Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: New Metra Station

  1. #1
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568

    New Metra Station

    http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2017/0...ation/a7rzuuk/


    "It would be nice for it to be torn down and to build something historic," Jones said after a public workshop on Aug. 2 regarding proposed improvements to the aging station, which was built in the 1960s.

    Something historic . . . being built soon in a neighborhood near you.

    Moved here in 1994. Been talk about this ever since.

  2. #2
    Forum All Star southge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,131
    I know its been awhile, but it does not sound like commuters are responding a lot. For commuting, this is one of the easiest stations to use in the area. I love parking in the south lot. When I get off the train at night, I am frequently just steps a way from my car. After I wait for the foot traffic to clear out, I might be in line worse case with 15 or 20 other cars. Catch the 5:13 vs 5:09 and I have the parking lot to myself. I never have a problem crossing tracks in the morning as the freight traffic seems to be cut back while commuter trains are running. Rarely go in the station, but I do believe it closes by 10 or 11 am for the day. Once I get north of Roosevelt, traffic is not that bad in the morning. The downtown area is usually fairly empty. Granted school will start soon. Yeah it would be nice to fix some traffic flow issues, but we really have it pretty sweet.

  3. #3
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GlenEllynMetra

    Here is a survey if you ain't taken it yet.

  4. #4
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GlenEllynMetra

    Here is a survey if you ain't taken it yet.
    Thread envy? You couldn't just "bump" my thread?

    http://glenellynforum.com/showthread...Station-Survey

  5. #5
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Thread envy? You couldn't just "bump" my thread?

    http://glenellynforum.com/showthread...Station-Survey
    Kinda noticing that you take duplicate postings a little too personally. I don't read every post on this site.

  6. #6
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Kinda noticing that you take duplicate postings a little too personally. I don't read every post no this site.

  7. #7
    Forum All Star southge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GlenEllynMetra

    Here is a survey if you ain't taken it yet.
    Thanks I did reply to it. I felt they slanted the survey towards items that they wanted vs just focusing on simpler changes. Like removing the large stones that separate sidewalk and lot on south side. I know the parking lot config was put in just before the pedestrian cross walk was pulled and pace bus service was cancelled. How about making adjustments for that? And I added to that to my comments too.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glen Ellyn
    Posts
    659
    "It would be nice for it to be torn down and to build something historic"

    I understand the intended meaning, but this quote as published is pretty funny.

  9. #9
    Forum All Star DTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    2,667
    they just need to back to the pedestrian crossing they used to have right at the station.....

  10. #10
    Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    they just need to back to the pedestrian crossing they used to have right at the station.....
    Do you think it's a legal issue why that crossing was removed? Did that crossing belong only to Metra, perhaps? People are equally stupid crossing the tracks at Main or Park, etc., but I do remember people seeming especially careless using that old pedestrian crossing.

    I'm all for a pedestrian underpass or overpass at the station. Way too many freights these days (yes, I catch the 7:17 am and have gotten stuck waiting for a freight to get by so I could cross at Main).

  11. #11
    Administrator Clamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Do you think it's a legal issue why that crossing was removed? Did that crossing belong only to Metra, perhaps? People are equally stupid crossing the tracks at Main or Park, etc., but I do remember people seeming especially careless using that old pedestrian crossing.

    I'm all for a pedestrian underpass or overpass at the station. Way too many freights these days (yes, I catch the 7:17 am and have gotten stuck waiting for a freight to get by so I could cross at Main).
    That crossing, along with pretty much all crossings, is owned by Metra. They have been making a concerted effort to eliminate as many pedestrian and road crossings as they can. The incident 15 years or so ago probably made it an easy decision.

  12. #12
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,011
    Metra would NEVER put a crossing in place like that again, NEVER.

  13. #13
    Forum All Star DTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    2,667
    Wonder how much it would cost to have a guard at that location.....certainly cheaper than an over/underpass.

    the new light rail in denver has had flaggers 24/7 at their crossings for over a year....

    http://www.9news.com/news/local/next...line/460027670

  14. #14
    Forum All Star Perplexed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    41.876387, -88.066747
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Wonder how much it would cost to have a guard at that location.....certainly cheaper than an over/underpass.

    the new light rail in denver has had flaggers 24/7 at their crossings for over a year....

    http://www.9news.com/news/local/next...line/460027670
    What happens after a year? What if a flagger has to pee or gets sick? Pedestrians and unprotected grade crossings are a very bad mix... Heck, look at the idiots that walk around the gates now.

    Picking up body parts on the tracks is something you never forget...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Forum Hall of Famer Cliché's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,011
    A flagger replaces the functionality of an over/underpass how?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •