Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And at the Forum...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Fair enough. Do you think the reaction to Kevin Rath's post was over the top? https://www.facebook.com/groups/6306...7333915338832/
    I'm afraid I have to agree with that Burket guy...the link was an already-published newspaper article.

Five years ago, as a newly elected Glenbard High School District 87 board member, I was part of a months-long superintendent search. Part of our charge as Board members is to hire the Superintendent (and the Superintendent is the only employee we hire. We approve the rest of the District hires as recommended by the Superintendent.) We did not publicize who we were speaking with. I believe that privacy for candidates is important if you want to obtain the best candidates (and they are usually currently employed at comparable districts.) If you were looking for another job would you appreciate if the Daily Herald told your boss? Yes, this is public money/an important public employee we're talking about. Perhaps this is an instance where the public needs to (yes, here comes the T-word) trust the people they've elected to represent them, and trust that said board members know their district, and the communities it serves. (Oh, and be sure you VOTED for said representation. I was re-elected in 2015 by less than 20% of registered voters. SAD!) Believe me, our search was thorough, and the right questions were asked. When the final decision was made it was unanimous. Here's some insight to what happened in 2012. If the link doesn't work I've coped the pertinent D87 discussion from the article.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/707029933/

(from the Daily Herald, 7/2/12):
    Glenbard District 87

On March 19, school board President Rich Heim read from a prepared statement: After a seven-month closed-door search, the Glenbard school board had made its pick: David Larson. Heim read aloud a brief biography of the new superintendent to the 10 or so audience members who gathered in the school's cafeteria.

"We are very excited to have Dr. David Larson joining Glenbard District 87," Heim said. "He brings with him a diverse background and solid experience that will help him to address the challenges we face as a district in the coming years."

Just five minutes after Larson's name was publicly announced for the first time, the school board -- with nary an additional word -- voted 7-0 to put Larson in charge of the state's third-largest high school district.

Heim said the board used and valued the public's feedback during the course of the search process. But in reality, the only opportunity average residents had to be heard was to fill out a survey on the district's website about what characteristics they desired in a superintendent. A hand-picked focus group of about a dozen community members representing each Glenbard school got to interview Larson and two other finalists before the board eventually selected Larson during a closed session meeting March 3.

Most residents -- the people who will pay the superintendent's salary and send their children to the schools for which he's responsible -- weren't privy to the discussions that led to the selection of Glenbard's chief executive, who, starting today, will be responsible for overseeing the district's $131 million budget and managing four high schools with 9,000 students and 928 employees.

Hi, this is Mark Pfefferman. And I am NormS for this, Norm’s final post. NormS was actually three people – a grandfather and father who were well-connected in GE and liked to "poke the skunk" and a son early in his career at my company who knew how to post things on the interwebs. The grandfather died, the father moved away and the son stopped posting. Due to the NormS handle, love of GE and the close proximity of our desks, I eventually became introduced and a work mentor to the son. We had regular career meetings, he visited my home when he was in town to see his dad and we texted (usually not) deep thoughts. Today, as he did a couple of years ago, he brought me reams of paper with copies of PMs accusing him of being someone else and added NormS’s user name and password to the pile. NormS will be forever silenced as this kid is leaving the company for a new gig with a promising future. While NormS had a seemingly controversial existence, the real life story has a happy ending. See, the GE Forum really does bring people together. I’m grateful. Happy Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by NormS View Post
    I’m grateful.
    My head is spinning, I'm perplexed, you're Mark Pfefferman AND Grateful?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    My head is spinning, I'm perplexed, you're Mark Pfefferman AND Grateful?

Happy Thanksgiving.
    None of this makes any sense at all. But, whatevs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    None of this makes any sense at all. But, whatevs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy Thanksgiving all.
    Agreed. Merry Christmas to all. With Love, @RealJimBurket