Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Shell Station Five Corners

I've never seen such a broad turnout before. That was definitely a "not in my town" opposition that went far beyond the not-in-my-backyard of the people whose homes and neighborhood are most directly condemned.

The speakers, and they were all 100% opposed, were from every neighborhood in Glen Ellyn. Every neighborhood from COD to the lake, in between and beyond. There were life long residents from long established families speaking before the board for the first time in their lives all the way across the spectrum to new arrivals.

The board, playing away on their laptops or staring vacantly, appeared to listen to none of them and engaged no one. One speaker spoke accurately and eloquently of True North's near dozen (she was cut off for time and I lost count) documented ongoing environmental leaks and spills currently under investigation in Illinois alone.

What did the Trustees hear? Nothing really. Perhaps three random points were plucked from the air, mischaracterized and then burned in effigy to rebut the totality of the community concern and opposition. The "deliberation" was short, had no debate and was made up of brief little sales pitches played out as leading questions to True North, Village lawyer and staff. A jury hearing a DUI filmed on video would have found more to discuss.

One Trustee asked incredulously of True North if it was correct that their gas stations had 40 gallons of gas spilled a day. The board and True North then began to have a good chuckle at the preposterousness of the opposition to say such a thing. This lead to several shouts from the audience because no one had said that.

It was not a good day for representative democracy. There was a fundamental disconnect last night between those few and the community.

In the end Senak made a motion to seek a proper application with more complete information, tabling the current motion. There was no second and the remainder of the Trustees immediately approved the exception to zoning that granted the special use permit for a 24/7 liquor store/gas station. Kenwood was not present.
    Last edited by jombl; 03-14-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Senak was the only one with any integrity or conscience. The rest of them don't have a soul.

I don't think I've ever been more disgusted by my elected representatives. And that says a lot coming from this political cesspool that is Illinois.

Would be nice if trustees who may or may not frequent this board would jump on here and explain their vote a la D41 leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Would be nice if trustees who may or may not frequent this board would jump on here and explain their vote a la D41 leaders.
    +1, GE Fan...!

Sounds like we need to print up some "No to Gas" signs. But with the 18 signs in my front yard now, it may get lost in the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyLafleur View Post
    Sounds like we need to print up some "No to Gas" signs. But with the 18 signs in my front yard now, it may get lost in the fray.
    I needed one of those for the lady next to me on the plane today...

And we get crickets. Guess it's do as I say, not as I do.

Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    And we get crickets. Guess it's do as I say, not as I do.

Disappointing.
    To be fair, the person that I think you're looking for, along with a couple of others, are on a week long hiatus from the Forum. Vacationing on a warm beach somewhere in Cyberland, USA.

Wasn't posted to anyone specifically (as I thought that 2/3 posted on here - could be wrong). Either way, I'll take your comment to heart and won't post crickets until late next week.

That said, I have a hard time believing that no trustee is checking this site after that vote.

Controversial gas station project clears hurdle in Glen Ellyn (link) — Daily Herald

Kind of a s**tty headline, I think they could have constructed a better headline IMHO..."Glen Ellyn residents shell-shocked by board decision"

"Glen Ellyn trustees have awarded a key village permit to developers of a proposed gas station but have yet to give final approval to a project that faces strong opposition from neighbors.

True North Energy wants to build the gas station and 4,200-square-foot convenience store that would operate around-the-clock at the southeast corner of Main Street and St. Charles Road. The company has entered into a contract to buy the long-vacant, village-owned land for $630,000. Developers have redesigned the station in response to complaints the building..."

New anti-gas station group on FB.....

Crickets.

I really was hoping to hear a tune from 12 Pump Pete and the 24 hour vape shoppers.

Last edited by GEman; 03-24-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: YouTube link

TrueNorth is the company that wants to build a gas station at 5 corners. This is what happened at their stations in the past year. It also shows what their employees have to say about crime and safety.

The village board had no crime study done ...

Last edited by GEman; 03-24-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: YouTube link

Let the record show - the Village Board of Glen Ellyn, IL does not represent the best interest of the people...

Last edited by GEman; 03-24-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: You Tube link