Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Glen Ellyn footballers

Hitters to clash in Rose Bowl (Walsh, Caspers share prep memories) (link) — University of Iowa

Excerpts…

"One Stanford football player isn’t surprised how Jordan Walsh has dominated as a senior offensive lineman at Iowa. Johnny Caspers has been watching Walsh work ever since the pair teamed up as starters on the offensive line on the same team at Glenbard West High School in Glen Ellyn, Ill. Walsh was a year ahead of Caspers in high school and when he promoted to the varsity team during his sophomore season it was Walsh who helped Caspers adjust.

“I’ll never forget how he was there for me when I was trying to figure everything out,’’ Caspers said. “I was a sophomore, the varsity was all new to me and he took the time to help get me ready to play and feel comfortable with what I was doing. That’s the kind of guy he is.’’

Friday, the two will be reunited as starters in the Rose Bowl, although they will be on opposite sidelines for the 4:10 p.m. game.

“It’s crazy how here we are, a thousand miles away from home, starting in the same Rose Bowl,’’ Caspers said. “The odds of that seem so unlikely, but it’s pretty cool. It means we’ve both had a pretty good year and our teams have had good seasons.’’ Earning first-time all-Big Ten honors this season, Walsh will make the 38th start of his career on Friday when the 6-foot-4, 290-pounder opens at right guard for the Hawkeyes in Iowa’s first Rose Bowl appearance in 25 years. The 6-4, 300-pound Caspers is in his second season as a starter for the Cardinal, typically playing right guard but lining up as a center in short-yardage situations.

Walsh isn’t surprised that Caspers has succeeded as well, saying both players found the right type of programs to play for based on their skill set. “Iowa and Stanford are two teams built around strong offensive lines, so we found a good fit,’’ Walsh said. “He’s a great guy and he’s having a heck of a career at Stanford.’’ Both credit what they learned at Glenbard West from coach Chad Hetlet and his staff for helping them get to where they are today. “It was a great environment to learn in,’’ Walsh said. “It’s pretty similar to the way things are at Iowa, the work ethic that it takes and the way the expectations that you embrace. It prepared me well for the next level.’’ Caspers understood that shortly after he was introduced to Walsh.

Caspers has ties to the state of Iowa – his parents both grew up in Cedar Rapids and he still has a number of relatives in the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area – and his father Scott, a teacher at Glenbard West, actually dropped a hint or two to Walsh that the Iowa program might we worth a look. “His dad slid me a media guide of the Hawkeyes one time when I think we were outside doing drills or running. He told me I’d look good in black and gold,’’ said Walsh, who ultimately picked Iowa over Michigan. “Going to Johnny’s house, there was always a lot of Iowa memorabilia, stuff like that, because both of his parents went to Iowa and are big fans. Their oldest, Will Caspers, went to Iowa, too.’’ Caspers didn’t receive a scholarship offer from Iowa."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Along those lines... (Excerpts)

[URL="http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151229/entlife/151229130/"][B]'Teen Wolf' star grew up as one of 15 kids in Glen Ellyn (link)."
    Ryan is a great young man from a great family. It has been fun following his career on TV. We got our dog from one of Ryan's sisters one year ago tonight.

Stanford football elects its captains for the season (link)

"The Stanford football team selected five captains for the 2016 season, the program announced Sunday evening. They were outside linebacker Peter Kalambayi, running back Christian McCaffrey, strong safety Dallas Lloyd, offensive guard Johnny Caspers and defensive end Solomon Thomas.

The captains were picked by a player vote.

Caspers is earning a graduate degree in Earth systems. The fifth-year senior is a native of Glen Ellyn, Illinois."

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    Sports Illustrated lists GE's very own Johnny Caspers as a first round NFL draft pick. Couldn't happen to a nicer family. Mr. Caspers has positively impacted countless young lives as a teacher in D41. Just an amazing man.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/27/nfl...abrill-peppers

And in the Ivy League...

Yale, Dartmouth meet in football for 100th time Saturday (link) — SportzEdge

TACKLE LEADER
    Hayden Carlson (Glen Ellyn, Ill.), a junior safety, led the Ivy League in 2015 with 92 total tackles and a 9.2 average. He began 2016 with a game and career-high 14 tackles and set up scores with an interception (48-yard return) and a fumble recovery. He had eight stops, a fumble recovery and a solo tackle on a fake field goal attempt at Cornell before registering nine tackles against Lehigh. Carlson leads Yale this season with 22 solos and 31 total stops.

Having a great season…

Yale football hosts Penn (link) — SportzEdge

"Hayden Carlson (Glen Ellyn, Ill.), a junior safety, led the Ivy League in 2015 with 92 total tackles and a 9.2 average. He began 2016 with a game and career-high 14 tackles and set up scores with an interception (48-yard return) and a fumble recovery. He had eight stops, a fumble recovery and a solo tackle on a fake field goal attempt at Cornell. Carlson, whose interception against Dartmouth clinched the win on Oct. 8, leads Yale this season with 32 solos, 48 total stops, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries."

Saints Sign Center Chris Watt — NewOrleansSaints.com

The New Orleans Saints announced today that they have signed free agent C Chris Watt. The announcement was made by Saints’ Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis.

A third round draft pick by the San Diego Chargers (89th overall) out of Notre Dame in 2014, Watt has appeared in 17 games along the interior of the Chargers offensive line with eight starts at center. Watt, 6-3, 310, appeared in 12 games with five starts at center as a rookie in 2014. In 2015, the Glen Ellyn, Ill. native played in five contests with three starts in the middle. In 2016, he missed the entire season with a knee injury.

Watt was a First-team All-Independent FBS selection at Notre Dame as both a junior and a senior, appearing in 50 total contests, while starting 37 career contests at left guard. As a senior, he was part of an offensive line that allowed just eight sacks, tied for second-fewest in the nation.

Well this completely sucks...

Badgers by position (link) USA Today

RUNNING BACKS AT A GLANCE
    Redshirt freshman tailback Sam Brodner, who suffered a torn ACL in the final spring practice, likely will miss the season.

And this sucks too...

Chris Watt retires...injuries suck

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...urphy_pla.html

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliché View Post
    Well this completely sucks...

Badgers by position (link) USA Today

RUNNING BACKS AT A GLANCE
    Redshirt freshman tailback Sam Brodner, who suffered a torn ACL in the final spring practice, likely will miss the season.
    Sam had successful surgery and is a few months into his recovery. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
    Sam had successful surgery and is a few months into his recovery. 😀
    Good to hear.