Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tap house/Wooden Barrel building

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    Hoping for the best, mentally preparing for the worst.
    I wish I had come up with this line.

"McMae's on Main opening Fall 2017"

There's a McMae's Tavern and Grill in Bartlett. Could be related. The menu there looks very much like the old TapHouse. Going to be alot of new restaurant competition in GE in the next 6 months.

Same place as the one in Bartlett. We are burger and beer central.

bring back the mug club!

Looks like McMae's on Main opened on Wed night. Several pictures on their new Facebook page.

25507652_562945470715770_2357443403977844699_n.jpg

McMeh

(Postscript: One TV monitor? That will draw them in.)
    Last edited by Cliché; 12-22-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    You called this one. Wife and I went there last night. While the interior is renovated, it has no decor. The server was nice and attentive, checking back several times. I ordered the ribs, which were pretty poor. The beer menu is pretty much what you would find at every other bar in Glen Ellyn. It would be nice if one bar around here would feature Delerium Tremens, Duvel or Tripel Karmeliet. It was kind of dead when we arrived at 6:00, but did pick up later. While our experience wasn’t awful, there is nothing there that would bring me back anytime soon.

A friend of mine went to Burger Social in Wheaton and gave them a good recommendation. I’m going to try and check them out next week.

Merry Christmas all.

Still waiting on Clam's review. Suburban Life sent a secret diner and rated it, "McMae's on Main is fine addition to Glen Ellyn's growing restaurant scene."

I have not been. I am one degree of separation from one of the owners, but, frankly, I have hated that room since it was a gift shop. Don't see it in my rotation any time soon.

I'm no Clamato but I've been to McMae's a few times now. Overall, i think it serves a purpose in the GEBD. It is family friendly with food that equates to what you'd find at Ellyn's/Shannons. The overall decor is plain but clean. The service is above average. The true measuring stick will be to see how it stacks up with a place like Nobel House (when that happens). I'd rate is a 3.5 out of 5 stars with potential. Ownership seems engaged and setup for success.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGE View Post
    I'm no Clamato but I've been to McMae's a few times now. Overall, i think it serves a purpose in the GEBD. It is family friendly with food that equates to what you'd find at Ellyn's/Shannons. The overall decor is plain but clean. The service is above average. The true measuring stick will be to see how it stacks up with a place like Nobel House (when that happens). I'd rate is a 3.5 out of 5 stars with potential. Ownership seems engaged and setup for success.
    You're generous. Shannon's is superior IMO. Went once, no intention of going back.

they still only have one tv in each room?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGE View Post
    The overall decor is plain but clean.
    Sterile or stark are the words I would use. White walls (with no photos, paintings, or decoration of any kind), dark wood chair-rails and wainscot (I think untouched from the Tap House, or maybe even the Firkin' Era), light taupe? (sorry, I'm color challenged) wood or, more likely, faux wood flooring. And that's about it. The middle room has two TVs. Front area still just the one. Didn't venture to look in the back area because the place was d-e-a-d. And this was during the NCAA national championship game.

Server was attentive (but with only a handful customers that was no shock). We were told that the kitchen was going to close soon so we had to get food orders in. This had to be at about 9:00. During the first half of the game. Whuh???

We asked the guy who suggested us meeting there why he did so and his words were "I can always get a seat".

I'm not sure I see how this place will last too long. Makes me a little sad to see folks loose money.

P.S. There is still a stale beer smell lingering in the middle room. That's like three renovations now and I can still smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    There is still a stale beer smell lingering in the middle room. That's like three renovations now and I can still smell it.
    Maybe you should stop spilling your Miller Lite on the floor then.......

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    P.S. There is still a stale beer smell lingering in the middle room. That's like three renovations now and I can still smell it.
    I suspect you're being generous. That space has smelled like a plumbing stack since the Apple-tini cocktail place pre-Firkin.