Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hetlet's 2018 Hitters

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tadzax View Post
    I have a HS girl who has been in club soccer for years and currently plays at West. I have told her to not head the ball, regardless of what the coaches may tell her. She is smart enough to understand the risks and agrees none of this is worth it for a sport she is having fun with though high school. I have seen little in the way of precautions by the coaches/trainers. We have played teams where all players are wearing concussion headbands, including Glenbard East. We have emailed the coaches about this and received no responses. Its disgraceful not to have all the precautions we can for these kids. Am sure if it were for the football team they would have them right away . . . just sayin
    I couldn't agree with this more. My middle school daughter just dropped club soccer to focus on other pursuits and I couldn't be happier. She had very little risk now but I knew the issue of head trauma was coming down the road. Honestly, with all the information that is coming out these days about head injuries I don't know why anyone is playing sports with high risk of injury. From a risk/reward standpoint, I just don't understand it. I believe there was a report out in the last week or so (I don't have it so I could be wrong) that talked about 90 plus percent of all brains of football players tested showed signs of CTE. I read one article quoting an expert in the field talking that CTE is not caused by any one trauma or concussion but by a series of micro-traumas and the micro-traumas are much worse to a developing brain than to a brain of an adult. I have no idea if this is in fact true but it sure was a scary thing to read. Give me the math team!

Your comments about the girls soccer program at West are also interesting. I have heard so many bad things from parents about that coach and the program. Many talented girls specifically stay away from soccer because of that. Or at least that was what I was told. Good luck to your daughter, hope things go well for her!

Personally, I have known more young woman soccer players sustain concussions than male football players.

I'm sure the girls soccer program could get concussion bands if the coaches pushed for it.. As of a few years ago, GB East was one of the only programs in the state/region requiring head bands.

The equipment that football provides tends to be very expensive and reusable. A top of the line football helmet is over $300 and can be reused for about a decade if it is recertified and inspected. A Full 90 soccer headgear is under $30.00 and tends to be a 'personal item' It would be best of the school provided Full 90's for all soccer players (or provided a scholarship), but it's not really the type of item that can be reused year after year. I agree there should at leat be a scholarship if a family needed assistance.

The larger issue with soccer is the general soccer community does not see the NEED for headgear. Football safety equipment is required by the IHSA (helmet upper pads, lower pads, mouthguard). The US soccer has not pushed to provide safety equipment for their players. My observations is the league is focusd more on the competitive risks of having US soccer players until to 'play the ball in the air' than the risks of concussions, CTE, etc. It took a lawsuite in SFO To get the league to take a small step in the right direction a few years ago and ban heading for 'little kids'. The league chose to ignore the recommendation by padiatricians to ban heading below 14.

Almost all of the football coaches I have worked with are 100% committed to 'keep the head OUT of the game'. I only know of one instance several years where a coach was running a drill that was not safe and the other youth football coaches and board addressed the situation within a few hours. The football coaches and parents all want to see their kids grow up happy and healthy.

As a sports photographer, I have a unique position on the field and often hear discussions between high school football coaches and officials. I have never seen a high school coach directly or indirectly disagree with a trainer or physician. My only worry is the kids will try to 'hide' an injury because they love to play the game...

My daughter received a nasty concussion (head to head) playing 6th-grade soccer. Her soccer coaches were obviously not trained to handle the situation but they knew she should stay off the field and pulled her out. I was amazed to overhear the Lakers soccer coach suggest their girl could go back out on the field. My daugher was out for 3 months, had an emergency MRI, etc..... I sent an email with my concerns to the local soccer teams involved and was disappoined to see the same 'professional' coach at a game a few months later. Soccer is still in denial..

On another note, the NFL recently decided to 'halt' funding of an NIH research program because the researchers had published articles contrary to football. Idiots. Just plain idiots.

Steve

Forum Regular
    Not arguing with you sseaney....these are tough choices for parents and kids and I am not in a position to pass judgment on these issues. With that said, the discussion regarding these issues is usually about the number of "concussions" that occur during that sport. From what I have read (and the neurologist with whom I have spoken) the real issue the accumulation of these micro traumas that occur throughout games and practices. The only way to eliminate those is to eliminate the sport. As you likely know, the brain is not an attached organ. It essentially floats inside the skull. The sudden acceleration and deceleration that occurs so frequently in football (and other sports) results in trauma to the brain because the brain is basically bouncing off of the inside of the skull. The best helmets in the world (or any other outside protective devices) have basically zero impact on these numerous incidents of micro traumas. For many athletes it may have no affect over time but they are just scratching the surface of figuring out how they truly impact cognitive, mental, and emotional development. It really is a fascinating subject. I hope all the kids who are playing any sports are ok in the end.

Forum Regular
    Interesting article and perspective: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/08/be...u-cte-football The Tribune recently had an editorial on this subject as well but I don't have that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    Interesting article and perspective: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/08/be...u-cte-football The Tribune recently had an editorial on this subject as well but I don't have that link.

