Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hetlet's 2018 Hitters

Hetlet's 2018 Hitters

Never too early to start this thread...

Top 15 most dominant Illinois high school football programs since 2006 (link) MaxPreps
    1. Montini Catholic (Lombard)
    2. Chicago Mt. Carmel
    3. Loyola Academy (Wilmette)
    4. Glenbard West (Glen Ellyn)
    State titles: 2
    Runner-ups: 1
    Top 25 state rankings: 2008 (6), 2009 (5), 2010 (11), 2011 (8), 2012 (1), 2013 (12), 2014 (4), 2015 (2), 2016 (8)

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    #1 if you filter out the private schools [that can enroll specifically skilled students from far and wide].

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    #1 if you filter out the private schools [that can enroll specifically skilled students from far and wide].
    Excellent point.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    that can enroll specifically skilled students from far and wide
    Yea, that would never happen with the almighty Hitters.....

What is also interesting is that Glenbard West has the largest football enrollment of all the D87 schools. Seems like other high schools are shrinking, but GW enrollment is rather steady. Probably all those skilled players moving into GW enrollment area.

Here is the link to IHSA enrollments for 2017 season.
    http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Boy...fb/enrolln.htm

GW is the 56th largest school by enrollment for 2017 season.

2321.00 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West)
    2248.00 Lombard (Glenbard East)
    2229.00 Carol Stream (Glenbard North)
    2101.00 Wheaton (North)
    2009.00 Wheaton (W. Warrenville South)
    1172.00 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRandy View Post
    What is also interesting is that Glenbard West has the largest football enrollment of all the D87 schools.
    I also find it interesting that West has such a large contingent of football kids with all that is known about repetitive head trauma and the potential long term effects. I am totally not judging anyone on this subject as I understand it is personal family decision. I am curious, however, if there are any parents out there with kids playing (played) football and whether they would be willing to comment as to if this risk is a factor in the decision for kids to play football these days?

I remember reading an article about 5 years ago that suggested youth football was a dying sport due to head trauma but it sure doesn't look that way in Glen Ellyn.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRandy View Post
    What is also interesting is that Glenbard West has the largest football enrollment of all the D87 schools. Seems like other high schools are shrinking, but GW enrollment is rather steady. Probably all those skilled players moving into GW enrollment area.

Here is the link to IHSA enrollments for 2017 season.
    http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Boy...fb/enrolln.htm

GW is the 56th largest school by enrollment for 2017 season.

2321.00 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West)
    2248.00 Lombard (Glenbard East)
    2229.00 Carol Stream (Glenbard North)
    2101.00 Wheaton (North)
    2009.00 Wheaton (W. Warrenville South)
    1172.00 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South)
    Welcome aboard Randy...if you go back and look at the previous "Hetlet" threads for each year you'll note this is a constant theme, West is often on the bubble for class distinction (7A, 8A).

I have no first-hand knowledge of kids moving here for the program, although I do know there have been numerous kids that "showed up." I'll go out on a limb to say the coaching staff, not just at West, but at the Eagles level as well, is a contributing factor to the long success of the program...it's not just Hetlet, lot of volunteer Dads. Many of the past 5 years or so GW is severely undersized, yet outplays their opponents. Fun program to watch, I'm sure it is fun to participate.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Physically relocating to GBW (or any school) enrollment boundary is a much bigger barrier than commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    Yea, that would never happen with the almighty Hitters.....

+1, Gotta agree with you there. Boy, that would be a can of worms to try and unpack. It would though be interesting to see which line of reasoning/debate held up better in the end, free market or childhood?

I also find it interesting that West has such a large contingent of football kids with all that is known about repetitive head trauma and the potential long term effects.
    Here we disagree, a little. Football is not that much higher in actual concussions than soccer - and may be lower for long term repetitive risk than soccer. Adjust for position by taking out the running backs and punt returner and soccer is probably worse. Football equipment, rules and medical care are moving at light speed and that reduces the quantity and severity while also improving recovery and preventing stacking of injury on injury. Soccer is not there and is actually still statistically rising in rate, severity and repetition (this is said to be because of greater understanding and better diagnosis).

