first-time homeowner, I'm outside tackling yard work and getting to know my new neighbors...beautiful day, and one of the neighbors, a GEVFC member, hearing his pager go off, sets down his lawn tools and immediately runs off on the fire call. Enjoying the awesome day in my yard, he returns 4 hours later and picks up right where he left off in the yard. Later that early evening, over a beer I ask, so what was the call? His reply, "Person hit by train," and I ask "Well what do the firemen do? Why were you gone so long?" He nonchalantly replies, "Flagging body parts."

Since that day, I've paid closer attention to the train incidents because they impact not only the victims and their family/friends, but others around us. And, quite obviously, it was the beginning of my understanding of what the our Volunteer Fire men and women in town do for us...deep respect and admiration to them.
    Yes, first huge thanks to the GEVFC for everything they do.

I live next to the tracks and that woman could have been me, may she rest in peace. Ever since the Chicago and Northwestern was bought by the Union Pacific around 1996, the UP has used various areas in GE for staging of trains since there is well over a mile between park blvd. and Finley/Crescent in Lombard. One labor day weekend a few years ago they left several engines running for the whole 3 day weekend. the good news is that it seems like they're parking engines less than they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    That crossing, along with pretty much all crossings, is owned by Metra. They have been making a concerted effort to eliminate as many pedestrian and road crossings as they can. The incident 15 years or so ago probably made it an easy decision.
    The station, platforms, and crossings are owned by UPRR.

Quote Originally Posted by glenellynman60137 View Post
    The station, platforms, and crossings are owned by UPRR.
    Welcome glenellynman60137! How long did you work on that name?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Welcome glenellynman60137! How long did you work on that name?
    Thank you! I attempted to utilize the name glenellynman but it was taken; hence I had to add something so why not 60137?

Heh. Should I change to
    Glenellynman601374067

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    Heh. Should I change to
    Glenellynman601374067

Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by glenellynman60137 View Post
    Sure!
    Hmm. But now I have given away my secret identity..

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    Hmm. But now I have given away my secret identity..

There are no "secret identities." This is 2017.

Keeping this thread on track, so to speak, I just returned from the far far far NW territories of Nebraska. Partially took the Lincoln Highway, Rte. 30, back instead of I-80. So when we're talking about overpasses and underpasses, I have a suggestion. Go to Google Earth or Google Maps and do a street view from the centers of all the towns east and west of North Platte. You will see some of the most awesome pedestrian overpass bridges over their 3 tracks (the very same 3 we have here, btw). I am going to presume, perhaps incorrectly, that all of these were paid for by the railroad. They're practically identical.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Took at peek at the first town east (Maxwell, NE), and I see a nice at-grade pedestrian crossing alongside Pine Street

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Took at peek at the first town east (Maxwell, NE), and I see a nice at-grade pedestrian crossing alongside Pine Street
    No, that's not it. I'll try to post a screenshot.

Here is one of the many identical ped overpasses.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 08-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.

This would be more fun...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Here is one of the many identical ped overpasses.
    Any idea if there are stairs near the bridge abutments? If not, those ramps look about the same walk as from the station to Park or Main. Plus, they're taking up valuable parking areas.

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Any idea if there are stairs near the bridge abutments? If not, those ramps look about the same walk as from the station to Park or Main. Plus, they're taking up valuable parking areas.
    I would bet there are alternate designs that are more compact. Maybe an elevator? That would be cool! But yes, the area for those stairs is HUGE! But, I'd bet they could incorporate some type of mini-mall under them, or maybe a restaurant/coffee shop. But not a smokey pool hall bar. The proximity to the trains could upset a good pool game.