"Message from the Assistant Secretary for Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

Thread hijacking is the most commonly diagnosed internet etiquette disorder in the United States, yet most cases are preventable, and there is a cure. Every year in the United States, nearly 15 million people go off topic, creating a separate conversation. Despite recent efforts to address bad internet etiquette, hijacking rates continue to rise.

We know there are many strategies that work to protect us from thread hijacking, and we need to use them. Our researchers at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have recently discovered a revolutionary solution to help cure hijacking: If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread.

Join me in promoting and sustaining our efforts to make thread integrity a reality. Together, we can be a nation that is active, healthy, and safe from thread hijacking.

Boris D. Lushniak, M.D., M.P.H.
    Rear Admiral, U.S. Public Health Service
    Acting Surgeon General
    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Title chasing (link) Daily Herald

"Perennial Class 7A power Glenbard West reached the 8A semifinals last season. Regardless of the class they fall in this year, the Hilltoppers will be tough as ever -- especially on offense.

Running backs Ryan Diver and Dre Thomas are back along with receiver Alec Pierce, who holds about a dozen college scholarship offers. The focus usually rests on the Hilltoppers' traditionally stingy defense, but the offense may need to carry the load early.

"It's a lot of no-name kids that people haven't really heard about," said Glenbard West coach Chad Hetlet. "We need our defense to come together, but this has the potential to be a really good group."

Aug. 26 Sat vs. MAINE SOUTH 1:30 PM
    Sept. 2 Sat vs. PROVISO EAST 1:30 PM
    Sept. 8 Fri @ ADDISON TRAIL 7:30 PM
    Sept. 16 Sat vs. YORK 1:30 PM
    Sept. 22 Fri @ DOWNERS GROVE NORTH 7:30 PM
    Sept. 29 Fri @ LYONS TOWNSHIP 7:30 PM -
    Oct. 7 Sat vs. HINSDALE CENTRAL - HOMECOMING 1:30 PM
    Oct. 13 Fri @ OAK PARK RIVER FOREST 7:30 PM
    Oct. 21 Sat vs. PROVISO WEST 1:00 PM

CSN Preps Preseason Power Rankings: No. 4 Glenbard West (link)

"You never count Glenbard West out of any street fight, the Hitters will just come out, play fast, play physical and just beat you. The Hitters will be there all year long."

EDGY's Early Take: Glenbard West and head coach Chad Hetlet will look toward the offense - in particular his backfield - as a strength with senior RB Ryan Diver along with senior RB Dre Thomas headlining the Hilltoppers running attack. Senior QB Alex Hollensbe is a threat with the run and the pass and senior WR Alec Pierce is a headliner. If the defense comes ready to play out of the gates this has the makings of another team capable of big things in 2017.

This is not live on game day, it is the following day Sunday on Comcast SportsNet

CSH Chicago #2 Game of the Week

Maine South @ Glenbard West
    Game of the Week's second Football match-up features two perennial powers clashing at Duchon Field in Glen Ellyn. Turn on CN100 at Noon and 4pm on Sunday, August 27th as Glenbard West hosts Maine South. The Hilltoppers would like nothing more than starting off their season with a win over the defending Class 8A State Champs.

Chicago-area high school football preseason top 20 (link) Chicago Tribune

The Chicago Tribune suburban sports department has teamed up with The Cube to present this 2017 preseason ranking of the top 20 high school football teams in the Chicago area.

1. Glenbard West
    2. Maine South
    3. Waubonsie Valley
    4. Lincoln-Way East
    5. Prairie Ridge
    6. Loyola
    7. Lyons
    8. Homewood-Flossmoor
    9. Naperville Central
    10. Lake Zurich
    11. Palatine
    12. Marist
    13. Mount Carmel
    14. Phillips
    16. New Trier
    17. St. Rita
    18. Hinsdale Central
    19. Cary-Grove
    20. Montini

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Chicago-area high school football preseason top 20 (link) Chicago Tribune

The Chicago Tribune suburban sports department has teamed up with The Cube to present this 2017 preseason ranking of the top 20 high school football teams in the Chicago area.

1. Glenbard West
    2. Maine South
    3. Waubonsie Valley
    4. Lincoln-Way East
    5. Prairie Ridge
    6. Loyola
    7. Lyons
    8. Homewood-Flossmoor
    9. Naperville Central
    10. Lake Zurich
    11. Palatine
    12. Marist
    13. Mount Carmel
    14. Phillips
    16. New Trier
    17. St. Rita
    18. Hinsdale Central
    19. Cary-Grove
    20. Montini
    First game is Saturday at GBW against Maine South.

Steve

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sseaney View Post
    First game is Saturday at GBW against Maine South.
    Big game, according to Trib, #1 versus #2!

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Big game
    Can we dust off the temporary satellite tavern concept at Park & Pennsylvania? No? OK.

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Can we dust off the temporary satellite tavern concept at Park & Pennsylvania? No? OK.
    Can't you just cut to the chase and setup a bar in the science room that overlooks the field?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk