Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn something new everyday...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post

Now here is the eerie, ironic, weird fact...

"MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch shared an eerie coincidence about Fowler’s MLB debut. Archibald Wright “Moonlight” Graham, whose story was included in the book “Shoeless Joe,” which was later adapted into the film “Field of Dreams,” played right field in his first major league game for the New York Giants on the same date in 1905. He too did not make it to bat."
    But, but, but, Moonlight also became a wonderful Doctor, had a loving wife who liked getting hats as gifts, came back as a successful ghost rookie player in an exhibition game in Iowa, saved a life (even as a ghost) and was a beloved character in a popular movie. So, not too bad a life(s)!

PRAYING MANTISES CAN KILL BIRDS AND EAT THEIR BRAINS ALL AROUND THE WORLD (link) — Newsweek

"Like all great assassins, praying mantises are patient. Many species sit completely still, waiting until edible creatures comes within reach. Then they pounce, holding prey in a death grip with their spiked forelegs. Although they mostly hunt other insects, they can also eat birds. A new scientific review shows that mantises have been observed targeting birds all around the world, in every continent except Antarctica.

The brutality of these mantises should not be underestimated. Typically, they grab birds by the head to “pierce the skull to feed on brain tissue,” says William Brown, a biologist with the State University of New York at Fredonia, who wasn’t involved in the research. This head-first approach appears to be a typical tact, though further observations will be needed to confirm this, he adds.

Nyffeler says that mantises, which are sometimes introduced into suburban areas to control insect pests, might exact a significant toll on hummingbirds in these areas."

Article goes on to say the most common victim is the Ruby-throated hummingbirds (Archilochus colubrids), the only species of hummingbird to regularly visit the Chicagoland area.

You say nightly, I say nitely....gimme a lite, a Bud Light

TV networks are purposely misspelling show names to avoid bad Nielsen ratings (link)

TV networks have figured out how to game the Nielsen ratings system. It’s as easy as playing dumb, literally. On days when programmers know their viewership will drop, like on holiday weekends or during sporting events, they “accidentally” misspell their show’s name on the nightly Nielsen lineup, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Over the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, for example, NBC aired NBC Nitely News instead of its usual NBC Nightly News so the holiday drop in viewership didn’t affect its ratings standing. Nielsen’s automated system counted that misspelled show as an entirely different program. By doing this, NBC managed to actually gain ratings against its main competitor: ABC World News Tonight.

NBC apparently misspelled its shows 14 times since the start of the 2016 to 2017 TV season, and it’s not the only network to pull this tactic. This season, ABC did so seven times with its Wrld New Tonite, while CBS replaced The CBS Evening News with CBS Evening Nws 12 times. Clearly, this method isn’t much of a secret, although The Wall Street Journal points out that advertisers are catching on and are fed up with paying more for potentially disingenuous viewership counts.

ya, heard this on the radio.....once the advertisers start complaining, this will stop....

Kid Rock is running for Senate in Michigan. These things come in threes, Nugent next?

Glenbard West has a Bass Fishing Club.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2017/0...views/a1q3akv/

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Bass Fishing Club...
    It's an IHSA sport (IHSA link).

PETA kills animals. Never knew that.

Animal rights group pays family $49,000 to settle lawsuit after it seized dog called Maya which belonged to nine-year-old (link) — The Guardian

"A family has settled a lawsuit against People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) after it took a girl’s unattended dog and put it down. The legal outcome ends an attempt to in effect put Peta on trial for euthanising hundreds of animals each year.

Peta says the animals it puts down are often turned away by other shelters. And it said many pets are brought in by low-income owners who can’t afford to care for their elderly or sick animals. The organisation says it helps as many as 25,000 animals a year, spaying and neutering many free of charge. But the shelter’s euthanasia rate – it put down more than 1,400 of about 2,000 animals in 2016 – has drawn criticism from some in the so-called “no kill” shelter movement."

There is about 2% of Peta's objectives I agree with.

That said, in a broader context I think people have to be aware that many of the 'no kill' shelters end up full and do have to turn away many animals, many of whom are probably considered 'unadoptable' due to age/illness/lack of socialization, due to lack of space, and then where do those animals go?

There are very few open shelters that take every animal that is presented to them (in fact, only one in DuPage that I can think of right now). PETA's rate seems incredibly high to me, though - but, don't know the specifics whether it's at all justifiable or not, and how much work PETA does to partner with other shelters to transfer adoptable animals to those shelters. I'd have to research.

Quote Originally Posted by darlili View Post
    That said, in a broader context I think people have to be aware that many of the 'no kill' shelters end up full and do have to turn away many animals, many of whom are probably considered 'unadoptable' due to age/illness/lack of socialization, due to lack of space, and then where do those animals go?
    I try not to comment on things I don't know about, this is one of them. While aware of the unfortunate necessity to euthanize animals, I was just surprised to learn PETA did that.

I try not to comment on things I don't know about, this is one of them. While aware of the unfortunate necessity to euthanize animals, I was just surprised to learn PETA did that.

