Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tour of Lake Ellyn July 15th 10 AM-8 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    You are the George Bailey of GE, so many of the town folk will show up to help at the very last minute, just like the movie. After all, GE is the " Village of Volunteers".
    But in It's a Wonderful Clam, after he leaps off the Hill Avenue Bridge, no one jumps in to save him.

Serves the atheist right, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Serves the atheist right, IMO.
    OK, this cheered me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    My pull in this town has slipped to epic low numbers. Slightly below 45's approval ratings. Repeated, and I mean repeated, calls for assistance for an hour or two during the races, other than two or three on this site, have fallen upon deaf ears. Two or three Forum people stepped up, next to zero FB contacts did. Cool event, but I am curious if there is interest in it. We'll find out Saturday. On top of that, pleas for donations to a bloody food pantry . . . . zero. Nothing.

Beginning to understand why my wife has been looking at me strangely lately. My relevance, what there was, gone. Poof.
    from the article:

Ben Raby and Jim Burket, who have worked to save the must-see event for its second year, extended an invitation to the cyclists through a "collaborative effort" with village officials.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    So that quick clip from Breaking Away, embedded above, featured two real racing cyclists from this very locale. One of them is Eddy Van Guyse, hair dyed black for the scene (who jammed his Silca pump into Dave Stoller's front wheel). One of the other four "Italians" was, wait for it, John Vande Velde. The same John Vande Velde who, with his family and the West Suburban Wheelmen, created the original Tour of Lake Ellyn in 1969. The same guy who should be (but wasn't last year) in attendance this year, behind the scenes. John is unfortunately not credited in Breaking Away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZ0N7VTDtY

John is featured close up near right, in at 1:01 through 1:07.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 07-11-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Was a beautiful day for a bike race! Was there something else going on in town? I wouldn't know, because bike racing around the Lake is too awesome to miss.

Working on my 2017 T.O.L.E. Gallery, which is here, but incomplete: http://www.davidwattsphotography.com...of-Lake-Ellyn/

Please use a home computer screen to view these and not a cell phone. Bottom left arrow starts a full screen slideshow. Not done editing or adding photos, no French dudes in there yet, photos not in logical order, no descriptions; lots still to do. Jim, your Haggerty related shots are still to come too.

I am exhausted.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 07-16-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    Was a beautiful day for a bike race! Was there something else going on in town? I wouldn't know, because bike racing around the Lake is too awesome to miss.

Working on my 2017 T.O.L.E. Gallery, which is here, but incomplete: http://www.davidwattsphotography.com...of-Lake-Ellyn/

Please use a home computer screen to view these and not a cell phone. Bottom left arrow starts a full screen slideshow. Not done editing or adding photos, no French dudes in there yet, photos not in logical order, no descriptions; lots still to do. Jim, your Haggerty related shots are still to come too.

I am exhausted.
    Nice photos, you really worked the whole course! It was nice to be able and say hi, sorry we didn't get to chat very long.

Great job manning the Vol Tent, Perp. Appreciate the all day effort.

Great job manning the Vol Tent, Perp. Appreciate the all day effort.
    Thank you, Clam, I was happy to help. You guys set the bar high in running a great race. I was amazed how smooth everything went. I hope you got some rest, you worked your a** off yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great day! Could not have asked for better weather. The organizers should be very proud of how the day went (not sure how everything went behind the scenes but to the observer it seemed smooth as silk). I was very proud to showcase the town and the course! Here's to hoping we see another one next year!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post

I am exhausted.
    Awesome stuff David! It was an awesome day all around, and you captured the athletes and surroundings wonderfully! Can't wait to see all of them. Just sent the link to all my photo buddies as well. Great stuff!

I just downloaded all my photos (and my son's who used my second body, he is 8 and just starting to learn) and will be posting sometime in the next day or two. Did not shoot much after my incident with the new stairs on the path leading to the playground, but I think I got some OK shots before I destroyed my body.
    Last edited by Bry; 07-17-2017 at 11:09 AM.

nice pics! did some dude's chain fall off as he crossed the finish line??

Cool event, but I am curious if there is interest in it. We'll find out Saturday.
    I was out of town, and sorry I missed it. Again.

From people who attended it sounds like it was a massive hit. Nicely done.

I thought this event was really fun and different - my kids really enjoyed it too. Thanks to all that helped out!

Great job by all who volunteered. I appreciate the effort greatly. Many thanks to GESince1958 for capturing everything that I was contractually obligated to capture. The event was well intended and seemingly enjoyed by everyone there. We were going to be happy to see 100 people at the Greentarget Family Fun Ride. There were over 250. The men's pro race was a photo finish with 0.01 seconds separating the first two riders. Thank you to all of the sponsors who actually wrote checks. I am humbled by your support.

Going forward, I cannot and shall not fund an event that has a competing event on the same night. Two years is enough. These outings tend to attract the exact same people so when there are two going at the same time, the events lose attendees and more importantly, fans of jazz and cycling need to choose. Makes no sense to me from a social or financial standpoint. Having them on the same day stretches resources like police and public works to the brink. Jazz Fest absolutely needs its own day. If only so I can attend.

https://youtu.be/Q2bJCml35s0

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017...ometown-flavor

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    I just downloaded all my photos (and my son's who used my second body, he is 8 and just starting to learn) and will be posting sometime in the next day or two. Did not shoot much after my incident with the new stairs on the path leading to the playground, but I think I got some OK shots before I destroyed my body.
    Whaaaaaat? No way! So sorry. Those stairs are almost invisible. They need to mark them somehow. Kid strollers falling down those is a recipe for disaster.

Awesome!