Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Learn something new everyday...

Forum Hall of Famer
    Wow, just wow, learning something new can hurt.

Time article about the dog murder:

http://time.com/4127919/virginia-fam...thanized-peta/

Forum Hall of Famer
    Are you an optimist or a pessimist? "Is the glass half empty or half full? or, "Are you Stayin' Alive or Bitin' the Dust?"

When performing CPR, the first responder must match the rate of at least 100 chest compression per 60 seconds. To aid in that, helps to keep the beat to a well known song.

And Two of the better known songs that have about 100 beats per minute...Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive and Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

From Stayin' Alive to Another One Bites the Dust: Hospital reveals Spotify playlist perfect for performing CPR to

Forum Hall of Famer
    Penis bleaching is a thing — and it’s getting bigger (link)Yahoo News

"A Bangkok clinic that has drawn 100 men a month to its penis whitening service has caused a stir in Thailand, with social media users both baffled and alarmed by the phallic fad.

The Lelux Hospital, renowned for its body whitening expertise in a country obsessed with skin colour, began offering the unconventional treatment six months ago after a male customer complained of "dark parts" on his groin.

"These days a lot of people are asking about it. We get around 100 clients a month, three to four clients a day," Bunthita Wattanasiri, a manager for the Skin and Laser department at Lelux Hospital told AFP.

The procedure, which uses...

I knew it. Advil really is just for chicks.

Ibuprofen linked to male infertility

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    I knew it. Advil really is just for chicks.

Ibuprofen linked to male infertility
    And old guys with bad knees. Good thing we chose not to have children.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    And old guys with bad knees. Good thing we chose not to have children.
    I have put off ACL/MCL surgery since mid July due to a gig I have to drive to (sucks when you f up your right leg) and at one point was calling myself the Brett Favre of Ibuprofen. I have since given it up because of stomach issues and went to Aleve.

Wetlands outside the Black Gate of Mordor
    Why, I too eyeballed that codswallop over at Lord Vader's magic web about ibuprofen. Criminy, in my line of work, a heap of bacon & Advil is indispensible breakfast grub. Keeps me going, it does. Me and the missus gots enough youngins anyways.

We'd been thinkin' about sendin' off fer that Hube Hubert feller's "releef in a blue 'n green bag" snake oil he hawks every day on the wireless, but 19 and 95 is a lot of dough to shell out fer the rest 'a yer life.

Forum Hall of Famer
    Always good to learn something new for the weekend cocktail party banter, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian just announced the name of their recently birthed third child... Chicago. Chicago West. Take that Michael!

Forum All Star
    Here's one to chew on - Massachusetts teachers hired since the summer of '01 will never receive a pension worth more than their own contributions plus interest. They will put in more than they take out. Their funds will be used to pay the previous hires pension plan based on its premised annual returns.

And that, for those interested, is the very definition of a Ponzi scheme according to the Securities and Exchange Commission:

What is a Ponzi scheme?

A Ponzi scheme is an investment fraud that involves the payment of purported returns to existing investors from funds contributed by new investors.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-15-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    And that, for those interested, is the very definition of a Ponzi scheme according to the Securities and Exchange Commission:
    Jombl,

Since you are so meticulous in your research for your posts, I am sure you already know that the Economist technically refers to pension plans as pyramid schemes and not ponzi schemes.

Economist : Pensions - Not Ponzis, but pyramids

"I don't think he's right to call them "Ponzi cons" as those are outright frauds, and that is not really the case."

Last edited by GEman; 04-15-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Back at ya

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Please explain why you don't believe that Massachusetts fits the definition of a Ponzi.
    It has not been proven to be a fraud.

All ponzi schemes are frauds and not all pyramid schemes are technically frauds.
    No doubt they are bad news for the new "investors", but are they frauds?
    Coming in on the bottom of the pyramid is bad news.

Journalists mix up the terms burglary and robbery all the time and technically they are not the same thing.
    No doubt the same has occurred with ponzi and pyramid.

Can you please stop with all the name calling and bickering? This forum has become very ugly. In the past it was somewhere to find out events, news of the town, and friendly banter. Now it is angry and divided, much like our country. No one practices kindness and tolerance anymore.

Thank you Leslie