Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192935363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs III

Yeah, never got the Subway love. Much rather do Jimmy John's.

Marty Balin, singer, founder of the psychedelic rock band Jefferson Airplane, 76

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    [img]
    Marty Balin, singer, founder of the psychedelic rock band Jefferson Airplane, 76
    RIP. I was wondering when he was going to succumb to the thumping he took at Altamont...

Perhaps NSFW in a couple shots...

No idea how Bry missed this...

Otis Rush, Chicago Blues Legend, Dies At 84 (link) NPR

Listen to that opening....sheesh...

Warming up the backhoe for Sears...

Warner Saunders, a versatile Chicago television personality whose career spanned four decades at two stations, died Tuesday at 83.

A headline writer's dream..."Death Penalty Killed"

Washington State’s Supreme Court Declares Death Penalty Unconstitutional

https://freebeacon.com/issues/washin...death-penalty/

Pretty good obit for some guy

Wilmington - Rick Stein, 71, of Wilmington was reported missing and presumed dead on September 27, 2018 when investigators say the single-engine plane he was piloting, The Northrop, suddenly lost communication with air traffic control and disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Rehoboth Beach. Philadelphia police confirm Stein had been a patient at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he was being treated for a rare form of cancer. Hospital spokesman Walter Heisenberg says doctors from Stein's surgical team went to visit him on rounds when they discovered his room was empty. Security footage shows Stein leaving the building at approximately 3:30 Thursday afternoon, but then the video feed mysteriously cuts off. Authorities say they believe Stein took an Uber to the Philadelphia airport where they assume he somehow gained access to the aircraft.

"The sea was angry that day," said NTSB lead investigator Greg Fields in a press conference. "We have no idea where Mr. Stein may be, but any hope for a rescue is unlikely."

Stein's location isn't the only mystery. It seems no one in his life knew his exact occupation.

His daughter, Alex Walsh of Wilmington appeared shocked by the news. "My dad couldn't even fly a plane. He owned restaurants in Boulder, Colorado and knew every answer on Jeopardy. He did the New York Times crossword in pen. I talked to him that day and he told me he was going out to get some grappa. All he ever wanted was a glass of grappa."

Stein's brother, Jim echoed similar confusion. "Rick and I owned Stuart Kingston Galleries together. He was a jeweler and oriental rug dealer, not a pilot." Meanwhile, Missel Leddington of Charlottesville claimed her brother was a cartoonist and freelance television critic for the New Yorker.

David Walsh, Stein's son-in-law, said he was certain Stein was a political satirist for the Huffington Post while grandsons Drake and Sam said they believed Stein wrote an internet sports column for ESPN covering Duke basketball, FC Barcelona soccer, the Denver Broncos and the Tour de France. Stein's granddaughter Evangeline claims he was a YouTube sensation who had just signed a seven-figure deal with Netflix.

When told of his uncle's disappearance, Edward Stein said he was baffled since he believed Stein worked as a trail guide in Rocky Mountain National Park. "He took me on a hike up the Lily Peak Trail back in the 90s. He knew every berry, bush and tree on that trail." Nephew James Stein of Los Angeles claimed his uncle was an A&R consultant for Bad Boy records and ran a chain of legal recreational marijuana dispensaries in Colorado called Casablunta. Niece Courtney Stein, a former Hollywood agent, said her uncle had worked as a contributing writer for Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm and was currently consulting on a new series with Larry David.

People who knew Stein have reported his occupation as everything from gourmet chef and sommelier to botanist, electrician, mechanic and even spy novelist. Police say the volume of contradictory information will make it nearly impossible to pinpoint Stein's exact location.

In fact, the only person who might be able to answer the question, who is the real Rick Stein is his wife and constant companion for the past 14 years, Susan Stein. Detectives say they were unable to interview Mrs. Stein, however neighbors say they witnessed her leaving the home the couple shared wearing dark sunglasses and a fedora, loading multiple suitcases into her car. FAA records show she purchased a pair of one-way tickets to Rome which was Mr. Stein's favorite city. An anonymous source with the airline reports the name used to book the other ticket was Juan Morefore DeRoad, which, according to the FBI, was an alias Stein used for many years.

That is one story.

Another story is that Rick never left the hospital and died peacefully with his wife and his daughter holding tightly to his hands.

You can choose which version you want to believe or share your own story about Rick with us at the Greenville Country Club on Friday, November 9, 2018 from 3:00-6:00pm.

^ I have a funny obit I saved from the Tribune a lot of years back, but it really can't top Rick Stein's. Great post.

George Taliaferro, an all-American running back at Indiana University who was the first African-American drafted by a National Football League team, died on Monday at a nursing home in Mason, Ohio. He was 91. (link)

Everyone knows Jackie Robinson broke the race barrier in Major League Baseball, with the NFL it was Kenny Washington and the Rams in 1946, he signed, without being drafted. But the BEARS actually drafted the first African-American player. Did not know that. Taliaferro chose not to sign with the Bears, but, that is the history.

"Shortly after the draft, Taliaferro happened to be in a bar in Chicago with other players. One of them, holding behind his back a newspaper with an article about the draft, asked the group if they could guess who the Chicago Bears had selected. They began to name white players. No one mentioned Taliaferro, or any other black player.

The answer was Taliaferro. The Bears — the team he had dared to dream of playing for while growing up nearby in Gary, Ind. — had chosen him in the 13th round, about halfway through the draft.

George Halas, the owner and coach of the Bears, lamented losing Taliaferro to the Dons, saying he was the first black player “I’ve felt could make the team.”

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    This board?

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    This board?
    Hopefully not. This board was an integral piece in the D41 lawsuit happening. Without the info about the PAC at 41 coming to light here, it never would have happened. Between this board and Ted's (RIP) previous board, much information about D41 would never have come to light.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    This board is my virtual barbershop. Nice place to share, pick up, or validate any local gossip in a slightly wider circle than my normal acquaintances.

Since some posters feel I am unfair and favor some people, and that I am the problem vs. solution... I have offered my resignation to the Admins. So far, they haven't accepted it.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    And the purging begins...

I would never blame a mod. You are doing what you were told. I did when I ran a board. I had much more hostility at the one I ran. Stoners that dug the band I was running the board for sure do post crap. Literally and figuratively.

Blow up all the forums, keep 2. GE and Not GE. you will be happier. Eliminate the hot buttons, but let people post stuff like D41 in the GE one, and word will get out and it will work just like in the past.