Thread: Call JULIE before you...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar

Call JULIE before you...

... drive your giant construction tractor into a 14,400 volt, 3x size phone pole, smack in the middle of the Montclair lot and clearly visible, knocking out power for (days?) for a chunk of Glen Ellyn. Workers at the Main street grade crossing were doing work for the Union Pacific at around 10am Saturday the 10th, when the phone pole "just jumped right out of nowhere and into the back of my lift tractor" (maybe) said the guy who was driving it. "Who put that thing there? It's HUGE!" A supervisor (possibly maybe) mentioned "We have been working here for a several days now, and nobody on our crew knew these things were even here!"

Residents of the Park Avenue condominiums are all wondering when they might get their power back. A number of those residents are elderly and might need assistance while they are without power.
    Last edited by GESince1958; 06-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    And just in time for the summer heat settling in. That took a special kind of stupid.

Let's see how GEMan ties this into Trump in 5...4...3...

Quote Originally Posted by GESince1958 View Post
    ... drive your giant construction tractor into a 14,400 volt, 3x size phone pole, smack in the middle of the Montclair lot and clearly visible, knocking out power for (days?) for a chunk of Glen Ellyn. Workers at the Main street grade crossing were doing work for the Union Pacific at around 10am Saturday the 10th, when the phone pole "just jumped right out of nowhere and into the back of my lift tractor" (maybe said) the guy who was driving it. "Who put that thing there? It's HUGE!" A supervisor (possibly maybe mentioned) "We have been working here for a several days now, and nobody on our crew knew these things were even here!"

Residents of the Park Avenue condominiums are all wondering when they might get their power back. A number of those residents are elderly and might need assistance while they are without power.
    Sorry, I'm not seeing much humor in what you're doing here.

I visited this site now to see if if anyone had an explanation as to why my power was flickering off throughout the evening, and I think I found my answer. And it also explains the massive ComEd generator truck I saw driving on Park this afternoon. Thanks GESince1958!

Thanks for the info! Our power was also going off and on between 8-10pm last night. Called Com Ed....rep said no idea why. Finally turned off the a/c, worried that the every 10 minute outages would damage it, wondering if we needed to call an electrician. Geez......

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Update:

That's one of the largest ComEd generator trailers I've ever seen. On such a hot day, I'm happy that the A/C can give the residents some relief.

New pole in, old smashed pole out. I still contend the stupidest thing about this entire situation is that they (ComEd) keep replacing these things every time one goes down. Score: storms=2, crashes=2. Why not just redesign the parking lot/power poles so that they aren't in the freaking way of every vehicle driving in and out? If it costs (guessing) a hundred thousand+ bucks every time, plus lawsuits and other misc. damages, why keep replacing the poles with the same defective layout?

Last edited by GESince1958; 06-11-2017 at 10:45 PM.