Thread: Sierra Trading Post

Sierra Trading Post

The Danada Dominicks is to become a Sierra Trading Post - only the 10th. The original is in Cheyenne with the legendary barn that has been built on many times over. The expansion stores are much more retail, especially with the newer owners. Having been a regular in three going back to the pre-internet catalog days and a customer in six of the current nine, I don't think they are anywhere near what they once were.

Think of it as more back-to-school, and not so much off to the mountains...
    Last edited by jombl; 06-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Whole Foods will occupy the majority of that space. It is ginormous. Apparently, a SBUX and a Charter Fitness, whatever the hell that is . . . in addition to STP. That mall is straight up grotesque and completely stuck in the early 90s. Hopefully, the owner will do a massive reno to the whole thing.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I think the Charter Fitness is a bit north of the old Dominicks - I'm not sure, but I think it was the store that used to sell sports equipment. It's a couple of storefronts north of the Weightwatchers store, so not in the old Dominicks space. Saw an 'enrollment' sign on the window this morning. Unless there's another fitness place going up too.

Anyone know if anything is going into the old Whole Foods space. I always get the plaza names mixed up, but it's the Petsmart plaza to me :-)

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    I believe Cardinal Fitness is consolidating the current Wheaton and Glen Ellyn into one location there.

Cardinal and Charter the same thing?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    Cardinal and Charter the same thing?
    I don't believe so. The two locations are owned by same folks, could be they are switching to Charter.

All I know for certain is I'm losing a gym that was very convenient from a location standpoint. We will probably sign up with Ackerman Rec Center once Cardinal closes/moves.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

Think of it as more back-to-school, and not so much off to the mountains...

I think they pulled off the Danada Sierra Trading Post very well.

I was also briefly in the Kildeer location not too long ago and it was terrible, seemed like little more than a rebranded TJ Maxx. It was a brief stop, but the two locations (the only in Illinois I believe) were very different.

I hope the Danada location keeps with it's current mix of higher end outdoor stock. The most interesting things, like Italian handmade hiking boots and $800 jackets with 600 off are usually only found with one item in a size. But then, that's part of their conscious business plan to salt the mine with little nuggets around to add to the brand identity and mystique. Just never expect to see any individual unique item second time.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

I was also briefly in the Kildeer location not too long ago and it was terrible, seemed like little more than a rebranded TJ Maxx.
    Their radio ads indicate that they're part of the TJMaxx family.

I give them a few enthusiastic thumbs up for good prices on outdoor gear. Got some good Marmot rain shells for me as well as some quality rain jackets for the kids for wilderness camping. I hate paying big bucks for decent rain jackets that they'll outgrow in 10 months. Sierra to the rescue............

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Their radio ads indicate that they're part of the TJMaxx family.

TJ Maxx did buy them, I was trying to say that the Kildeer Sierra just feels like less a STP and somewhat more like a rebranded TJ Maxx.

I do think they're doing the Danada store really well. They will be putting a dent into REI Oakbrook.

I heard Pete's is going into the old Whole Foods and Tony's into the Ultra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk