Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Metra Station

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    What happens after a year? What if a flagger has to pee or gets sick? Pedestrians and unprotected grade crossings are a very bad mix... Heck, look at the idiots that walk around the gates now.

Picking up body parts on the tracks is something you never forget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand why we could not install grade-level pedestrian crossing (aka what we had for decades) with gates and cameras.

Steve

agreed. How many years did we have the pedestrian crossing and how many incidents were there?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Wonder how much it would cost to have a guard at that location.....certainly cheaper than an over/underpass.

the new light rail in denver has had flaggers 24/7 at their crossings for over a year....

http://www.9news.com/news/local/next...line/460027670
    because they couldn't get their system working properly, per the story. Certainly no one is saving money out there. And, yeah, flaggers will get the freight trains to stop?

I think we have some expertise on this forum. So how is a grade-level pedestrian crossing at the station any different from the unmonitored sidewalk pedestrian crossings at Main and Park? Does having cars and pedestrians together somehow change the equation for pedestrians? I don't see how it does. They could still have bells, lights, and gates just like the other crossings. I don't think the old crossing had anything like this, but it would certainly be less expensive to install than a tunnel or bridge.

I really just want the ability to walk up Forest to catch the train instead of Park or Main. Less car exhaust and roadway noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    I don't think the old crossing had anything like this, but it would certainly be less expensive to install than a tunnel or bridge.
    Not disagreeing with anything you say here Ellynby (also, long time no speak), bringing up my same point as yesterday, that this discussion is fallacious and flawed.

The under/overpass tunnel/bridge was never about adding a safe crossing, it has always been about improving access for pedestrians and commuters and to bypass the existing crossings.

Two separate issues, 1) Should a tunnel/bridge be constructed in tandem with a station renovation (funding for it by Village not Metra) to improve access for CBD pedestrians and commuters and, 2) Should a crossing be built for fat, lazy people in between the two crossings we currently have within less than a hundred steps of the station.

As a reminder....

http://glenellynforum.com/showthread...estrian-bridge

Forum Regular
    I worked as a transportation planner many years ago in the Metra department in charge of improving the stations. Even then the railroads (who own the tracks) were dead set on eliminating any pedestrian crossing they could in order to reduce liability. So, Glen Ellyn lost the center pedestrian crossing across from the station door what, 10-15 years ago? (I don't remember. Been here too long (31 years this month.)) And I promise you what the railroad wants supersedes anything GE or Metra might want. So it's off the table.
    Just found this study from 5 years ago...#11. our access to downtown is a huge asset...
    https://las.depaul.edu/centers-and-i...l%20Report.pdf
    Last edited by Mary Ozog; 08-15-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    I think we have some expertise on this forum. So how is a grade-level pedestrian crossing at the station any different from the unmonitored sidewalk pedestrian crossings at Main and Park? Does having cars and pedestrians together somehow change the equation for pedestrians? I don't see how it does. They could still have bells, lights, and gates just like the other crossings. I don't think the old crossing had anything like this, but it would certainly be less expensive to install than a tunnel or bridge.

I really just want the ability to walk up Forest to catch the train instead of Park or Main. Less car exhaust and roadway noise.
    It's all numbers to them. They want less. They feel less is better. They feel less is safer. They are actively taking them (road and ped) out where they think they can and should. And, of course, they own the property. And other than driving into the big city, you really have no competing product to utilize. They must realize that. So . . . guessing they don't care what we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ozog View Post
    So, Glen Ellyn lost the center pedestrian crossing across from the station door what, 10-15 years ago?
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ain-train-horn

I remember that accident, it was very sad. Actually, I remember all of them...

I remember that accident, it was very sad. Actually, I remember all of them...
    Yeah, they are all sad, this one had an impact on me years ago, it was so tragic...
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...-freight-train

A couple years prior to that above accident, it was our first weekend in our new house and as a proud first-time homeowner, I'm outside tackling yard work and getting to know my new neighbors...beautiful day, and one of the neighbors, a GEVFC member, hearing his pager go off, sets down his lawn tools and immediately runs off on the fire call. Enjoying the awesome day in my yard, he returns 4 hours later and picks up right where he left off in the yard. Later that early evening, over a beer I ask, so what was the call? His reply, "Person hit by train," and I ask "Well what do the firemen do? Why were you gone so long?" He nonchalantly replies, "Flagging body parts."

Since that day, I've paid closer attention to the train incidents because they impact not only the victims and their family/friends, but others around us. And, quite obviously, it was the beginning of my understanding of what the our Volunteer Fire men and women in town do for us...deep respect and admiration to them.

I can't believe that was twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ozog View Post
    So, Glen Ellyn lost the center pedestrian crossing across from the station door what, 10-15 years ago?
    Looks like 12 years ago

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ers-pedestrian

What if a flagger has to pee or gets sick?

We tried that already, lost a Doctor at the Prospect crossing.

While Dr. Higley was making calls, driving in a closed car.. his machine was hit squarely by the Chicago & North Western RR.

Doctor Higley's car just reached the center of the track as the onrushing train reached the crossing....The watchman at the crossing, which the coroner's jury declared is poorly safeguarded and watched by a man of very inferior intellect, had waved the doctor to cross.