Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hetlet's 2018 Hitters

So, according to the rules:

In football over four years:
    1. Participated in two state championship games.
    2. Starting with the 2015 season, schools would be moved up two classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in three championship games.
    3. Starting with the 2016 season, schools would be moved up three classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in four championship games.
    4. Schools that move up more than one class due to the implementation of the above criteria will move down one class per year until they reach their appropriate classification for their enrollment should they stop meeting the advancement criteria outlined above

Since they only moved up one class, they are stuck at 8A? At some point, won't all teams who play in 2 championship games in 4 years in 7A be bumped to 8A and never go back?

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Since they only moved up one class, they are stuck at 8A? At some point, won't all teams who play in 2 championship games in 4 years in 7A be bumped to 8A and never go back?
    West is 7A, and one of the largest 7A enrollments. I am no expert on the rules, however, West was not "bumped up" per se...teams are seeded by points, a certain number of wins, and the w/l record of the opponent is factored in as well...so your ranking changes each week.

There were multiple scenarios even until the last week that had West in 7A playoffs...then what happened is no "on the cusp" 8A teams garnered more points than West.

Throughout the end of the season, the scenarios played out...I frequent Edgy Tim Free site...really knowledgable posters, way more so than I...here is a typical thread to illustrate the complexity and moving goalposts...

https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/th...g-games.13653/

Postscript: One clarification, I believe by "championship game" they mean the final game, not just making the playoffs.
    Last edited by Cliché; 11-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.

GBW is 7A, but played in the 8A bracket....it appears to me they will play in that bracket in perpetuity.

Rules were changed in 2014 (see posted above). GBW participated in the championship game in 2012 and 2015, meeting the "Participated in two state championship games" over "four years" test. no?

I read the forum you posted as just what is needed to make the playoffs.

nevermind....found the IHSA page which lists which teams are affected by the "success adjustment"

from this link:

The following schools are affected by the Success Adjustment and, if they qualify for the playoffs, will be assigned to the designated class in 2017: Lombard (Montini) (6A), Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) (6A), LaGrange Park (Nazareth) (6A).

The following schools have elected to "play up" to a different class in 2017: Chicago (Phillips) (5A), East St. Louis (Sr.) (7A)..

nevermind....found the IHSA page which lists which teams are affected by the "success adjustment":
    It is a tad crazy, and, there is a proposal to add more teams to the playoffs too...so there is that too.

GBW is 7A, but played in the 8A bracket....it appears to me they will play in that bracket in perpetuity.
    No, each year is different. The thread illustrated there are teams on the edge that will move up to 8A if not enough 8A qualify with points. It is complex, West being one of the largest 7A schools with a successful program will always find themselves on the edge of 7A and 8A come playoff time.

Postscript: After reading the link you provided, now I know why I can't explain it well...
    Last edited by Cliché; 11-06-2017 at 01:14 PM.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Hitters could go 1-8 annually and, so long as that single win was against Hinsdale Central, I would deem those seasons to be a tremendous success.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Hitters could go 1-8 annually and, so long as that single win was against Hinsdale Central, I would deem those seasons to be a tremendous success.
    I agree. Being the smallest school in 8A is tough.. And something to be proud of.

I lived in GE for 20 years. The kids who play football at GBW learn a lot off the field also. Even as we missed our last fourth down I watched two of our boys help an Oswego boy up.

I have a rare opportunity to occasionally over hear the coaches talk to the boys. The coaches are teachers and mentors first..

Steve

Steve

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    The coaches are teachers and mentors first..

Steve

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Except when they posted on www.glen-ellyn.com. That was weird...and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Except when they posted on www.glen-ellyn.com. That was weird...and awesome.
    He's still watching you.

Better late than never...weird no one ever mentioned this thread is incorrectly named... (said the idiot who started it)