Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Busses....

The Buses....

Wtf.........
    Last edited by GE Fan; 08-22-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Buy here a car. Let her drive.

Speaking of busses, this is incredible if accurate http://patch.com/illinois/naperville...ool-bus-report

Well, her driving herself may be more reliable than today's round-trip. Driven to school my the neighbors after waiting 20 minutes at the street-corner - then dropped off 45 minutes late on the way home 7 blocks from our house.

Really a bang up job.

It can't be that hard of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Wtf.........
    I know "TF". First Student won the busing contracts for District 41, District 87, Carol Stream grade schools and Glendale Heights grade schools back from Illinois Central. Unexpectedly for First Student, most Illinois Central drivers chose to remain with the company to service District 89, Wheaton District 200 and Roselle District 20. Everything I hear is that First Student is woefully short of drivers. And, many of the drivers they have are not familiar with the area (they are being bused in on a temporary basis).

Complaints to the school boards would be in order. They are the ones who awarded the contracts. They chose to save money over continuing with the provider (Illinois Central) who had provided very good service for the past 5 years After the announcements of the contract awards last spring, administrators and school personnel in all the impacted districts that I spoke to were dreading the prospect of changing back to First Student. BTW, although in the bidding, First Student did undercut Illinois Central, Illinois Central's bids were for less than First Student was charging when they were the provider 6 years ago.

And yes, I'm biased. I am indeed employed by Illinois Central.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    I watched this AM a bus driver drive through my area several times. Unless she was practicing driving-I was concerned. Revved the engine a few times, gunned it, navigated turns - not good. We'll watch for tomorrow and see if she improves.

Well, heads should roll. This is not only an inconvenience (thank Goodness Fanette was home this AM and will be again tomorrow AM) but it's a huge safety issue. According to my daughter her driver had absolutely no idea where she was going and was rude to the kids. Not sure how any parent can trust these idiots to get to the school and get to the school safely...which is obviously the most important.

To the D41 austerity crew - cheaper isn't always better.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 08-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    This shouldn't come as any great surprise when the trend is to FOIA, publicly question and criticize expenditure after expenditure after expenditure.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nika View Post
    This shouldn't come as any great surprise when the trend is to FOIA, publicly question and criticize expenditure after expenditure after expenditure.
    Nice shots, but it misses the mark...badly.

From the April 25, 2016 minutes (page 7):

"Mrs. Nelson noted the following recommendations are for transportation contracts for both regular and special education transportation. Glen Ellyn School District 41, in partnership with our cooperatives started the process of accepting bids for these services in February. Bid specifications call for each member district to enter into a separate contract with the successful bidder. Transportation representatives, members of the two cooperatives, and the district's legal counsel have all been involved with creating the final financial terms. All cooperative members must approve these financial and contractual independently. Each contract is for a term of three years. The board took action on each recommendation separately."

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Henninger View Post

Complaints to the school boards would be in order. They are the ones who awarded the contracts. They chose to save money over continuing with the provider (Illinois Central)

And yes, I'm biased. I am indeed employed by Illinois Central.
    Does the board even have a choice under Illinois law when faced with competing bids from established providers? I have to imagine that IC would be in court quickly if their lowest bid for a contract was ignored.

It sounds like IC may have been stretched too thin to bid market rates for the contract and/or was betting on expanding margins on a wealthier district but lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    Nice shots, but it misses the mark...badly.

From the April 25, 2016 minutes (page 7):

"Mrs. Nelson noted the following recommendations are for transportation contracts for both regular and special education transportation. Glen Ellyn School District 41, in partnership with our cooperatives started the process of accepting bids for these services in February. Bid specifications call for each member district to enter into a separate contract with the successful bidder. Transportation representatives, members of the two cooperatives, and the district's legal counsel have all been involved with creating the final financial terms. All cooperative members must approve these financial and contractual independently. Each contract is for a term of three years. The board took action on each recommendation separately."
    Shots? My comment was a shot?

My kid wasn't picked up in the am then driven all over town by someone who clearly had no competence in doing their job only to arrive over 30 minutes late and it's a deemed a shot when questioning? I don't think so Rath.

People come on here for answers - thus far, parents haven't received anything material. Thus, we're left with Mr. Henninger's comments. Moreover, given the superintendent's email, it doesn't seem like anything will improve today.

And FWIW - your quoted section does nothing to response to Mr. Henninger's comment - of which Nika and I were commenting on and referencing. But I must ask, do you agree or disagree that cheaper isn't necessarily better? Maybe a good question as a potential candidate.
    Last edited by GE Fan; 08-23-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    And FWIW - your quotes section does nothing to response to Mr. Henninger's comment - of which Nika and I were commenting on.
    I didn't understand the quote either. In all seriousness, my point was not that Cooper or Ackerman or anyone else who has publicly complained and harassed about spending was directly involved in the decision. It was more along the lines that this constant harping on these things, especially in the negative and abusive way those people have publicly done so, will inevitably result in the pendulum swinging towards making decisions based solely on $. It will continue until something very bad happens (like a child getting hurt) and then the pendulum will swing back. It would be nice if these groups of people could work together, compromise, and put the interests of our children first and foremost.

People scoff at busing but doing it right and safely is really important. Sorry that your kids and others had to put up with that crap, Fan. I am sure it really sucked for him/her/them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nika View Post
    I didn't understand the quote either. In all seriousness, my point was not that Cooper or Ackerman or anyone else who has publicly complained and harassed about spending was directly involved in the decision. It was more along the lines that this constant harping on these things, especially in the negative and abusive way those people have publicly done so, will inevitably result in the pendulum swinging towards making decisions based solely on $. It will continue until something very bad happens (like a child getting hurt) and then the pendulum will swing back. It would be nice if these groups of people could work together, compromise, and put the interests of our children first and foremost.

People scoff at busing but doing it right and safely is really important. Sorry that your kids and others had to put up with that crap, Fan. I am sure it really sucked for him/her/them.
    Exactly. And my apologies for the typos. I need to stop posting from my IPhone.

Moving forward, this is what it should look like today...

1. TWO adults on the bus. One to drive and one sitting behind the driver to navigate and/ or help kids. The extra adult should be provided by the bus company or district and should stay on the bus through Friday.

2. Pick up times should be at least CLOSE to what is scheduled today and be on time by the end of the week.

3. Gordon needs another blanket email but individual principals need to contact individual families if any more glitches occur.

Anything less would be worth complaining about. Fingers crossed for a smoother day on the buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    Just flew by again, then braked-backed up and made a right turn that was missed. No kids on bus yet. Now to see if she comes around the other streets back to the main drag - me- in a few minutes. This bus sounds like its in the wrong gear so to speak. I don't blame her if she doesn't know the route, but don't they practice in parking lots then do test runs weeks ago?

Forum Regular
    Fwiw, my response showed that the administration, its legal counsel, and the bus companies worked together to create the recommendation for the board. No one person is to blame.

My child wasn't picked up yesterday either, but do I blame anyone? No. But guess what...not only was he picked up this morning, it was at his scheduled time. That's the kind of improvement I would expect. We all know I've been a critic of the administration, but the response from Gordon yesterday was actually fair. From my POV, First Student stepped it up so far today...now if it's still happening next week, then there's a problem.