Thread: Proposed 2017-18 School Calendar - August 14 start?

Proposed 2017-18 School Calendar - August 14 start?

FYI - for people with kids in D87. I just heard of this today and thought others might be interested. Discussion item tonight at D87 BOE meeting on starting the 2017-18 school year on August 14, 2017.
    Here's the report with the proposed calendar:
    https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...px?ik=39558717

Just to note: the D41 calendar committee has just started meeting, so the calendar has NOT been set for the D41 2017-18 school year yet.
    Last edited by Stephanie Clark; 10-25-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    That link's not working for me. That would be a week earlier than normal, correct? Can you give a quick gist of the rationale? I assume that fall sports would still start practice around the same time as normal.

Forum Regular
    Can't open link. I'm hopeful they would take finals BEFORE Christmas break with new schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Clark View Post
    FYI - for people with kids in D87. I just heard of this today and thought others might be interested. Discussion item tonight at D87 BOE meeting on starting the 2017-18 school year on August 14, 2017.
    Here's the report with the proposed calendar:
    https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...ad.aspx…

Just to note: the D41 calendar committee has just started meeting, so the calendar has NOT been set for the D41 2017-18 school year yet.

Not sure what happened with the link. I fixed it above.

I'm not 100% sure of rationale? I've heard it was to get finals in before break. Don't know about sports either? If their schedules would move up?

From the Glenbard News email dated 10/25- Highlights from Monday's BOE meeting. No other info given besides this...

"2017-2018 school calendar. The 2017-2018 School Calendar was reviewed by District administrators; the Glenbard Education Association (GEA); and the American Federation of School, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)."

The new calendar is slated for school to begin August 16, which is three days earlier than usual date due to the placement of some teacher institute days. The decision was made due to many student/parent requests to have the semester end, with final exams, before winter break, rather than as it is now, with students returning after winter break for a few days of classes, then final exams. \

Glenbard District 87 students could start school early next year (link) — Daily Herald

Excerpts...

"Glenbard High School District 87 students could return to classes in mid-August next year. The school board is expected to vote later this month to approve the new, earlier start date.

The new date would allow students to take finals before winter break -- and enjoy the holidays without the pressures of studying for first-semester exams.

"As a parent of children, I think the opportunity to have finals done before winter break is good for families," Assistant Superintendent Josh Chambers said. "That in and of itself is a really positive step forward as we look at our school calendar."

The draft 2017-18 calendar has students beginning classes Aug. 16, three school days earlier than this year.

The proposed calendar also calls for the first semester ending Dec. 22. Winter break would run through Jan. 5, 2018. Classes would resume for the second semester Jan. 9.

Students are slated to finish the year May 25 -- before Memorial Day.

Glen Ellyn Elementary District 41 recently convened a committee that will make a recommendation for its 2017-18 calendar during a school board meeting Nov. 21.

Students in both District 41 and District 87 kicked off the current school year Aug. 22."

Got the e-mail from D41 tonight; they will be out of synch with D87, starting and ending a week later than the high schools.

Spring and winter breaks are the same though.

I assumed the breaks would stay in synch, glad that's the case. As a parent of students in both districts, I am looking forward to some hearty trash talk next August and May.

I can see the Glenbard School District calendar for 2017/2018 but I was wondering if anyone knows where the proposed, or final 2018/2019 calendar can be found?

I think it's a little early for the 2018/2019 calendar, might not see that until the fall. In the past you could have guesstimated it based on prior calendars, but with the adjustment of start date for 2017/2018 that method may be riskier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Jennings View Post
    final 2018/2019 calendar can be found?
    This will likely be voted on at the November board meeting.

If you could find out who sits on the calendar committee you might be able to ply them for some unofficial insider info.