I wasn't aware either about that aspect of PETA! I think I was just overly sensitive - had a conversation the other day with a person who didn't quite realize that the no kill shelters, while invaluable, aren't the only solution to the issue, since they do get so over crowded. And some shelters, even those who work extremely hard to keep the euthanization rate as low as possible, end up vilified, even though they're the only ones around that will accept any animal. I have to admit - it bothers me no end that the DuPage County Animal Care & Control receives no tax dollars. My soap box for this morning; change of pace from staring at our federal issues. :-)

That said, there are definitely shelters in many areas that are, IMO, totally inhumane and heartless in their euthanization approach.

I posted of course because "I learned something," but what is troubling about the story I linked, is that if PETA says it is only euthanizing animals it deems too sick, elderly, aggressive or feral for adoption...how is it that a healthy pet of a child was put down with no effort for adoption? The facts and protocol in this instance do not match their statement.

that's extremely troubling to me as well. Article mentions PETA said it was a terrible mistake. Could indeed be a horrible mischance, I suppose. But, again, that rate seems really high without some sort of, what, independent audit by vets to check if indeed the rate was humanely reasonable?

On the other hand, let's say the circumstances of the mobile home park owner requesting help in catching unleashed, possibly feral animals roaming the park was indeed true, and that pup was unleashed and unattended and sadly got picked up in the sweep. It didn't seem that PETA ran into someone's house and just grabbed a pet. I suspect there's some wrong on both sides. Heck, in my condo association we've had to give stern warnings to owners that leaving their small pets unattended is really really not a good idea - just because of hawks/coyotes (oh, and rule violation).

It was hardly a "terrible mistake". PETA has been caught doing such things for years. #1 #2 #3 #4

• “While employed at PETA, my primary responsibilities included gaining possession of as many cats and dogs and possible, almost all of which were euthanized.”
    • “Ingrid Newkirk was in charge of the Community Animal Project and Ingrid became my supervisor.”
    • (“PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk) said that an effort to adopt out an animal was a waste of PETA’s money and effort.”
    • “I was specifically told by my supervisors at PETA to tell people that we would find good homes for the dogs and cats, even though we knew the animals would be euthanized.”
    • “If we saw animals loose, even on someone’s property, we were to take them whenever we could. PETA would not hold them for five days. We would not obtain signed releases if an animal was stolen, but would euthanize the animals immediately.”
    • PETA focused on impoverished neighborhoods because “people from low income neighborhoods were more likely to relinquish their pets to us.”
    • “We would routinely euthanize healthy puppies and kittens and other highly adoptable animals.”
    • “I was instructed by Erica to over-estimate the size of the dogs and cats when euthanizing them so that there would be additional drugs that could be used kill dogs and cats ‘off the books,’ meaning that dogs and cats could be euthanized without reporting their death to the State. Erica told me these instructions came directly from (PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk.)”
    • “Killing animals ‘off the books,’ was done so that PETA’s kill rate would not look as bad.”
    • when I did use the room across from my office as a holding area for animals, Ingrid would ask why I hadn’t already euthanized them: one time nailing me to the wall because the litter of puppies I’d placed in there for a night had pooped everywhere; I was told to euthanize the puppies immediately.

Heather Harper-Troje

www.petakillsanimals.com

www.whypetakills.com

The truth about PETA

PETA threats

Police suspected that PETA workers were killing the dogs and cats they were picking up from shelters and clinics because carcasses wrapped in plastic bags were found in the bins every Wednesday for four straight weeks.

Officers staked out the garbage bins, which were at a Piggly Wiggly supermarket.

They found 18 dead dogs in the container and 13 other animal carcasses in the van, which was registered to PETA, and arrested the two workers. The animals were alive when they were picked up earlier in the day, Roberts said, adding, “We don’t know exactly how they were killed.”

I honestly thought that most informed people were long aware of PETA's cruel and grotesque side:

"I would go to work early, before anyone got there, and I would just kill the animals myself.... I must have killed thousands of them, sometimes dozens everyday."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA, The New Yorker, April 14, 2003

"We are not in the home finding business."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA

PETA is absolutely opposed to all (companion animal) breeding...As difficult as it may be for us to accept, euthanasia is often the most compassionate and dignified way for unwanted animals to leave this uncaring world.

--PeTA
    Last edited by jombl; 08-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.

how is it that a healthy pet of a child was put down with no effort for adoption?
    Pretty simple really.

Here's what happened in this particular case that you mention here. The PeTA employees pull up to the child's home in a PeTA van, walk on to the porch and steal the child's dog. Then they kill it in the van. The theft of the child's dog, Maya, begins at the 1 minute mark and is over by the 2 minute mark:

Not surprising at all:

Q: Did any of these stolen animals get re-homed?

A: “No. If you adopt out dogs you steal then you leave a trail, in theory. If they just go poof there is no trail.”

Q: And (PeTA President and co-founder) Ingrid Newkirk herself approved of this?

A: “It was what she told us to do — it was standard operating procedure.”
    PeTA would have you believe that these are pets "willingly surrendered" for euthanasia. Not a joke, not at all believable, but they're not joking - PeTA says it with a straight face.