Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump II

I hope you're not in the business of understanding the markets . . . you don't realize that this recovery started eight years ago? If you are, can I get a link to some account docs? Want to open up right away.

I'd also like to know what happened to the $45,000 that Don took out of my 401K last month. He made the markets go up, up, up. He certainly did something intentionally to make them go down. That's the way it works, right? Would like that $$$ back.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    I hope you're not in the business of understanding the markets . . . you don't realize that this recovery started eight years ago? If you are, can I get a link to some account docs? Want to open up right away.

I'd also like to know what happened to the $45,000 that Don took out of my 401K last month. He made the markets go up, up, up. He certainly did something intentionally to make them go down. That's the way it works, right? Would like that $$$ back.
    First off, I didn't see where Grateful mentioned the recession recovery.

Second, this $45,000 loss of yours seems to coincide with your decision to become a beta male left winger. So.......sounds like it's on you, buddy.

BTW, Don has used more dirty, commie Chinese steel in this great country than all of us at the GE Forum put together. All 12 of us.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Second, this $45,000 loss of yours seems to coincide with your decision to become a beta male left winger. So.......sounds like it's on you, buddy.
    I just want the money back. That he gave me. Why would he do anything to take away my profits? $45,000 may not be a lot to you, but I'd like him to do something to bring the markets back again. He made them go up, he must have made them go down. Very rude.

BTW, Don has used more dirty, commie Chinese steel in this great country than all of us at the GE Forum put together. All 12 of us.
    I just ( in the last 10 minutes) bought 3 truckloads of Chinese Steel... Why? Because we don't make it in the US anymore and the Spanish stuff was 20% more. Oh and it's for a US Government job

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I just ( in the last 10 minutes) bought 3 truckloads of Chinese Steel... Why? Because we don't make it in the US anymore and the Spanish stuff was 20% more. Oh and it's for a US Government job
    We need to root out the commie-loving engineer who spec'd that grade steel.

We need to root out the commie-loving engineer who spec'd that grade steel.

it is an "American Section" with an AISC specification

The AISC is headquartered in Democrat-controlled Chicago. It's all starting to make sense.

The AISC is headquartered in Democrat-controlled Chicago. It's all starting to make sense.

It was specified by an engineer in Mississippi... I'm pretty sure they sway fairly right

Honestly, most people (including specifying engineers) think all American steel sections are produced here. Many of the less used sections haven't been produced here for 30 or 40 years.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Post-tariff, you might be able to buy a size up locally and save a few bucks? Sounds like a good time to be a value-engineering consultant

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Post-tariff, you might be able to buy a size up locally and save a few bucks? Sounds like a good time to be a value-engineering consultant
    We make a lot value engineering projects post specification, there are literally no other choices... The sections still made in the US that would work weight 25% more (thicker web), even with the tariff tacked on the costs of switching to the other section would be huge. Don't get me wrong here... We're an American manufacturer this is an add on to what we make, we do very well as the only American manufacturer of our products. Nearly 60% of the specialty sections we work with are no longer made here and never will be made here. The tariffs are not going to make a difference in the vast majority of steel items no longer made here... The tariffs aren't going to hurt us for domestic sales, both of my European competitors make everything in China. Where it is going to hurt me is internationally, we do a lot of business with steel and aluminum and they're not going to be too keen on dealing with American companies... I'm hoping Trump drops a few more countries from the tariffs!

So many companies import cheap Chinese steel and then relabel it and sell to the US. At the least, this should help shut down or bring recognition to this process...

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    So many companies import cheap Chinese steel and then relabel it and sell to the US. At the least, this should help shut down or bring recognition to this process...
    I hope so! My competitors don't actually say their products are made here (or Europe), but they imply it. I tell eveyrone where it is really made. One of them threatend to sue me, so I pulled up one of their press releases from 4 years ago that showed they just built a faclity in China. That shut him up quick!

You can qualify for Buy American under the Trade Agreements Act of 1979 as long as the product comes from a country that we have a trade agreement with (my favorites are Montserrat & Kiribati) ... The Obama Administrations American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was a strict buy American act, but it only lasted a couple years. Since Trump has taken office, I've seen this one used a lot and I'm not complaining.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Me and my wife want to move away from the winter. To Greenville. South Carolina. Fairly sophisticated. Greenville RE pxs are roughly 75% of GE. Sell my house for $500K here, buy it there for $375K. Me and my wife will like the money that we retain, I agree with that.

Never lived in a large house other than a three year stint house sitting a place on the lake in Evanston for three years. Lived in four rooms, closed off twelve.

My realtor understands that I am looking for similar square footage as I have in Glen Ellyn (1,800-2,000). Can't imagine WTF I would do with a four or five bedroom, 4,000 sq. ft. house . . . . . . . . for me and my wife.
    Yes a smart move. House or Real-Estate Arbitrage.

After some fifty years you got tired of Chicago winters. Interesting.

You are only going to get 500,000 for your house in GE. Have home prices gone down that much in Glen Ellyn ?

Personally I think you are being to modest in your home search. 375000 will get you far more than a 2000 SQFT house in Greenville.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...45_rect/10_zm/

Three hundred and thirty nine thousand will get you a new house on a lake 3400 SQFT. Still leaving you an extra thirty five thousand.

Yes and your property taxes will be substantially lower as well.

Living in Trump country will be hard on you psychologically etc, but will do wonders for your bank account.

Ignore the fact that there's no real commerce to speak of - or economic engine to allow you to earn meaningful sums. But hey, houses are cheap and taxes are low....so that's good.

Hmmm, wonder why everything is so cheap......