Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: pedestrian bridge

pedestrian bridge

Glen Ellyn studying pedestrian bridge by downtown train station (link) — Daily Herald

Excerpts…

"Drivers are idling for blocks, and pedestrians are stuck on one side of the tracks. That's the picture when a freight train crawls through downtown Glen Ellyn. And with Union Pacific interested in adding a fourth track, village trustees are eager to find ways to relieve congestion.

With that in mind, the board plans to start applying for grants that could help trustees decide whether to proceed to a deeper study of either a tunnel or a bridge where cars could bypass the train tracks near the west side of the downtown. On the east, Village President Alex Demos and several trustees say they want to move forward on the first phase of designing a bridge where pedestrians could walk over the tracks.

Here's a look at some of the issues…"

Shouldn't it have a tudor roof?

The title of the article doesn't mention there was a discussion on a vehicular bypass. Interesting comment from the article:

"Jennifer Mitchell, one of the village's consultants" ...."Mitchell's firm, HDR Inc., has completed a feasibility study of underpasses and overpasses at several locations just outside the central business district. Under the worst-case scenario -- a tunnel that would end at Lorraine Street and involve the most structural work -- the project could cost an estimated $49.5 million. Overpasses are generally cheaper, Mitchell said." ... "With traffic flowing through the downtown, Mitchell expects businesses would benefit. "It will be easier to get from one side to the other," she said. "It really is an issue even just for people passing through. Maybe they'll now want to say, 'Hey I'll stop here' because it's easy to get back and forth through the downtown instead of sitting and waiting all the time when a train comes through, and the trains are going to increase. We know that. UP wants to add a line to it, so it's only going to get worse."

So that's what the CBD solution is.....

My gosh, possibly 4 tracks? That's a rail yard, not a suburban commuting railway line. I had read Metra wanted to use the existing middle track for improved express service to the far suburbs like ours and beyond. That may be the incentive for this (which I support).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
    My gosh, possibly 4 tracks? That's a rail yard, not a suburban commuting railway line. I had read Metra wanted to use the existing middle track for improved express service to the far suburbs like ours and beyond. That may be the incentive for this (which I support).
    I read right over that, thanks for that pointing out. 4 tracks, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    I read right over that, thanks for that pointing out. 4 tracks, wow!
    Yeah exactly. That's going to have some significant impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
    Yeah exactly. That's going to have some significant impact.

Yes. So much so that one would expect there to be at least a hint of it elsewhere.

Has anyone seen mention of this multi-billion dollar massive national infrastructure project anywhere at all beyond the village?

A project of that size, if it existed, would probably be announced by a President, possibly alongside a Prime Minister, and certainly with an assortment of state and federal pols.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    There was this in 2014
    I'd always heard third line, not a fourth line, but....

http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleas...2&RecNum=12374

Never seen this particular rendering. Looks like it could be built from materials stolen from the Dominick's on Roosevelt.

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class Lupechennel's Avatar
    Don't we kinda need more/better train parking...?

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    I'm sure the folks waiting years for parking would agree.

In the Herald article, the "fourth line" could have been chalked up to a misquote. However...

This article confirms the quote and who said it, Jennifer Mitchell. Worthy of a story unto itself.

Glen Ellyn trustees study downtown overpass, underpass options (link) — My Suburban Life

"Village trustees continue to discuss the possible construction of vehicular and pedestrian overpasses and underpasses as a way to improve circulation downtown.

Glen Ellyn's downtown business district is bisected by train tracks. A study done last year evaluated the feasibility of improving the pedestrian crossing at Taylor Avenue and identified suitable locations for a pedestrian underpass near the Metra commuter train station at 551 Crescent Blvd. and a vehicular grade-separated rail crossing within the downtown.

"The number of trains are going to increase," Jennifer Mitchell of HDR Engineering told trustees during a special workshop meeting Nov. 16. "It's a safety thing." Union Pacific Railroad is interested in adding a fourth track, she said. Her firm did a feasibility report on alternatives to surface crossings at the railroad tracks for both pedestrians and vehicles in the downtown. According to the report, locations west of Main Street appear to offer the only opportunities for non-grade crossings in the area."

I believe the reporter is mistaken about Metra/UP planning for a "4th track" through GE. They are planning upgrades to the 3 tracks and there will be more traffic, but there has never been any talk of the 4th track through the western suburbs. There are plans to add a 3rd track west of West Chicago and a few places nearer to Chicago but no 4th track here.

As for the pedestrian bridge, I say forget it. Too much cost and intrusion, not enough benefit. Just stand there and wait for the train to pass...oh wait...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I believe the reporter is mistaken about Metra/UP planning for a "4th track" through GE. They are planning upgrades to the 3 tracks and there will be more traffic, but there has never been any talk of the 4th track through the western suburbs. There are plans to add a 3rd track west of West Chicago and a few places nearer to Chicago but no 4th track here.

As for the pedestrian bridge, I say forget it. Too much cost and intrusion, not enough benefit. Just stand there and wait for the train to pass...oh wait...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING...ANOTHER TRAINS COMING
    You probably didn't see my post as you posted 1 minute after I did…two different reporters heard the same line, fourth track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    It is costly. But when you have commuters anxious to board their train and a freight prevents them from getting to work on time, people get angry. It's a long term safety issue too. These suburbs are just going to become more congested over time, and the sooner we provide over or under track access the better for livability. Back in the 1920's it was farms all around and this was just a milk run stop. The demographics have changed.

Wheaton has done a nice job with the College Ave. pedestrian underpass, in my opinion.

Don't know how in the heck they are going to fit in another track.
    Hope they do build the pedestrian overpass in my lifetime. We south side of the tracks peeps who take the train will be able to sleep in a couple more minutes.