Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8182425262728

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs III

Glazed and Infused donuts and bakery
    http://www.dailyherald.com/business/...icago-bakeries

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Yossarian's Avatar
    Jerry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Smuggled a corned beef sandwich into space . . . and brought the Sigma Chi flag to the moon. Was really an interesting man.

https://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-astrona...lle-1821845571

Whoa Nellie, Keith Jackson age 89

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Whoa Nellie, Keith Jackson age 89
    The voice of many a Saturday afternoon of my youth.

Funny, in the times we live now, Twitter is arguing whether it's Whoa Nellie! or Whoa Nelly! And in the times we live now, I decided to research it. Although I specialize in clichés, I have been known to dabble in idioms too.

“Whoa!” was a command for livestock to stop moving forward. Nelly (or Nellie) was the stereotypical name for a female horse or mule. “Whoa Nelly!” follows the same conventions as “Hold your horses!”

The phrase was popularized to American Culture by The Roy Rogers Show, broadcast on TV from 1951-57, developed out of a series of 1930's-40's B-movies starring the "King of the Cowboys." It featured a 1946 Willys CJ-2A Jeep named Nellybelle, which had some unusual bodywork. It was in fact owned by Roy, but was driven in the show by his comic sidekick, Pat Brady. The name apparently developed out of Pat riding an ornery mule in the earlier movies, and addressing it with phrases like "Whoa, Nelly!"

So Jackson picked it up from there right? Well, here is where it gets confusing, because of Jackson. In the last couple years, Jackson credited “Whoa, Nellie” to his great grandfather, a craftsman from the South who used it as an idiom of frustration. Here he talks about it...

Prior to that explanation, Jackson used to credit his former colleague ESPN sports host Roy Firestone as the origin. And years (1992) before that Jackson said to journalist Dan Cahill, now of the Chicicago Sun-Times, "I don’t know if I’ve ever used that phrase. I mean, I look out at the horses in my corral and not one is named Nellie."

And in the times we live now, I decided to visit Urban Dictionary where I believe I have finally uncovered Jackson's inspiration, definition 3. Urban Dictionary "Whoa Nelly" (link)

So to summarize, it is "Whoa, Nelly" from the name Nellybelle. Jackson was a great announcer, a liar and a dirty old man.

Now I'm off to work on the origins of “fummmbbbbbbalahhh, AlllllahhhBAMah.”

Last edited by Cliché; 01-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of The Cranberries, 46. Too young.