Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer Cellar

Beer Cellar

Can't believe there is no thread on Beer Cellar, if there was (is), I couldn't find it.

Anyway, story craft brew price gouging, and Beer Cellar comes out on the side of the consumer…thumbs up Dave.

Excerpts...

Popular local beer brewer takes on price gouging stores (link) Fox 32 News Chicago

"Eighteen bucks for a bottle of beer? If you think that's outrageous, so does the man who brewed it. The owner of one of the Chicago area's hottest breweries is taking on some liquor stores who he says are unfairly jacking up the price of his product.

A long-time home brewer, Pallen quit his marketing job years ago and started Mikerphone Brewery in Elk Grove Village, making tiny batches of popular craft beer. But that popularity is causing a problem. "I don't want to see these bottles going for astronomical prices. It's not fair to consumers and it's not fair to me,” Pallen said.

A couple days ago, Pallen received an e-mail from a frustrated customer saying their local liquor store charged him $18 for a bottle of Imperial "Smells like Bean Spirit,” which is a coffee infused double IPA that just hit the market. That’s four dollars more than the suggested retail price. "Pretty big markup. And what we call that is price gouging. And to me, I don't ever want to see a consumer taken advantage of, and that's exactly what's happening in this case,” Pallen said.

So, Pallen responded by posting a message on Mikerphone's Facebook page saying he is "incredibly upset,” but can't control what liquor stores charge. However, he warned that because he also distributes his beer, there will be payback. "I can control who gets my beer. So if a store's gonna take advantage of consumers, they're not gonna get my beer anymore,” Pallen said.

"When I opened my door that day I had eleven people in the store ready to buy it,” said Dave Hawley. Hawley owns the "Beer Cellar,” which is a tiny bottle shop in downtown Glen Ellyn. He says he has resisted the growing practice of jacking up the prices of the hottest craft beers. "I want my consumers to keep coming back and purchasing those products from me. So I'm not gonna increase the markup on rare or limited beers,” Hawley said.

Pallen's Facebook rant has now gone viral with craft beer fans thanking him for taking a stand."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Dave is really good about putting me on new brews I'll enjoy.

The Beer Cellar plans move to bigger spot in downtown Glen Ellyn (link) — Daily Herald

"Dave Hawley knew he had a loyal following when commuters began making an abrupt detour to his Glen Ellyn shop. His selection of craft beer is so sought-after that some Metra riders hop off the train, pick up a six pack or some bombers and then resume their trip home to Geneva.

"We have had a huge customer base," the owner -- and curator -- of The Beer Cellar says. It's become so big, in fact, that Hawley plans to move the store below his former apartment to a higher-profile spot downtown where he can expand his offerings. "It will still be a small, well-curated selection of beer, but we're moving from a basement to a street-level location," Hawley said.

Hawley hopes to open the new Beer Cellar -- part tap room, part bottle shop -- by early September after renovating a former yoga studio at 488 Crescent Blvd. Hawley says he's close to finalizing a lease of the now-vacant space. Once that deal is finalized, Glen Ellyn trustees are expected to create a new type of liquor license to allow Hawley's customers to drink craft beer -- not just samples -- in the new store.

With a bigger space, Hawley will be able to offer 75 to 125 varieties of craft beer out of a cooler, or double the amount he now sells cold. The Beer Cellar's intimate vibe will carry over into the tap room, where patrons will be greeted by an approachable Hawley. "I like to engage with my customers," says Hawley, who now lives in Wheaton.

"It will just be a nice, quaint little place to get a beer," he said."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    Life just got a little better for beer aficionados.

This is great news, and I'm quite happy that the Village is working with this business by adjusting outdated liquor licensing rules. This business is a true asset to the community.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenly Ellynby View Post
    outdated
    If you liked the Beer Cellar, you're going to love the Hemp Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by NEBF View Post
    If you liked the Beer Cellar, you're going to love the Hemp Hut.
    Or the Cannibis Cabin?

The Bud Barn?

The Hemporium?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    I'm mostly waiting for the smokey pool hall where Wooden Barrel/Tap House/Firkin & Fox was. Not to say Hemporium/Hut or Cannabis Cabin aren't also sound business proposals.

The new location is most excellent.

[QUOTE=GuyLafleur;34303]The new location is most excellent.[/QUOTE

Plus 1

[QUOTE=isaac;34306]
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyLafleur View Post
    The new location is most excellent.[/QUOTE

Plus 1
    Although it's not really a "cellar" anymore, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by isaac View Post
    The new location is most excellent.
    Care to share?

Website says on Crescent right by McChesney. Is that correct?

He just made up some more beer advent calendars, first-come first-served.

https://twitter.com/beercellarchi

Looks like the old yoga building....

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Care to share?

Website says on Crescent right by McChesney. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    Looks like the old yoga building....
    Turning Yoga studios into beer merchants. Now that's making America Great Again.