Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roskam

Roskam

Our own little 6th District Lhasa Apso, Pete Roskam, has been catching a lot of **** lately about avoidance, disappearance, and cancellationance. One of his constituents penned a letter to him that was picked up by HP. Here it is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lynn-l...14576724.html?

Funny, I read these yesterday...

Excerpts, very long article...

Rep. Roskam's office cancels ACA meeting when reporter shows up (link) — Aurora Beacon-News
    "A Group of 16 constituents that arranged to meet with staff members at the West Chicago district office of U.S. Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Wheaton) Wednesday about their concerns with a repeal of the Affordable Care Act were abruptly told they would have to reschedule after staff realized a member of the press was present.

On Thursday, Roskam said they would reschedule the meeting without the reporter. "I am stunned at what happened," Alexander said.

Alexander, of Glen Ellyn, said she arranged to meet with Roskam's district director Lee Campuzano and outreach coordinator Eddie Corrigan. Corrigan told The Beacon-News reporter before the group had arrived that the press is not allowed in private meetings with constituents. "It is a meeting with constituents — we are not shutting down the press," Corrigan said. Corrigan said the meeting was planned between constituents and high level staff.

"I am flabbergasted that Peter Roskam and his staff would turn us away," Alexander said as they gathered in the lobby Wednesday. "They didn't have the courtesy to listen to us. We are a peaceful group."

"I told him nobody communicated to me that the media could not come. I also told him that the press was willing to leave. This is Freedom of the Press — the media has a right to be here and we have the right to talk with the media. I really don't understand what happened here today. Shame on Peter Roskam. It is very sad that this is how he feels about his constituents," Alexander said.

Sandra Alexander said she scheduled the meeting weeks ago and was stunned that they were turned away. "We are going to be respectful and see if they will change their minds," Alexander said.

After several minutes, no one returned to speak with the group. The constituents decided to hold the meeting in the lobby without the presence of Roskam's staff.

Groups ask Roskam to speak on ACA, immigration (link) — Elgin Courier-News (Chicago Tribune)
    "Local branches of the League of Women Voters are asking U.S. Rep. Peter Roskam to meet with constituents to address issues such as the Affordable Care Act and an executive order on immigration.

Michelle Peterson, a board member with the Glen Ellyn League of Women Voters, said Roskam and his office had neither accepted nor rejected the invitation as of Thursday afternoon, but wanted more details on the meeting. A spokesman for Roskam said they will review the request. "We're hoping that because there's just such an interest, this time he will (join us)," said Peterson, who hopes he can speak on the ACA and immigration.

According to the letter, the group has received requests from groups in the 6th Congressional District to invite the Wheaton Republican to an event to "speak to the issues and listen to the concerns of your constituents." The meeting is tentatively scheduled for 7 p.m. Feb. 23 in Glen Ellyn because Congress is not in session that week. The group is flexible in the dates, as the invitation also said Feb. 21 and 22 would work. The group will conduct the meeting regardless of his attendance.

An unrelated group is planning to meet outside a Saturday morning Palatine Township Republican Organization meeting that Roskam is scheduled to attend. The group has decided to organize the event after failed attempts to get Roskam to meet them face to face, said Carolynne Funk, of Lake Zurich, a member of the group Action 6th District organizing the protest.

I first voted for the dude in 79' and went to his very first fundraisers, at one time I thought he actually cared about us... The last few years, not so much.

"He just ran off," she told the Beacon-News. "They never told me that the media could not be here, and the reporter was willing to leave so that we could have our meeting."

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    "He just ran off," she told the Beacon-News. "They never told me that the media could not be here, and the reporter was willing to leave so that we could have our meeting."
    I edited that out so it wouldn't be misread in my excerpts..."he" is not Roskam, but the staff member, the way I read it...although it could be poor writing and editing too. So in fairness, here is the context:

"Alexander told the staff member that the reporter did not have to come into the meeting. The staffer walked away, and no one returned to provide any other explanation. He just ran off," she told the Beacon-News. "They never told me that the media could not be here, and the reporter was willing to leave so that we could have our meeting.

Sorry, but he has a history of running off. You can understand my confusion. Seems like he is simply terrified of a lot. Wonder how he was an attorney?

