Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois in decline

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class

Illinois in decline

Illinois has now lost population for the three years in a row I believe that only West Virginia has suffered the same fate. And Illinois is number #1 in people leaving . Illinois population is now where it's at almost a decade ago. Not only are people leaving but its high income people who are leaving being replace by lower income people.

Illinois population has declined but its debt has mushroomed. So per capita debt has increased dramatically and that may not tell the whole story has pension and retired health care obligations are probably understated. Expect higher and higher taxes for those of you who are stuck living in that declining mess of a broke, bankrupt dying state. Watch as your taxes go up, your home values decline.

Enjoy living in Illinois .

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...21-column.html

Hey, Michael - happy holidays! Remind me, where did you end up moving?

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    Hey, Michael - happy holidays! Remind me, where did you end up moving?
    North Carolina. Great here . Ocean, mountains my house is newer, bigger, cheaper. Taxes are lower. We're growing while Illinois is shrinking, dying.

I hear that water rates have gone up again. Glen Ellyn had another huge tax increase. And that Metra is jacking up the fares ( again ) the slow stead drip of your money leaving your pocket continues. Just stay there though someone has to make sure the union hacks and the politicians get their six figure pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    North Carolina.
    Don't get me started...

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Schumacher View Post
    Don't get me started...

A lot of people from Chicago in this area.

Brother moved to South Carolina years ago should see where he lives in . Similar place in Glen Ellyn I guess would cost you 700K and he'd be paying 15K in Property Taxes alone.

But the Politicians and Teacher unions and Administrators I'm sure are thankful for your continued contributions to their retirement.

Are you raising school age children and sending them to the local public schools in NC or SC ?
    Last edited by GEman; 12-24-2016 at 01:01 PM.

If I remember right, Michael hung in here til his kids got out of high school and then moved. My memory could be playing tricks, though.

Thanks for thinking of us, though, Michael!

If I remember right, Michael hung in here til his kids got out of high school and then moved. My memory could be playing tricks, though.

Thanks for thinking of us, though, Michael!
    Good memory. Hung around till kids were done with school then left.

Don't think to much about GE or Illinois except when I need to be reminded of why I left. But the stories about Illinois being #1 in out migration for the 3rd year in a row did get me to thinking about Illinois. Nice to see I'm not the only one who has decided to leave Illinois. What is it over 100,000 a year leave now.

Good luck with dealing with the increasing levels of debt, your dysfunctional, corrupt state government. Your violence. Good luck with that. Always good to get reminders of why I left.

Glad we were able to give your kids the education you, at the time, thought was good - assuming that's why you didn't pack up earlier and move to the Carolinas.

Hope they're doing well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Don't think to much about GE or Illinois except when I need to be reminded of why I left.
    ....yet comes to a Glen Ellyn community message board on Christmas Eve to tell everyone in Glen Ellyn that he doesn't think about Glen Ellyn or care about it. Sure.....

Enjoy North Carolina.

Forum Regular
    I appreciate Michael's comments. As we sit here on Christmas, counting our blessings, I am glad there are others who continue to communicate publicly, and hopefully privately too, how ridiculous the Illinois political and pension situation and has become.

Glen Ellyn is firmly implanted in the Blue State status, overwhelmingly voting for Hillary & Duckworth. If Madigan had been on our ballot He probably would have won Glen Ellyn. Not so in Wheaton, where Trump and Kirk won along with Roskam. Chicago Blue Democrats keep heading west!

Meanwhile, while preparing the budget for 2017 and beyond, indeed We are paying 65% more in property and state income taxes than 2007. Insurance up 40%, thanks in part to the ambulance chasers and easy money settlements that public managers dole out.

And the college payments are simply unbelievable, especially to Champaign. Yet, the kids write with sixth grade grammatical errors (granted, they appear to be exceptional texters!).

It is time to execute claw backs on egregious public "servants" like Breuder, along with double & triple dipping education, political, and public service pensioners who have incomes exceeding $150k (less maybe?). Trump and Rauner are onto something and I am solidly in their camp.

As for North Carolina, a state that is losing convention business from teachers unions and others, I have already planned our extended family reunion for Nags Head, NC next July. I hope more people that support protecting our daughters, and basic morality, (like using the gender correct bathrooms based on your birth certificate), will travel to the state to show their support.

Michael, keep thumping!

Illinois has been growing older, poorer and smaller while at the same time it's debt level has exploded. I don't see any of these trends changing for the better . They may actually accelerate.

For thirty years now Illinois politicians have made a series of decisions whose sole purpose was to keep them in office. So you had pensions that were constitutionally protected, but weren't funded. You had COLA increases, but pensions that weren't taxed. You had increasing debt but a flat tax. At local level we had school districts give generous pay and benefit increases which has led to Illinois having either the nations first or second highest property taxes. You're also home to the nations highest sales taxes. Yet none of that has made a difference . The more money you, the taxpayers of Illinois give the state the more it wants.

It doesn't matter who is in office Illinois is in such a deep financial mess no one will be able to fix it. You will just higher taxes, lower growth continued out migration .

Surprised that GE went for Duckworth. So even GE is going blue. Why not that has worked so well for the rest of the state.

Glad we were able to give your kids the education you, at the time, thought was good - assuming that's why you didn't pack up earlier and move to the Carolinas.

Hope they're doing well now.
    Give ?? . What are you talking about give. I and every other taxpayer in GE paid and paid a lot to see that you were well compensated with generous salaries and benefits . You didn't GIVE anything . You did your jobs and you were well paid for it.

Tell you a secret, since most GE kids come from good home where education is valued they would do well just about anyplace. Its a myth to think that paying teachers and administrators in rich suburban districts like GE actually contribute to the outcome of the students education.

As for the overall quality. The honors and AP classes they took were good the regular classes were a joke.

I am not a teacher, have never said I was a teacher. Thirty-nine years with a global employer (BTW, I have a pension, and benefits!) I don't even have kids, yet I pay taxes and have for over 43 years, all here in Illinois.

By 'give', I meant the taxpayers, as well as the entire school district, were able to give, or supply, or provide, your children the education you apparently desired for them at that time.

Still not quite following why you didn't pick up and move years earlier, given your second paragraph above - as I recall from back in the day, you stated several times you didn't want to move til your kids graduated. Just wondering what the attraction, or ROI, to you was, that you continued to pay and pay and pay........

Forum Regular
    This is strange. Why would you post about state related issues to a local village website that maybe 12 people read? Why not rant on social media like your Kommandant-in-Chief does? You really sound butt-hurt.