Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1525313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Tombstones & Epitaphs III

Couldn't put my thoughts into words yesterday on this and still can't today...to Bry's comments I'd say Tom Petty too. This one hurt...often watch this late, late at night...wishing I was him...to travel the world, eat amazing food with drink in hand...depression is evil. RIP Tony!

Longtime Cubs equipment manager Yosh Kawano, 'the King of Wrigley Field,' dead at 97

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Longtime Cubs equipment manager Yosh Kawano, 'the King of Wrigley Field,' dead at 97
    from his Wiki page:

Reportedly, the contract for the sale of the Cubs from the Wrigley family to the Chicago Tribune in 1981 included a clause to guarantee Kawano a job for life with the Cubs. Former Cubs player and enshrined member of the Baseball Hall of Fame Ryne Sandberg has suggested that if the Cubs were ever to change the name of Wrigley Field, that the ballpark should be named Yosh Kawano Field. Sandberg also thanked Kawano in his Hall of Fame induction speech

On June 16, 2008, Kawano donated his trademark fishing hat to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

According to the June 3rd, 1943, issue of The Sporting News, Kawano's first baseball job was as batboy for the Chicago White Sox during their California spring training that season. This assignment brought him reprieve from an internment camp for Japanese citizens. Kawano had been interned at the Poston War Relocation Center in Arizona.

In all, Kawano worked under 37 Cubs managers, 12 general managers and two owners.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    ...as batboy for the Chicago White Sox during their California spring training that season. This assignment brought him reprieve from an internment camp for Japanese citizens. Kawano had been interned at the Poston War Relocation Center in Arizona.
    Cool, maybe the next Cubs equipment manager is sitting in a Trump internment camp right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Cool, maybe the next Cubs equipment manager is sitting in a Trump internment camp right now...
    Now that is funny!

I believe that the Village (taxpayers) spent nearly a million on improvements for that project and additionally rebated up to another million dollars in sales tax.

I'll bet we now don't even having standing as creditors....

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    Sign on their door today stating The Fresh Market stores will close Monday July 9th from 3-6pm for a mandatory all company, all-employee meeting.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class GESince1958's Avatar
    IHOb

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Bry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    I believe that the Village (taxpayers) spent nearly a million on improvements for that project and additionally rebated up to another million dollars in sales tax.

Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rath View Post
    guess those Glen Ellyn incentives weren't enough! next time give them a dumpster full of cash....

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

This is why government needs to stay out of the business realm. The market will dictate which companies can afford to build in the first place....

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    The upfront incentives for Fresh Market were only for street infrastructure, correct? Those will live on much longer than Fresh Market. Presumably some other business will find a use for that lot given the surrounding infrastructure.