Thread: 5 corner's gas station opposition group

Jombl:

I'll bet the Village doesn't lose.

GE Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Jombl:

I'll bet the Village doesn't lose.

GE Fan

If True North backs out under any one of a dozen plausible scenarios, including a liquor licence denial such as they had in Naperville, the Village won't lose.

If they stretch this out across President McGinley's new term, I think the courts will strike them down. The Lisle case over the Mejier special use permit wasn't even close at trial or on appeal and in that case Mejier provided counsel.

If Lisle can't push through a much more popular special use permit for a superstore generating millions in tax revenue using top of the line outside counsel, how do you possibly see Glen Ellyn winning here with taxpayer funded counsel when there is no political support?

The underlying facts here are the same, the case law looks clear and the political headwind is clearly against the Gas Station Five. Why should taxpayers waste precious tax dollars on a case that has been decided before and which the community opposes?

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    If True North backs out under any one of a dozen plausible scenarios, including a liquor licence denial such as they had in Naperville, the Village won't lose.

If they stretch this out across President McGinley's new term, I think the courts will strike them down. The Lisle case over the Mejier special use permit wasn't even close at trial or on appeal and in that case Mejier provided counsel.

If Lisle can't push through a much more popular special use permit for a superstore generating millions in tax revenue using top of the line outside counsel, how do you possibly see Glen Ellyn winning here with taxpayer funded counsel when there is no political support?

The underlying facts here are the same, the case law looks clear and the political headwind is clearly against the Gas Station Five. Why should taxpayers waste precious tax dollars on a case that has been decided before and which the community opposes?
    You honestly think the DuPage courts will rule against a Village Board of established DuPage Republican supporters? And do you think that our in-house counsel, who is more than capable in the areas of municipal law, would have allowed the Board to botch the hearings? I think "no" on both accounts.

To answer your last question practically, - if the Board really cared about what the "community opposes" or supports (your words), they wouldn't have voted 5-0. What makes you think they will suddenly change their opinion when faced with an actual lawsuit instead of a threatened one?

Yes, taxpayer money may be wasted in defending this - but it will not be as much of a waste as the neighbors (unless that attorney who spoke who lives on Meredith put his pro bono weight behind it) - as I think they lose.

You honestly think the DuPage courts will rule against a Village Board of established DuPage Republican supporters?
    If I thought that, I genuinely would not be here... in this nation. I'd leave in a heartbeat.

And do you think that our in-house counsel, who is more than capable in the areas of municipal law, would have allowed the Board to botch the hearings?
    Agreed, very respected and professional counsel with lots of experience. Never heard a negative thing about him, all positive.

Just the same, cross examination was denied to adjoining property holders during the board meeting regarding the special use permit just as reams of new documents and numerous new expert testimony was added to the unsworn record.

To answer your last question practically, - if the Board really cared about what the "community opposes" or supports (your words), they wouldn't have voted 5-0. What makes you think they will suddenly change their opinion when faced with an actual lawsuit instead of a threatened one?
    Nothing. And there lies the tragedy, our problem and our future.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.

surprised no one has said, "Vociferous Minority" yet....

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    If I thought that, I genuinely would not be here... in this nation. I'd leave in a heartbeat.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news..................

Maybe I've been in Illinois too long................