Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike

Quote Originally Posted by isaac View Post
    Road bike? What size?
    56cm cross bike.

I would think that should be easy to move around here, especially with the fall season coming up fast. If you do decide to sell, post the details. I can think of a few people off hand that may be interested...I could be one of those people.

I thought about putting it up, will give it a bit of thought...

For anyone considering a new bike this season, March is considered a great time to negotiate a killer deal. This is around the time when the local bike shops are in their most serious cash flow crunch. No sales, a lean winter with rent and utilities piling up and they now need to pony up for Spring inventory. For many bikes, half of MSRP should be too high - at the right bike store.

There are a number of Chicago area bike shops already known to be under pressure, with further pressure from the glut that the Performance Bike liquidation flooded the market with and a flat industry outlook. Glen Ellyn is not on the list though, they are in great shape and just invested in a renovation.

And stay away from Spokes at Danada in Wheaton for anything; bikes, parts or service. Terrible, absolutely wretched reputation for high prices, random part stripping/downgrading off of new showroom bikes and price gouging the unsuspecting with over MSRP ... and shoddy repair service. And all of that, still, even with Sammy split off and owning another area bike store.
    Last edited by jombl; 03-07-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Forum Regular
    Jombl-the next time I see you, remind me to tell you a funny Spokes/Sammy story.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post

And stay away from Spokes at Danada in Wheaton for anything; bikes, parts or service.
    Is this true for their offerings on the low end of the budget scale? If so I could have used this post a few weeks ago before buying a bike for #1 son.

I loathe that place. Took my Niner on a particular ill-advised and sloppy rain ride to Wayne one day after work. Came home and cleaned it off the best I could. On the advice of a friend, I took it to Spokes for a tune up and cleaning as it had been a year.

Went to pick it up and they snagged it off the hook. As I was walking it to the front to pay, I noticed my rear brake lever was frozen and would not move. The front was the exact opposite. I held it down and was able to push the bike the bike while the lever was engaged all they way. I paid, took it back, told them the problem, they apologized, threw it on the rack and played with it for 15 minutes and then tested it out back. I was told it was good to go . . . and like a moron, I took it to the car, took off the front wheel and put it on top of the car.

That night, I went for a ride. Went down my driveway, then my street . . . which is downhill . . . and as I hit the GW parking lot, I came to the realization that my brakes did not work. Interesting.

Took it back to Spokes and sat in the store for an hour while the brain trust huddled around it in the surgical theater. They came out and said they didn't know what was wrong with it. One hour and these guys couldn't figure it out. So out came the darts. They said it likely had "contaminated brake pads." I questioned how. No answer. They also said I should change my rotors as they were bad. My relatively new XTR rotors. That likely had about 500 miles on them and cost over $200 a pair. Let's swap 'em out! I relented and told them to order the brake pads. That was on a Sunday. So if you know how QBP, the parts wholesaler, works, you order the part Monday, one day FedEx from MN, the parts are there Tuesday. I called Wednesday, because why wouldn't you rush something that you ****ed up the first time? Was told it wasn't done. So at this point, in peak riding season, I have not had my bike for close to two weeks. The next day, I went to buy something at Whole Foods and I said to myself, go get that bike. Went to the poor kid working the desk and asked if it was done. Was told it wasn't scheduled to be completed until the following Wednesday. Eight days after they got the part. For a botched repair. Now, if I am an owner and I know this, that mechanic would be told to move that bike to the head of the list.

I told the kid to get the bike off the hook, politely as it wasn't his fault, and bring it up. He was flustered and I had to explain that he had not done anything wrong. Explained the situation to him and he said that wasn't right. Etc., etc.

To top it off, the mechanic who was working on my bike paid me a wonderful compliment by saying, "You have a really nice bike, but these brakes are crummy." My crummy brakes are TRP cable actuated hydraulics which are pretty much seen as the best brakes for those who cannot run a closed hydraulic system. Icing on the cake.

Took the bike to RTT Cycles in downtown Downers Grove. Andy Almazan, the owner, whom I believe used to work for SRAM Race Support, fixed it in a day. $30. The problem? The rainy ride on the Prairie Path had turned the limestone dust into a slurry that made its way into my brake cable housings and, once dry, essentially turned into cement The cables were fine, but the housings needed to be replaced.

Shops like Spokes are headed the way of the dinosaur. Won't be stepping back in any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post

That night, I went for a ride. Went down my driveway, then my street . . . which is downhill . . . and as I hit the GW parking lot, I came to the realization that my brakes did not work. Interesting.
    Is it wrong, as I read this post and pictured it in my mind, that I laughed out loud? I feel bad, I really do. So I guess it's wrong.

Meanwhile......hydraulic brakes? Now that you lost all the weight are those really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Is it wrong, as I read this post and pictured it in my mind, that I laughed out loud? I feel bad, I really do. So I guess it's wrong.

Meanwhile......hydraulic brakes? Now that you lost all the weight are those really necessary?
    I don't believe there is a gravel bike that has ever been designed with caliper brakes. If they could figure out how to make discs safer in a road race crash scenario, all road bikes would have them, too. Caliper brakes, like large bike shops, are going the way of the dodo bird.

Disc https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9

Plus . . . lost weight would not be a reason to go back to ancient technology. That's what owning old cars is for. Allowing you to go back to the past.

I've used Prairie Patch Cycle in Winfield for my tune ups, they always have done right by me. When my TREK Cronus had the C-bracket that holds the rear shifter snap, they found me a new frame and transferred all my components and accessories for $400. This was after trying to get TREK to accept the break as a warranty item.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    Dutch bike sold last week, my daughter was happy to have the cash.

I should sell my bike, I really want to upgrade to a Felt V85. I think my wife would divorce me if I got it without selling my current one year old bike.
    What the heck was I thinking? I can't believe I wanted to sell my bike. I didn't even consider selling it last week when I was offered a Bianchi (now those are beautiful bikes!) at a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by middlein87 View Post
    Is this true for their offerings on the low end of the budget scale? If so I could have used this post a few weeks ago before buying a bike for #1 son.
    Mid, How many cyclists do you know that you could have asked?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I've used Prairie Patch Cycle ... TREK
    Trek is interesting, they apparently have significant dealer support. Trek offers training and support for dealers on every aspect of their business from finance to management, marketing and beyond.

They also, I believe, encourage their dealers to stay lean and stock their core, but use just in time ordering for the bikes that sell slower, and surprisingly to not give any floor space to models that don't fit their market.

You definitely notice the professionalism that marks a Trek store. I've heard that Schwinn dealers once had a unique position and were said to be as lucrative and dependable as a McDonald's franchise. Trek may be Schwinn's natural heir for mass market bicycles in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jombl View Post
    Trek is interesting, they apparently have significant dealer support. Trek offers training and support for dealers on every aspect of their business from finance to management, marketing and beyond.

They also, I believe, encourage their dealers to stay lean and stock their core, but use just in time ordering for the bikes that sell slower, and surprisingly to not give any floor space to models that don't fit their market.

You definitely notice the professionalism that marks a Trek store. I've heard that Schwinn dealers once had a unique position and were said to be as lucrative and dependable as a McDonald's franchise. Trek may be Schwinn's natural heir for mass market bicycles in the US.
    I could do a long commentary on all this, as it was my career for 30+ years. I will say the lucrative part might not be all correct, as lucrative pretty much didn't happen for me, even in Naperville. It was a living, and long long hours. Glad I now get a decent sized bi-weekly paycheck (not at all bike biz). I also get paid 12 months of the year, very unlike that bike biz thing I did.