Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intelligentsia Cup series

Intelligentsia Cup series

Intelligentsia Cup cycling series could make stop in Glen Ellyn (link) — Daily Herald

"Pro and amateur cyclists from around the globe could race along tree-lined streets near Lake Ellyn in a new event in the Intelligentsia Cup series. The Tour of Lake Ellyn — the lake once was the backdrop of a little-known race in the 1970s -- would debut in July in Glen Ellyn and draw roughly 1,000 spectators, organizers say. Neighbors along the proposed route are invited to a meeting Wednesday night to give feedback to village officials, who are considering whether to grant a permit allowing organizers to stage the event.

Invites have been sent to nearly 300 addresses in the neighborhood, where streets and driveways would be blocked to traffic, Assistant Village Manager Al Stonitsch said. Organizers also will give a brief presentation during the meeting, set to begin at 5:30 p.m. on the third floor of the Civic Center, 535 Duane St. They are billing the tour as an all-day, festival-like event with entertainment, food and beverages, vendors and free kids races.

The pros would top speeds of 30 mph on a scenic course that starts at Lenox Road and Linden Street, winds around the 25-acre Lake Ellyn park, heads south past Glenbard West High School on Crescent Boulevard, northeast on Lake Road and eventually finishes at Lenox and Linden.

Glen Ellyn cycling enthusiasts helped draw the attention of the Intelligentsia Cup, Stonitsch said. The Tour of Lake Ellyn is tentatively set for 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, July 16. Stonitsch said organizers are working on several concepts to accommodate residents who live along the route. Golf carts, for instance, may be able to shuttle them back and forth from their homes to a satellite parking lot.

Village trustees are expected to consider the permit and the neighbors' input during a workshop meeting April 18. The board formally would vote April 25."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Intelligentsia Cup cycling series could make stop in Glen Ellyn (link) — Daily Herald

"Pro and amateur cyclists from around the globe could race along tree-lined streets near Lake Ellyn in a new event in the Intelligentsia Cup series. The Tour of Lake Ellyn — the lake once was the backdrop of a little-known race in the 1970s -- would debut in July in Glen Ellyn and draw roughly 1,000 spectators, organizers say. Neighbors along the proposed route are invited to a meeting Wednesday night to give feedback to village officials, who are considering whether to grant a permit allowing organizers to stage the event.

Invites have been sent to nearly 300 addresses in the neighborhood, where streets and driveways would be blocked to traffic, Assistant Village Manager Al Stonitsch said. Organizers also will give a brief presentation during the meeting, set to begin at 5:30 p.m. on the third floor of the Civic Center, 535 Duane St. They are billing the tour as an all-day, festival-like event with entertainment, food and beverages, vendors and free kids races.

The pros would top speeds of 30 mph on a scenic course that starts at Lenox Road and Linden Street, winds around the 25-acre Lake Ellyn park, heads south past Glenbard West High School on Crescent Boulevard, northeast on Lake Road and eventually finishes at Lenox and Linden.

Glen Ellyn cycling enthusiasts helped draw the attention of the Intelligentsia Cup, Stonitsch said. The Tour of Lake Ellyn is tentatively set for 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, July 16. Stonitsch said organizers are working on several concepts to accommodate residents who live along the route. Golf carts, for instance, may be able to shuttle them back and forth from their homes to a satellite parking lot.

Village trustees are expected to consider the permit and the neighbors' input during a workshop meeting April 18. The board formally would vote April 25."
    I really hope this happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I really hope this happens!
    Plus one...

You're welcome

So long as they don't present Clam with an honorary pair of biking shorts, I'm all for this.

How many laps do they do? That course doesn't seem very long.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Wait - Isn't Jazz in Glen Ellyn that same day?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Some history of the races there in the past, as I was involved with the club that ran it. The the Tour of Lake Ellyn was an event run by the West Suburban Wheelman, and ran from the mid 1960's through roughly 1973, as memory recalls. The main set of events was not open to the public as it was only for sancioned racing cyclists, The ABL of A, which later became the USCF. I was the club Treasurer for the WSW for a while and part-time worker/promoter of the Tour. Before that, in the 60's, I was a spectator of this race and also of other local "criteriums" (a closed course race consisting of many laps). I joined the WSW in 1970 and raced both road and track regionally. I wasn't really all that good at it, yet it was as fun as it was dangerous. I even got out of taking P.E. 2 of 4 years in H.S. because of all the year-round training that I needed to do.

Very excited that it looks likely we will have a criterium returning to the Lake. And hopefully, it won't be drained at that time. We had to deal with predicament one season all those years ago. What a mess that was with construction equipment parked all over the place.

I got to listen to a presentation about the race from one of the Representative of the Intelligentsia Cup this morning. I think the race is going to be awesome! Hopefully I can get invited to the Clamato viewing stand on his roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    Hopefully I can get invited to the Clamato viewing stand on his roof.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar

I believe a bottle of Grey Goose might get you on the waiting list.

Same day as the Windy City Smokeout....damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

What if I got him one of these instead? http://i.imgur.com/cEBIfDU.gifv

Quote Originally Posted by GE Fan View Post
    Same day as the Windy City Smokeout....damn.
    Same day as the vintage races at Road America.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

who is to say Clam won't be in the race? he chased me down one time when I was doing road bike laps at Lake Ellyn.