Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Illinois in decline

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    You have way too much time on your hands...
    Yes, I am in Pittsburgh today.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Yes, I am in Pittsburgh today.
    I hear it's nice this time of year.

It'd be nicer with a little less rain, heat and humidity. Not quite the weather it could be....

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Now this is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesoter View Post
    Simple solution: Legalize it.
    I'm just saying:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/19/news...nue/index.html

yes, please. That way less people will move here and we won't have to build a wall...

Forum Regular
    Why Illinois Is In Trouble - 63,000 Public Employees With $100,000+ Salaries Cost Taxpayers $10B

Unlike private companies, where unaffordable pensions have forced private companies to file bankruptcies, our state is stuck raising taxes trying to pay these IOU's.
    Last edited by Moderator1; 07-26-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fixed your link Mr. Grateful

new funding bill details....

Excerpts:

This bill also allows for property tax relief through referendums. The bill allows for residents in a school district where adequecy levels are 110 percent or higher to create a referendum to lower a school district's education tax levy up to 10 percent.
    This is geared towards wealthy suburban districts....there are quite a few that would meet this test.....in which district will residents step up first?

The compromise also includes mandate relief for districts. Schools would be allowed to outsource Driver's Education without having to go through a waiver process. Schools would also be able to lower their P.E. requirement from five days a week, to three days a week. Finally, this bill makes the waiver process quicker. Instead of waivers automatically going through the General Assembly for approval, the four legislative leaders will be able to approve without the full body.
    Bye Bye 6 figure salaries for Drivers Ed teachers?

This bill also allows for property tax relief through referendums. The bill allows for residents in a school district where adequacy levels are 110 percent or higher to create a referendum to lower a school district's education tax levy up to 10 percent.
    I perused the ISBE website and found this spreadsheet.

I'll save you all the time:

D41 Adequacy level is 111%
    D89 is 106%
    D87 Glenbard is 96%

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Bye Bye 6 figure salaries for Drivers Ed teachers?
    Not sure about you, but given what I witness almost nightly in the GW parking lot, I wouldn't get into a car with one of our pampered youth . . . let alone a bunch of different ones . . . for less than $100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Not sure about you, but given what I witness almost nightly in the GW parking lot, I wouldn't get into a car with one of our pampered youth . . . let alone a bunch of different ones . . . for less than $100,000.
    not a problem. Eliminate the departments from local schools and have private companies pick it up. It will be much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I perused the ISBE website and found this spreadsheet.

I'll save you all the time:

D41 Adequacy level is 111%
    D89 is 106%
    D87 Glenbard is 96%
    How soon can residents do this? Can something be put up in November?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Was reading the Tribune a couple of weeks ago and buried in some of your recent legislation was where Suburban residents will have to pony up an additional two percent for the costs of those generous pension benefits you all voted for all of these years. So look forward to and who in GE doesn't look forward to another big tax increase come 2020.

Maybe your continued declining enrollment will help you alleviate some of this but I'm betting the Union will soon want full day pre-school . Pretty soon they'll be yanking babies out of the maternity wards end enrolling them.

D41 enrollment has not really decreased in recent years. Still hovering around 3,500. Maybe 100 kids less than six years ago, but pretty stable. And judging by the huge increase in stroller pushers we've noticed recently, I don't foresee a huge change, unless Illinois's economic troubles really drive a deep, localized recession (could happen).

There are plenty of REAL issues in Illinois to comment on without making things up.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    D41 has seen it's enrollment decline by over two percent over the last several years. You can expect further declines as more and more women delay having children or since being child free is now more and more acceptable expect fewer women to have children. Since the cost to raise a child has skyrocketed expect expect those women who decide to be tied down and bear the tremendous expense to raise one to have fewer children.

Don't care how many baby strollers you see . Those are the demographic facts if you want I can share where I found them at.

And come 2020 you and all Suburban school districts will have to increase their share of the pension contributions by two percent. So you in GE will be subsidizing the CPS pensions. The D41 Administrative pensions and now will be making larger contributions to fund D41 and D87 pensions. How generous of you all. Since so few of you probably have your own pensions. So come 2019 or 2020 expect a major property tax increase. No don't expect D41 or D87 to take any cutbacks in spending they will do what they always do pass the costs on to you.