I've known and worked with more than a few former professional athletes in several of the world's major sports, and by far it's the soccer players that seem the carry the most brain thick aura about them as a group in my limited sample set - but I can't say it's from the frequent use of the brain box as foot, fist or bat and/or the tough-guy ethos of European soccer. At the time, I simply put it down to the pseudo-education that is a byproduct of the European farm system. Now I wonder if it really was the culture or was it more possibly the cumulative damage to young and still growing brains suffering successive concussive injuries?
    Last edited by jombl; 07-31-2017 at 06:37 PM.

I am curious, however, if there are any parents out there with kids playing (played) football and whether they would be willing to comment as to if this risk is a factor in the decision for kids to play football these days?
    I would say that numbers for Golden Eagles are down from years past. They also expanded flag football beyond 2nd grade, so that has taken away some of the numbers from the 3rd/4th grade levels.

Personally, I think the fear is a little bit overblown if your kid is only going to play youth/high school. I'm sure there is some damage done, but I'm not convinced it rises to the level of "significant" or long-lasting for most kids. I mean, if it were that detrimental to play high school ball I think there'd be hundreds of thousands of drooling idiots wandering around.

Some kids (and some positions) are more prone than others, and if my kids turn out to be one of those kids who is prone to repeated concussions or symptoms I'd either urge them to stop the sport, or, if it were really bad, pull them out myself. I have two players, one an Eagle and one at West and neither is at that point, nor have they ever reported it. Both are aware of the issue. And neither is a gung-ho type that would lie to hide anything. Both are more concerned about their brain than the game.

In all my years of playing (3rd grade through high school) I never had a concussion or headaches, etc. So hopefully genetics plays a factor. But I learned much later that my buddy who played fullback had headaches/nausea/short term memory loss after every game and played through it all. That's scary stuff.

I'm a little fortunate in that neither of my boys are likely to be in an offensive "skill" position in high school so I don't think they'll get pounded too bad. We'll just have to cross that bridge if they ever get symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I mean, if it were that detrimental to play high school ball I think there'd be hundreds of thousands of drooling idiots wandering around.

you don't see them since some of them stay in their basement and run message boards

Forum Regular
    you all seem to forget that volleyball is a dangerous sport too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2nVQNlUB8

I also find it interesting that West has such a large contingent of football kids with all that is known about repetitive head trauma and the potential long term effects. I am totally not judging anyone on this subject as I understand it is personal family decision. I am curious, however, if there are any parents out there with kids playing (played) football and whether they would be willing to comment as to if this risk is a factor in the decision for kids to play football these days?

I remember reading an article about 5 years ago that suggested youth football was a dying sport due to head trauma but it sure doesn't look that way in Glen Ellyn.
    Our son plays. I make it a point to stay up to date on the studies by Mayo. There is definitely a risk, but there are also significant unique benefits to the GBW Football program. At the end of the day the parents should think through the risks and rewards..

Over the past few years football has received a lot of well-earned negative press. The NFL chose to cover up problems they should have handled directly.

Recent reliable studies suggest that other sports such as soccer and girls basketball also have significant risks of CTE and head trauma. I have heard football fans indicate that girls soccer has a higher concussion rate than football, but I believe they are not reading the results correctly...

As a parent I have confidence that the trainers, coaches, and physicians who monitor the Hitters are extremely aware of the risks and take their responsibilities very seriously.

My personal experience with club soccer and basketball has not been as positive. I have heard local soccer coaches encourage girls to take the field after head to head impacts. I also had a local AAU coach try to talk me into letting my daughter play in a tournament when she was not cleared to play by a neurologist.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I have a HS girl who has been in club soccer for years and currently plays at West. I have told her to not head the ball, regardless of what the coaches may tell her. She is smart enough to understand the risks and agrees none of this is worth it for a sport she is having fun with though high school. I have seen little in the way of precautions by the coaches/trainers. We have played teams where all players are wearing concussion headbands, including Glenbard East. We have emailed the coaches about this and received no responses. Its disgraceful not to have all the precautions we can for these kids. Am sure if it were for the football team they would have them right away . . . just sayin