Thread: University of Illinois

University of Illinois

"We are on the cusp of something big happening."

Perhaps not news, and I'm neither U of I nor an engineer, but still a pretty infectious cheer; "If you went to Illinois, you should be proud of what is going on in Champaign. Put some orange and blue on today":

Today, I am lucky to be on the campus of the University of Illinois in Champaign. I am one of the people judging in the Cozad New Venture Challenge. This is a cradle of capitalism. The university is a shining light in a state that is deservedly getting some bad press.The students have been working on ideas that became products that could become really big companies. They have built it.

The University of Illinois is the number one engineering program in the United States. It is really an amazing place and only gets better. The sheer quantity of great engineers it turns out year after year is pretty amazing. The quality is off the charts. Like everything in education these days, sustaining that quality is hard. Money is always an issue.

The college has top notch students. Perfect test scores are not an abnormality. It’s harder to get into U of I engineering than it is Harvard. Many students come from Illinois, but a lot come from California and points beyond. It’s diverse. Lots of women are entering the college. The faculty is really amazing too. Nobel Prize winners, but mostly great engineers that see the future and solve problems using cutting edge technology. It must be incredibly stimulating to work everyday in an environment like that.

Chicago’s entrepreneurial community has made great strides in the last ten years. Geography can be a tough hurdle. Illinois is on the bleeding edge of technology like virtual reality-but nothing beats meeting up in person……yet. Universities are figuring out how to be more collaborative. As a builder of the entrepreneurial community there, I am confident when I say the community doesn’t get supercharged without the University of Illinois. If you are in the Chicago entrepreneurial community, start thinking about how you can build a personal bridge to Champaign.

If you went to Illinois, you should be proud of what is going on in Champaign. Put some orange and blue on today. Over on the south side of campus, the College of Business, which boasts more CFOs of Fortune 1000 firms than any other school in the country, is pivoting to focus on entrepreneurship.

We are on the cusp of something big happening.
    Last edited by jombl; 04-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.

+1 my previous company sponsored some projects with the entrepreneurial program. Students came up with some amazing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

University of Wisconsin-Madison unseats University of Illinois as top party school (link)

"University of Wisconsin-Madison leaders are chafing under a state-imposed tuition freeze and the football team didn't crack the Top 25 preseason rankings. But no school in the country throws a better party, according to the Princeton Review's 2017 edition of "The Best 381 Colleges." Here's a look at how it decides who's No. 1, as well as other notable "best of" rankings, such as best financial aid and most beautiful campus…

West Virginia University in Morgantown came in second, followed by the University of Illinois' flagship campus in Urbana-Champaign, which was ranked No. 1 last year. Two Pennsylvania schools -- Lehigh University and Bucknell University -- filled out the top five schools.

For students who don't care to drink, Brigham Young University is the place to be. The private school that's affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints took top honors in the "Stone-Cold Sober Schools" category for the 19th straight year. Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, has the best financial aid. The University of Massachusetts-Amherst has the best campus food, Washington University in St. Louis the best dorms and Penn State University the best athletic facilities."

I put very little stock in this...Princeton wouldn't know a good party if it crashed one of its' venerable dining clubs with confetti and an open bar...

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Princeton Review is in no way affiliated with Princeton University, just piggy-backing on that brand's strong influence over helicopter parents.

Princeton Review is great - I worked for them teaching test prep classes throughout undergrad and law school. Once a year we'd have to man a table requesting students to complete surveys for the above mentioned book.