Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Larsons extremely biased e-blast

To all you unbiased Trump and DeVos Storm troopers, as an educator, Larson has the qualifications and experience to inform all of us on the downsides of the voucher system. Some are upset at the "snake oil" reference. Please be reminded that the DeVos family riches originate from Amway Ponzi sales. One of America's greatest assets is our public school system. While there's always room for improvement, what happened in Michigan was not progress.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    How the **** did I miss all of this?
    Because you have a life outside the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
    To all you unbiased Trump and DeVos Storm troopers, as an educator, Larson has the qualifications and experience to inform all of us on the downsides of the voucher system. Some are upset at the "snake oil" reference. Please be reminded that the DeVos family riches originate from Amway Ponzi sales. One of America's greatest assets is our public school system. While there's always room for improvement, what happened in Michigan was not progress.
    This. I am an educator as well and DeVos scares me. I have family in Michigan and they (as well as my Michigan teacher friends) have said to never be a teacher there because the schools are disastrous. Illinois has enough problems without adding this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Because you have a life outside the internet?
    What's that??

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    American public schools routinely rank near the bottom in terms of educational achievement. Even though we spend the most. So whatever it is we're doing its not working very well is it.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-math-science/

The funny thing is that 4th and 8th graders do OK but by the time they are fifteen they fall farther behind . Losing to such world powers as Slovakia, Poland Portugal. So the more time they spend in American public schools the dumber American students get.

Oh, gosh, I agree that education in the US is often abysmal - that said, and I'm sorry I don't have the info myself, when comparisons are done, are the students accepted into XYZ versus ABC school systems apples to apples, either charter or across nations? For example, one issue I often have with charters or non-public schools in the US is the 'cherry picking'. How many students are simply not accepted, or counseled out, due to IEPs or any other challenges?

And, I went to Roman Catholic elementary and university levels in Chicago with four years in CPS, so I have experience in both public and private, but way, way back when. At that point, the idea of, let's say, a Downs syndrome student in the 'regular' student body was unheard of. Of course, our poor Franciscan sisters in grammar school had 50-60 kids in a class. Times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
    To all you unbiased Trump and DeVos Storm troopers, ....

Are we discussing the decades old school voucher program? Like the one that's been in Milwaukee since the early 1990's?

Just checking.

If so, why are the successes of Charlotte, Milwaukee, Washington, D.C. and New York City, not being used as a blueprint? Surely these solidly Democratic cities aren't supporting vouchers because they're Trump/DeVos Storm Troopers? Are they?

Former First Lady Michelle Obama visiting in support of a Washington DC voucher school....

“At Capital City, (Voucher School) every student is college material, and the goal is to get the very best education possible, and this should really be the model for every school in this country.

Michelle Obama
    Is Michelle also a Storm Trooper for Trump/DeVos?
    Last edited by jombl; 04-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Jombl, I wonder if those are the correct links? I clicked on a couple and am being led to info from 2011 and prior? Kind of aging there.....

Of Course the Obama's, Clintons and Emanuel's want nothing to do with the public school system for their kids. Smart people.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Jombl, I wonder if those are the correct links? I clicked on a couple and am being led to info from 2011 and prior? Kind of aging there.....
    Those are all from 2013 and before. If you're interested in a fresher take, here's this from less than a year ago:

Presidential Proclamation

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

Our Nation has always been guided by the belief that all young people should be free to dream as big and boldly as they want, and that with hard work and determination, they can turn their dreams into realities. Schools help us uphold this ideal by offering a place for children to grow, learn, and thrive. During National Charter Schools Week, we celebrate the role of high-quality public charter schools in helping to ensure students are prepared and able to seize their piece of the American dream, and we honor the dedicated professionals across America who make this calling their life's work by serving in charter schools.

Charter schools play an important role in our country's education system. Supporting some of our Nation's underserved communities, they can ignite imagination and nourish the minds of America's young people while finding new ways of educating them and equipping them with the knowledge they need to succeed. With the flexibility to develop new methods for educating our youth, and to develop remedies that could help underperforming schools, these innovative and autonomous public schools often offer lessons that can be applied in other institutions of learning across our country, including in traditional public schools. We also must ensure our charter schools, like all our schools, are of high quality and are held accountable -- when a charter school does not meet high standards, we need to act in the best interest of its students to help it improve, and if that does not prove possible, to close its doors.

Charter schools have been at the forefront of innovation and have found different ways of engaging students in their high school years -- including by providing personalized instruction, leveraging technology, and giving students greater access to rigorous coursework and college-level courses. Over the past 7 years, my Administration's commitment of resources to the growth of charter schools has enabled a significant expansion of educational opportunity, enabling tens of thousands of children to attend high-quality public charter schools. I am committed to ensuring all of our Nation's students have the tools and skills they need to get ahead, and that begins with ensuring they are able to attend an effective school and obtain an excellent education.

Educating every American student and ensuring they graduate from high school prepared for college and beyond is a national priority. This week, we honor the educators working in public charter schools across our Nation who, each day, give of themselves to provide children a fair shot at the American dream, and we recommit to the basic promise that all our daughters and sons -- regardless of background or circumstance -- should be able to make of their lives what they will.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 1 through May 7, 2016, as National Charter Schools Week. I commend our Nation's charter schools, teachers, and administrators, and I call on States and communities to support high-quality public schools, including charter schools, and the students they serve.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.

BARACK OBAMA
    Good enough for you? I'll stand with my former President Barack Obama on this one. Will you?
    Last edited by jombl; 04-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Ok, thanks - the first one I clicked on led me to a citation from the 90's, which is where I got confused. My reservations regarding some charter schools do still remain, vis a vis comparing apples to apples.

And, of course, both charter, private and public schools should educate all children to their full potential.

Larsons extremely biased e-blast

The question isn't whether or not they're good, it's whether or not they're held accountable for the education they provide. If the standards between the public, private, and charter are different but yet they are compared to each other we are comparing apples, oranges, and broccoli.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Yes, GEman, it didn't escape notice that Ladesic belongs to a religion you hate.
    Hilarity from unabashed, noted Catholic, Stephen Colbert.

Stephen Colbert’s TED talk parody with Jesus is almost too real

Head to about 3:06 for the bit to start.
    --

"I need to get a drink of water . . . . . . or is it?"