Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 corner's gas station opposition group

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I would argue if you're going to post on a public forum vs. private message, that it is anyone's business.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Hope you had gloves on, for germs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Martinez View Post
    66,000 Sq. feet of concrete and they can't find a place to put a parking spot?
    And a variance is issued????
    What is wrong with this picture? CUT ONE of the 12 pumps and put a parking spot there!
    Did the PC approve the zoning requests? Cannot find a story in the paper. Anyone who was there wish to report? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    While I do not agree with Ackerman's tactics, I think his question is very valid. I was biking past during a pick up and I did not see one car turned off while waiting. I am only bringing this up because as I was biking past, I remembered his question in this thread. So I took another lap around the school and confirmed that every car that was waiting was running. I do not have a horse in this race, but I would like to hear the answer to his question. Maybe the school should put a memo out to parents telling them to turn their cars off while waiting?

An easy response to that question is to simply point out that what you see is a constant - it will be assumed by many to exist at all schools like it, certainly in the area. While what is proposed is a variable, and in point of fact, largely does not exist. Adding to the problem does not cancel out the issue, it doubles the concern and brings it to the forefront requiring consideration.

If someone would like to prepare a small pamphlet explaining to young parents and potential homeowners why the gas station that they are afraid of next to Forest Glen is just overblown hysteria on their part, feel free. Perhaps it will calm them and allow them to see past the gas station and four liquor stores to realize that they really do want their precious child in that environment at Forest Glen.

I realize that the gas station isn't going to be as upsetting to some as juicy fruit stripes on a single fenced side of a house - but still, many of these crazy young parents are too stupid to realize their fears are misplaced and Forest Glen will quickly join our short, but real, list of NoGo schools. There are buyers out there less progressive and with fewer environmental concerns who like a deal and easy access to cheap beer, they just haven't yet been the prime market for Forest Glen.

With the coming entry onto the market of low income rentals closest to that intersection we should see the beginnings of the demographic turnover in the nearer term. It's probably not a wise investment right now to choose Forest Glen over Ben Franklin if you have the means to make the choice.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

With the coming entry onto the market of low income rentals closest to that intersection we should see the beginnings of the demographic turnover in the nearer term. It's probably not a wise investment right now to choose Forest Glen over Ben Franklin if you have the means to make the choice.
    God forbid more low income people move to Glen Ellyn...
    Last edited by Perplexed; 04-14-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Switched to Sarcasm Font

God forbid more low income people move to Glen Ellyn...

Will you be volunteering to price your home and neighborhood at a discount anytime soon?

I'm not opposed to affordable housing, and I wasn't one of those who went crazy and reached for every government lever over some fruit stripes on siding.

This is different, it's government using our own land to self inflict significant financial harm on a neighborhood and measurable reputational and marketability harm on wide area.

There's need for this and its byproduct of more affordable housing is not a goal, it's collateral damage drawn from the savings of people who already occupy some of the most affordable housing. Cheap stuff getting cheaper still, and that's not a positive.

Sarcasm is fun, but this will hurt people, just not those with the wealth and resources to shut down fruit colored painting.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Will you be volunteering to price your home and neighborhood at a discount anytime soon?
    I already live in a neighborhood that has seen the addition of a Walgreens and a Shell Station. Heck, we also have affordable housing a couple blocks away and a school with parents who sit with their cars idling. Ironically, our home values haven't dropped, we don't have any vape shops or high turnover cheap rentals, our kids play in the front yard, and crime hasn't increased.

We didn't go all NIMBY on the Village because there was no reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What strikes me is that we have had a number of smaller stations on that corner already so what makes True North think that anything this large will succeed? And the juxtaposition with Stacy's Corners further kills the historic significance of that corner.

We didn't go all NIMBY on the Village because there was no reason.
    The 5 Corner's gas station is regressive development in which the Village will take a $100,000 loss on the property we own. It will further cause great harm to the neighborhood because it will, unlike on Roosevelt rd, directly adjoin and abut single family homes - something which isn't even a possibility in most places. It will also sell liquor, something again which is impossible in most places - as True North knows because they were recently denied the possibility of a liquor license in Naperville due to a similar location but more progressive rules.

The stellar urban planning of the fine YMCA district aside, this unique proposal is a step back and transformational. It is not an error from the last century, it's a new one, and exceptionally unusual because it will be self-inflicted using our own property sold at a loss.

Selective responsible development is not a bad thing. Harming these people out of spite, indifference or to make a point about toughness doesn't move the Village, its families or children forward one inch.

There's nothing good about this and the only debate is how deep and wide the harm will radiate out.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.

http://http://m.mysuburbanlife.com/2010/09/29/trustees-plan-to-purchase-and-beautify-vacant-5-corners-site/zethxhu/

"The Village Board unanimously approved buying a vacant property in the five-corners area Monday as part of a plan to beautify and redevelop Glen Ellyn’s northern gateway."

"That abandoned Marathon station is an eyesore, and it’s right on an important gateway of our community,” Henninger said after Monday’s Village Board meeting. “Having grown up in that neighborhood, I’m so anxious for us to move forward with beautifying it.”

What happened to this? Clearly the intention was to beautify our gateway.
    Last edited by Bitter Boy; 04-14-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Boy View Post
    http://http://m.mysuburbanlife.com/2010/09/29/trustees-plan-to-purchase-and-beautify-vacant-5-corners-site/zethxhu/

"The Village Board unanimously approved buying a vacant property in the five-corners area Monday as part of a plan to beautify and redevelop Glen Ellyn’s northern gateway."

"That abandoned Marathon station is an eyesore, and it’s right on an important gateway of our community,” Henninger said after Monday’s Village Board meeting. “Having grown up in that neighborhood, I’m so anxious for us to move forward with beautifying it.”

What happened to this? Clearly the intention was to beautify our gateway.

We clearly set the bar for beauty too low.

definitely in keeping with the spirit of History Park nearby.

As many already know the Village Board meeting last night went past 1am. I don't know when it finally ended. The overflow audience of hundreds was separated into three rooms, including the gym. CBS was on hand, as were multiple print outlets.

Why the meeting itself wasn't held in the gym as long past large meetings had been is anyone's guess. Just reporting here; many were upset and felt this was intentionally done in order to dilute the opposition, many also felt that the meeting was dragged on by unnecessarily leading and almost absurdly softball questions to True North that transparently shilled the gas station and sought to sell the project simply in order to break off public speakers who needed to relieve babysitters.

To say there was no trust or faith in our shared village government would be a gross understatement.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-25-2017 at 06:55 AM.

So what happened? I stopped watching at 11pm.

Compliments to the "Vote No" group. They were polite, well informed and respectful.

By the time I switched it off, I was certainly in the "Vote No" camp. Previously, I was quite ambivalent.

Timely reporting....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...425-story.html

"There just isn't a case that can be made for this gas station — not based on need, not based on economic impact and not in the face of the overwhelming negatives," neighbor David Hartsell told trustees. "This has to be the biggest bait-and-switch in the history of Glen Ellyn.

"Seven years ago you told us that you wanted to spend our money, our taxpayer money, to buy this property and clean it up and get rid of that dilapidated gas station so that we could control the development here and execute on that development consistent with our comprehensive plan. And what have you brought us? Another gas station, three times the size."

YET

"After a nearly seven-hour Glen Ellyn Village Board meeting, trustees early Tuesday voted 5-0 to approve variations that will pave the way for a controversial gas station and convenience store in the village's Five Corners business district."