Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14243031323334

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs III

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    "This is why we discourage Moms from joining us on campouts."
    And I suspect that this is why the Girl Scouts don't have as big an outdoor emphasis - there simply aren't enough women willing (or experienced) to do that stuff.

And if I'm allowed to armchair psycholgist this stuff further, the emphasis on beauty and cleanliness that girls learn to be much more focused on, makes them dislike that kind of thing too. I've organized a number of co-ed wilderness trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, and the female point of disgust with sweat/grime/cold/rain/heat is simply a much lower bar than males, on average. There're exceptions of course (both ways). In fact the worst Boundary Waters trip I ever had was a combination of bad weather and three whiny guys.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    And I suspect that this is why the Girl Scouts don't have as big an outdoor emphasis - there simply aren't enough women willing (or experienced) to do that stuff.

And if I'm allowed to armchair psycholgist this stuff further, the emphasis on beauty and cleanliness that girls learn to be much more focused on, makes them dislike that kind of thing too. I've organized a number of co-ed wilderness trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, and the female point of disgust with sweat/grime/cold/rain/heat is simply a much lower bar than males, on average. There're exceptions of course (both ways). In fact the worst Boundary Waters trip I ever had was a combination of bad weather and three whiny guys.
    Exactly...one of my favorite campouts along this idea was at Camp Sol R. Crown near Wilmot ski hill...the landscape there was a weird collection of strange hills and moguls...the boys would make 100 foot plus mudslides (think Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone) and use their rain suits...covered head to toe in mud...smiles from ear to ear...not a place for Moms

Postscript: I would be terribly remiss in not stating a simple fact...the Troop I was involved with couldn't have existed without Moms...their involvement from counselors to Board Members and Offical postions were invaluable and a key factor in our success...just glad they didn't like to camp
    Last edited by Cliché; 05-17-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add postscript

Forum Regular
    8 people in Santa Fe, TX this morning. Maybe more. This s h i t has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    8 people in Santa Fe, TX this morning. Maybe more. This s h i t has to stop.
    Sadly this is now a common occurence, Time/CNN says it's the 22nd of the year...10 souls so far...

(Geez, if I posted what you did, I'd catch **** from the hair-trigger Admin who loves to give me infractions for exactly what others do)

I disagree with their definition of a school shooting. In my mind it is a whack job coming into the school and shooting. Most of the incidents are anything but that.

Their list

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:

A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
    A shooting that occurred on school grounds
    We included grades K through college/university level
    We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
    We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

Quote Originally Posted by DTM View Post
    I disagree with their definition of a school shooting.
    That is why I qualified it...same article said "CNN measured the number of school shootings in 2018 by listing those that occurred on a school campus — from elementary schools to universities — and involved at least one person getting shot. Some nonprofit groups dedicated to ending gun violence have provided higher estimates. For example, Gun Violence Archive, which tracks shootings across the country, counts the Santa Fe incident as the 34th school shooting this year. The Washington Post, which tracks the number of students impacted by school shootings since 1999, said there have now been 16 school shootings this year — all of which occurred on K-12 campuses, and not on college grounds."

http://time.com/5282496/santa-fe-hig...shooting-2018/

Really doesn't change the fact that this is an epidemic. And sad.

It will stop when the media ignores it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Wow...really? That's pretty f***** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Would this work on other things . . . like presidents?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Sadly this is now a common occurence, Time/CNN says it's the 22nd of the year...10 souls so far...

(Geez, if I posted what you did, I'd catch **** from the hair-trigger Admin who loves to give me infractions for exactly what others do)
    Nobody reads my posts.