This was a highlight of the campaign season:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...f-cd874d33a3af

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Funny, I read these yesterday...
    It's a setup. The ambush with the reporter was amateur at best. Money is moving quickly on the left to organize a "grass roots" effort using the tea party as a model.

The difference here is that these people do not appear to be in any way, and some are clearly not (Ms. Allaway in particular), members of the congressman's political side of the room.

This being an overall moderate district, Roskam may be under enormous pressure over the Trump summer if Democrats here fully commit to this strategy. The press will love it, especially if they can get those pics/articles with screaming constituents. Whether it's effective or not will depend on if it can move beyond the political operatives and their coordinated campaign to spark the kindling that might be out there.

I've never voted for Trump, so I'll be sensitive to it - but right now, it's just an obvious Democratic ploy with a false ring to it.
    Last edited by jombl; 02-03-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Sorry, but he has a history of running off. You can understand my confusion. Seems like he is simply terrified of a lot. Wonder how he was an attorney?

This was a highlight of the campaign season:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...f-cd874d33a3af
    He was a garbage lawyer, a garbage state rep and is a garbage congressman.

He hasn't done anything for this area. The sooner he's gone from office the better.

He may be a nice guy though....

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    It's a setup. The ambush with the reporter was amateur at best. Money is moving quickly on the left to organize a "grass roots" effort using the tea party as a model.

The difference here is that these people do not appear to be in any way, and some are clearly not (Ms. Allaway in particular), members of the congressman's political side of the room.

This being an overall moderate district, Roskam will be under enormous pressure over the Trump summer if Democrats here fully commit to this strategy. The press will love it, especially if they can get those pics/articles with screaming constituents. Whether it's effective or not will depend on if it can move beyond the political operatives and their coordinated campaign to spark the kindling that might be out there.

I've never voted for Trump, so I'll be sensitive to it - but right now, it's just an obvious Democratic ploy with a false ring to it.
    I'm not a Democrat or the press... He's never answered my letters, emails or calls... Finally, I stopped voting for him. I might struggle if he ran against Mike Madigan or Mel Reynolds, but since neither live in his district, I guess his opponent has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

This being an overall moderate district, Roskam will be under enormous pressure over the Trump summer if Democrats here fully commit to this strategy. The press will love it, especially if they can get those pics/articles with screaming constituents. Whether it's effective or not will depend on if it can move beyond the political operatives and their coordinated campaign to spark the kindling that might be out there.

I was about to make a similar comment about this obvious ambush. The Winfield Committeewoman is a D and should know better about how to get Roskam's staff's attention. These people didn't just want answers, they wanted to embarrass Roskam.

For the record, I supported Jay Kinzler, but I've got a lot worse representation than Peter Roskam. Let's start with my 2 US Senators, Durbin and Duckworth. She just gets elected and can't wait to boycott committee hearings. What kind of representation is that? I wonder if any of these 16 tried to talk to either of them. Doubt it.

And my state rep, Deborah Conroy? Just an appendage of Mike Madigan. I can't even get her to answer or return a call.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    The sooner he's gone ...

I'm not defending him, just viewing it.

Remember, as I have pointed out before, that he's in a virtually impregnable Republican district drawn by the Democratic party to make it so. Roskam will be very hard to beat, or he'll be dust. I don't think there's much play in the middle. If he does blow it, I think it's more likely (Trump dependent) that he'll be replaced from his right.

Long odds on change, I'd bet status quo on this one.

Our own little 6th District Lhasa Apso, Pete Roskam, has been catching a lot of **** lately about avoidance, disappearance, and cancellationance. One of his constituents penned a letter to him that was picked up by HP. Here it is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lynn-l...14576724.html?
    For the record, the writer, who does live in D 41, is a D. Looking at her twitter, it seems that she hasn't quite accepted November's election results. Retweets Elizabeth Warren posts.
    Last edited by ackerman; 02-04-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I first voted for the dude in 79' and went to his very first fundraisers,
    The guy was born in 1961. In what election did you vote for him? Student body president

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    The guy was born in 1961. In what election did you vote for him? Student body president
    More or less...

Roskam.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ackerman View Post
    For the record, the writer, who does live in D 41, is a D. Looking at her twitter, it seems that she hasn't quite accepted November's election results. Retweet's Elizabeth Warren posts.
    What's your point? Are you saying Roskam should only respond to those who voted for him?