Thread: New Vision /(eyeglass) doctor

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar

Question New Vision /(eyeglass) doctor

I finally have "vision" insurance again. I quote that because after I read all the fine print of benefits, it may be like my old policy in which after i went to the doctor, it literally cost me $300-$500.00 afterwards (no glasses) because of deductibles and tests. So I'm going to go over the policy again with the insurance to see what is and is not covered. Does anyone know of a reasonable priced place to use. One that is I do get a bill is wont run over $200 perhaps? May not go back to my usual office.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupechennel View Post
    I finally have "vision" insurance again. I quote that because after I read all the fine print of benefits, it may be like my old policy in which after i went to the doctor, it literally cost me $300-$500.00 afterwards (no glasses) because of deductibles and tests. So I'm going to go over the policy again with the insurance to see what is and is not covered. Does anyone know of a reasonable priced place to use. One that is I do get a bill is wont run over $200 perhaps? May not go back to my usual office.
    Are you looking for ophthalmologist, optometrist, or optician? Any health or vision issues you're currently aware of? Specialized contacts or multi vision glasses? Myself I don't bother with the vision insurance from my employer because I need more than single vision glasses etc. and that insurance is extremely limited. your mileage may vary. Good luck though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always liked Dr. John Bartlett at Glen Ellyn Family eye care on Main. I always had insurance when I used him, but since he grew up in GE, he may be willing to work with you!

630-858-3937
    Last edited by DTM; 04-18-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lupechennel View Post
    Really pleased with Dr. James Kelly and team at DuPage Family EyeCare on Taft. http://www.dupagefamilyeyecare.com/

+1 on Doctor Kelly. I really like him a lot.

We have vision insurance for the first time in years in 2017. Can't wait for my $5 exam in June LOL.

One of us went right before the insurance took effect and for a regular exam (no glasses, etc), it was $136.00. I think that included the "puff of air in the eye" test, but not the dilation test. I don't remember what these things test for :-)

Puff of air is generally glaucoma; dilation checks for a lot of things, including macular degeneratin, retina issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, quite a few other things etc. (sometimes the eye docs will catch medical issues before the 'regular' docs, depending on how often the patient visits each doctor). It's really dependent in many respects on the patient's age, general medical issues, first time patient or not (if they need a baseline), all that good stuff. I would be wary of any practice that promises one price fits all before they even see you. It's like glasses - single vision lenses can be relatively cheap - but if you require additional options, the price, rightfully IMO, goes up.

Depending on other medical issues, an eye exam can be rolled into the medical insurance - e.g., i have diabetes, so several of the tests, including field vision, were rolled over to medical insurance.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    yeah - just regular eye exam looking to check for vision prescription if any and other tests too. Finally have vision insurance but I feel that I'm sure this stuff wont be covered as Ive had insurance before and it barely paid the bill. Hence, didn't know if my doctor was just really really expensive.